ticks on my dogs!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by baddogbad, May 25, 2006.

1. baddogbad

baddogbad Active Member

normally frontline can protect my dogs from ticks.

i live in southwest missouri. its been a drought for a year or so or three. in the last few months rain every other day or so.

the last few weeks i have plucked tick after tick after tick from my dogs. and many from me.

i'm getting the "hee bee jee bees" because everytime i feel something (imagined or not) on me i start to freak and scratch and swat...

any suggestions about powders or collars or anything?

anything?

2. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I have lived in NW Arkansas for around 16 year. Areas that have had quite lot warm blooded animals whether cattle, dogs, whatever generally develope heavy infestation of ticks.

My place for example started with relatively few ticks. Had dogs and goats, etc, then ticks built up to where I just didnt want to go out in summer months. I mean I'd literally get dozens of ticks on me in very short amount of time and have to do detailed tick search on my body everytime I went out and came back in. Then one early spring had bad grass fire. Took out not only 3 "parts cars" but eliminated lot of ticks. I also started using the frontline on the dogs. It lasts quite while for fleas, but for ticks you have to treat the dogs every 3 to 4 weeks. When they start showing ticks, time for another treatment. Anyway I am now back to where unless its late summer and I brush against wrong bush/tall grass and get cluster of teeny tiny seed ticks, I dont even think much about ticks anymore.

I might mention others have had great success in keeping barnyard tick free using free roaming chickens and other poultry.

3. Guinea mama

Guinea mama Well-Known Member

Guineas, guineas, guineas, they are the anwer to your tick problems. They are tick eating machines and keep our yard tick free. :dance:

4. RedTartan

RedTartan Icelandic Sheep Supporter

I'm getting some muscovy ducks in a few weeks. I hear they are also bug eating machines...

:) RedTartan

5. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Guinea mama ... I think it's time we got some breding stock from your Iowa guineas for our Arkansas guineas. We've had guineas from the get-go...and they help but are no match for the tick population this Spring.

Hugs
    marlene

6. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

For you or the dogs?

donsgal

7. Jane in southwest WI

Jane in southwest WI Well-Known Member

I've also noticed that Frontline isn't as effective as it used to be on my dog. I've seen the occasional live tick filled up with blood fall off him even a week or 2 after we put the Frontline on, which means the Frontline didn't do its job completely. I think it's better than nothing though. I can't think of any other stuff you can put on the dog. Just brush often and inspect. We keep a small jar filled with rubbing alcolhol handy to kill the ticks we find.

8. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

When you feed your dogs, mix alittle garlic powder in with the food. When I used to live in my cabin up in the mountains I fed my dog garlic, it draws into their system and the ticks dislike it. And believe me there were plenty ticks as I was surrounded by forest. I'd find a tick on her once in awhile and she never had fleas!

9. chris30523

chris30523 Well-Known Member

I have been wondering the same thing.My dogs are tick magnets this year.I also have found them on me eek.Not attached though yet but it keeps you checking.I cannot have any foul due to restrictions and am reluctant to use some of the strong chemicals.If I cannot get it on my skin why would it be okay to use it on the dogs??Garlic may be something to try though..

10. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

If it's a fuzzy dog, that's a problem. Frontline works well on our slick haired dogs, but the fuzzy Jack Russell Terrier's hair apparently combs the ticks off the plants in the woods.

We have added Brewer's Yeast to their food, and we put diatomaceous earth on him at least every other day.

11. Tarot Farm

Tarot Farm Well-Known Member

I even sprayed for ticks this year....and I didn't find any until yesterday!

I found ticks on one of the horses too. This morning the Mama kitty had several ticks stacked up behind one ear...plus the scratch marks where she had tried to get rid of it herself.

A friend of mine stopped in to help me put up some fence. He had one attached to his belly and that is all that it took! I started mowing the grass down to about ground level...and kept checking to see if I had any ticks on me! I have just about went crazy these past two days checking for ticks...
    I can feel them, but when I check....they are not there....creepy!

I use Frontline on the dogs and cats...plus spray the grass and trees. I also have free range poultry too. Last year I burned off the yard in the fall and then again this spring...I still have ticks here.....HEY! Do you think they are
    ILLEGALS? They seem to be taking over the place....hhmmm.

12. Linda H

Linda H Missouri Ozarks

I got a bad batch of Frontline last year from a feed store. I bought this years from the vet and I'm not having any trouble with fleas or ticks. oops, the dogs arent having any trouble. I use Avon's Bug Guard to keep them off me.

13. baddogbad

baddogbad Active Member

hey, thanks all...

the "tick public transit vehicles" are walking around the cabin tonight with bad breath. i'll try some of the other things suggested but i did have some garlic powder in the spice rack.

since i'm king of this dump i announced my "tick amnesty" program (with the "guest tick" provision) tonight in a loud voice off the back porch.

i wonder if they will listen...

14. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

I'm glad I saw this thread. Frontline is not working on my dogs. I've used it for years now and this summer,my dogs are still getting fleas and the occassional tick. Both of my dogs are slick haired,by the way.
    I've heard that Bio Spot is a good product. Anyone ever used that?

15. doglover

doglover Well-Known Member

I have relatives in SE missouri and they say its the worst they've had for years! You can't even walk out your door without being covered.Frontline doesn't seem to be working as well anymore. So we switched to advantage last year and it done the trick.

16. chris30523

chris30523 Well-Known Member

I had a good chuckle over this..They are sort of like bus's for critters..I hope the garlic works I have been trying it also. can't stink any worse than some of the perfumes(heavy on the fumes) they apply to themselves.If it stinks to bad to eat they wear it with pride...

17. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

I use 10% Sevin. About once a week I just take a small handfull and rub it on them as they get petted. Wherever they like to rest I also toss a bit there too. One year the ticks got so bad that drastic measures were taken. I noticed they just congregated around the brick doorsteps and patio where the dog loved to rest in the heat of the day. I took about 2 1/2 gallons of gasoline on each patio/steps and satuated every crevice/joint. No more ticks/ants/bugs/spiders/anything. That and dunking them in some Happy Jacks flea dip did the trick. Also at summers end I poured a bit of the dip on any fire ant hills-they just loved the stuff-hey hey hey. Ticks are dangerous critters. I have had tick fever,a buddy nearly died, and my old Corps buddies wife is in the hospital right now with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. Be careful with them as the fever is life threatening. My doctor bud says that by even crawling over a scratch one can contract it from an infected tick-ugh.

18. halfpint

halfpint Well-Known Member Supporter

I removed a tick from my daughter's ear on Wednesday, cleaned the site with hydrogen peroxide and the tick was still walking around after I removed it - we saved it in a baggie. Friday morning there was pus coming out of the site of the bite and it had turned red, so took her to the Dr. He's concerned about lyme disease or rocky mountain fever, or other possible diseases, so she's on a round of antibiotics now.

The tick is so small that we had trouble finding it in the baggie at the Dr'.s office. It would have gone unnoticed almost anywhere else on her body.

Dawn

19. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

Halfpint, "deer ticks" are very small. About the size of the "O"s but a small case one "o". They love Pine straw/bark. We took out all our pines about five yrs ago and that helped rid us of lots of them-have not seen one in a long time. Keep a good eye on that child. Any time we get a tick off we note it on a calendar in the kitchen. If a "halo" forms around the site then absolutely get a physician to check it out. Lymes disease is a mean and chronic illness causing life long problems. If you are out and about then do a good check on everyone daily or more often. Especially on the head-they love to crawl upwards or constricted places-but have found them most anywhere. Peroxide is not as good as alcohol as it is a very mild wash.