Ticks

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by Tango, May 5, 2006.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I use K9 Advantix and I'm very dissatisfied with it. It's supposed to repel ticks but it doesn't on my dogs. Granted, we have an immense tick problem here and several different types of ticks but the stuff doesn't even kill the ticks that latch on. Have been using it for three months now and last time was put on just 2 weeks ago and haven't seen any decrease in tick numbers on my dogs. Poor Jazz is just covered :( And I keep them out of water overnight when I put it on them. It isn't expired btw and seems to work fine for fleas. It seems to work better for the smooth coated dogs but they still have ticks, just not so many. Poor Jazz, a Great Pyr looks like I don't use anything on her :( I am going to get the Preventic collars but saving up the money right now.

What spot on are you using?

2. primal1

primal1 Well-Known Member Supporter

sorry to hear that, I am constantly picking them off my employers dogs and the farmer nextdoor... I know they use something but not sure what it is.
    I guess I have been extremely lucky with my two dogs, no flees or ticks yet but I do add lots of garlic to their food 2 to 4 cloves.
    You may want to get Jazz's goat trimmed down when you try the collar.

I so hope it helps!

3. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

You need a flock of guineas!!! I don't have fleas or ticks anymore. And if you have an infestation, it won't matter what you use on them. It probably is repelling some of them but not all. Also, you can try fleabane and citronella.

4. primal1

primal1 Well-Known Member Supporter

So true, guineas are awesome creatures! The best alarm system I ever had haha

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Guineas are a "been there, done that" for me. I brought 25 with me when I moved last year. Due to predation I am now down to 3 but when I had upwards of 12, I thought they would drive me crazy. I'm also not willing to suffer through the amount of crap (always on the porch or patio furniture it seems) that a free range flock of anything entails. They have no discretion and eat the bugs at my neighbor's vacant farmland next door just as much as they eat on my property. Nope. :nono:

6. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

We are using Front Line spray and flea/tick collars on the dogs, and on the slick haired ones, it's working.

We have a Jack Russell mix, however, with fluffy/wirey hair, and he is COVERED every couple of days. We live in the middle of 200 acres, so he has a large free roaming area. Keeping a JR inside would be impossible. He'd go bonkers and take the rest of us with him.

We're thinking of trimming his hair, but he doesn't have much anyway, and I fear he will get sunburned.

Any suggestions?

7. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

I always just mist daily for 2 weeks with Bug Blocker- then every week. It works well at repeling flies and fleas and ticks and skeeters. After tick season I just keep ears sprayed for flies. Before that I used Bronco, but that has to be used every day. When I take the dogs hiking in the woods, I water down some skin-so-soft and spritz that on them. They never come home with ticks. I would use it daily, but I think that it would build up oils on the coat too much.

8. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Last year I used Adam's Flea and Tick Spray, Preventic colars, and K9 Advantix on the dogs. I thought I was filling them with poisons and dont want to use so much junk on them. I didn't have the Great Pyr last tick season so I don't know if that toxic combination would have worked on her. If only one product actually worked well :shrug: I feel the same about my horses and flies. Nothing that is sold as a repellent actually repels for more than a couple of hours so you have to keep applying it. Isn't this essentially hurting the animals?

9. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I'm not finding Bug Blocker. Is it Bite Blocker?

What company makes it?

We are going to get some Brewer's Yeast today, too.

10. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

11. kgchis

kgchis Well-Known Member

We had a tick problem this year too. Especially on the dogs ears. The vet recommended we keep using frontline monthly and add a flea/tick collar. I must say it has made a world of difference. We are still getting a few ticks off of them, but very few alive. Their ears are much better and aren't raw from having ticks pulled off all the time.

We also use a tick shampoo once in a blue moon. It isn't preventative (just kills what is on them). The vet said that would be fine but to make sure there was 2 days between the baths and the frontline.

12. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds II Corinthians 5:7 Supporter

Well, I have been there; done that with all these suggestions. We live in country where dogs free-range over 6 acres. With chickens, ducks and guineas running freely, our dogs have not been bothered with many ticks over the past few years; yet, this year I am seeing some show up.

I have been hearing of what some goat-breeders are using on "all" their animals. 5% seven dust! Yes, the same dust used to combat insects on vegetation only less potent. Next time I am in town, I plan on getting some to brush into the coat of our dogs (and our goats).

13. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

isn't sevin dust toxic?

14. kaelinda

kaelinda Member

as far as i am concerned it is- if it kills;it's gotta be

try vinegar -it works for humans and animals. i feed it strait to my goats , the drink it from a bucket and i sprinkle it on my pets food, just make sure it is real apple cider vinegar, not colored or flavored. i think it works by balancing the acidity. anyway we are pretty much tick and flea free here in the heart of tn. with the tallest, thickest vegetation of any farm around.

15. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Frontline Plus works good on my dogs for ticks.
    Now I want a product that will work like that against mosquitos.
    My vet recommends Defend for both. I may try that.

16. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

I was just going to post a thread about ticks, so this is a timely topic.

I have a question - how do you get the danged things off the dog? :grump: Our dog came in with the first tick (we just moved to the "real" country). We poured rubbing alcohol on it, we put solvent on it, we put a hot matchhead to it - I finally yanked it with the tweezers and hope I got all of it.

We don't even really have "brush" - he runs through some dead weedy areas sometimes. :shrug:

17. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Forget all the stuff you did at first and for subsequent ticks just yank them straight out with the tweezers.

I'll never forget a story I was told about using "stuff" to get a tick to "back out". Some guy started with alcohol, obviously didn't work so he decided to burn the tick off. You can guess what happened to all the alcohol still on him!

18. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Oh! Okay. Everything I've ever read says not to do that, if you leave the mouthparts in, it causes an infection. :shrug: Up to now, I've only ever had ticks on my horse, and they've always fallen off on their own (meaning I never actually saw the tick, just the yucky spot where they were).

19. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Grasp it as close to the dog's body as possible. You're not too likely to leave the head. That's how they recommend removing a tick on a human too.

20. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I'm going to try BioSpot and the Preventic collar. We had very good luck with Bio Spot in Texas but stopped using it in Florida. It wasn't very good for the fleas there.