Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day folks,

Well here we are in summer now and of course so is Tick Season. Now I am rural, in forest where far too many deer think it's home. We have always had ticks and know the drill when dealing with the little monsters BUT I thought I should post something here about it... Most of us who live in bush, as it were, are aware of them and what they can do to a person... Lyme Disease being just one of the nasties they can give you.

I have to say now.... This year they are INCREDIBLY BAD ! I mean, I have never encountered so many of the blighters ever.... I just finished plucking 4 off my legs and found another 6 on my pant legs... Tenacious little blighters indeed... 2 on my legs were "Super Sized" and so I had a good look under the magnifying glass to make sure I was seeing these monsters for what they are. This is becoming a daily adventure when I work in the bush itself and so I'm starting to take more drastic precautions because they are so bad.

Please be careful and pay attention to your leg's, arms and most certainly pant legs... They will get in there given the chance. Clothes (pants being most important) can be sprayed with Permethrin and make sure you are well slathered with DEET Bug Repellant. Long hair is tricky but they will grab onto it and go for the scalp, so be cautious & attentive, also very hard to remove if you haven't got someone to lend a hand.

Good Info here:
https://www.cdc.gov/features/lymedisease/index.html
https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/prev/on_people.html <--- prevention on people
and several other places as well like Mayo Clinic have good info and some more up to date maps.

BTW: The map that CDC shows... humbug it's dated ! They are farther and spreads out more

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
4 years ago when we had a freak blizzard in late April to protect all their precious tick babies (ticks were already out weeks prior), one could pick up 20 ticks in a 15 minute walk! Doing some brush work I picked up 20 even though I was heavily sprayed with DEET. A friend came up to visit and we went trout fishing. We counted how many we had - over 50 each! My friend's wife, a city-life type, was horrified!

Yes, they can cause some major problems. One must check daily, especially hard to see places. In that really bad year, a deer tick got me in the back where it was hard to see - I got the antibiotics right away.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I have been picking them off of myself. All I need is Lyme's disease on top of everything else. I have a couple of friends with it and it is rough.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
If you can remove them quickly enough, you are generally OK. Just remember to check every single day.

Yeah, Lyme's is rough. I spoke with a person that had Lyme's untreated for years. She was crippled terribly in many ways but massive doses of antibiotics were at least allowing her to barely function. If you get it, the sooner the treatment the better.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
For some reason I haven't seen many ticks so far this year....yet ? Maybe it hasn't been warm enough. Mosquitos though? Oh my word there are so, so, so many. We've had a lot of rainy days......I feel like that doesn't help.....more rain today....they swarm, I wear a net over my head.

As for lyme, thought I'd share that I recently learned of something called the "teasel protocol" that was very helpful to someone who suffered badly from lyme.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,634 Posts
The target rash is an early indicator of Lyme disease, although other things may cause a target shaped rash. Also, someone with Lyme disease doesn't always get the target rash.

A few years ago I got a target rash and vaguely remembered it was something serious. I looked it up on Internet and found it was likely Lyme disease. I have about 4 acres, partly wooded, and from time to time have found a tick crawling on me.

I had the antibiotic shot and about 6 months later had the Western Blot test which came back negative.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
We has a lot of rain in may in this region which helped the blighter's apparently... The Skeeter's certainly faired well and the horse flies too...

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Hate to even ask this, but would wearing a flea and tick collar around each ankle make any difference, maybe over the sock but under the pant leg? That might not help them getting into the hair and scalp so much but might at least fend off some from coming up the legs.

An old timer from years ago used to swear by putting some diesel fuel at the bottom of his pants. He was a heavy truck mechanic and apparently didn't mind the smell. I don't even know if it actually worked.

Most of the time, I find them before they ever attach. Occasionally, I'll find one that just attached. I can't remember the last time I found one that had been there long enough to get swelled up. Thankfully, they seem to have big feet. ;)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Bellyman, the key is Permethrin the active bug killer for ticks.... I believe that diesel would work BUT I sure would not destroy clothing for that.... where / how do you wash that out ? With your regular clothes ? Intro the septic system / sewer system ? Appropriate bug juice on your legs, permethrin on the clothing (not on your skin) and gather's on pant cuffs....

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
you don't need trees to have ticks. long grass will suffice ..
I have a few acres, and my local defense is
guinea fowl.. I usually start the season with about 30 of them. this year I have only 5 .
they do a daily swing around the couple of acres around the buildings.
I can't remember the last time I had a tick on me.
the two dogs do not get ticks either,, UNLESS they go out of the range where the guineas patrol.. ie, into the woods and river bottom around us..
but we use a monthly liquid treatment on the dogs and it kills any existing or future tick on them..
for you who have to go into the woods etc, I have no solution. just keep picking those ticks.

..........jiminwisc......

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Since we started free ranging our chickens around the house, tick activity has dropped to almost nothing. The trade off is my wife is using the dog scooper to pick up chicken poop off the sidewalks and porches.

·
Premium Member
19,807 Posts
We've never had to worry much here about fleas and ticks but our dog picked up two(!!!) in an upstate NY rest stop last October. They are saying we are supposed to have a bad tick season this year so we went ahead and put our boy on Bravecto since we will be traveling again back east at the end of summer.
We don't have to give heartworm preventative either but do when we travel with him.

·
Joie de vivre!
2,847 Posts
I saw an interesting story on Consumer Report's Facebook page about how ticks from mice are a serious problem in spreading Lyme's and other tick-borne diseases, and how "bait boxes" can help eliminate the ticks that infest them. (I would think the solution would be to get rid of the mice, but I guess that is not always feasible, especially in a wooded area. You can't kill all the mice in the woods, and may kill other critters in the process of trying.)

http://www.consumerreports.org/pest-control/tick-traps-might-shield-you-from-pesticides-tick-borne-diseases/

An excerpt from the article:
"Bait boxes are 5x7-inch boxes designed to attract the mice (and to a lesser extent chipmunks and voles) that are most responsible for spreading Lyme and other tick-borne pathogens. They contain two key ingredients: an insecticide that kills ticks and bait that attracts mice. As a rodent moves through the box, a wick containing a low-dose insecticide brushes its backside. Ticks that attach to the animal die after exposure to the insecticide. The rodents themselves are unharmed."

The bait boxes are stupidly expensive. Years ago, I read about a low, low, low cost alternative: Dampen cotton balls & dryer lint with liquid Permethrin insecticide, allow to dry and place them where rodents can find them and use for nesting material. The long-lasting permethrin will kill any ticks (and fleas) on the nesting rodents, and therefore reduce tick populations in that area. I would imagine that other tick vectors besides mice will be attracted to nesting materials such as this.

I keep traps and poison bait stations well stocked around the homeplace, but will also try the nesting material trick in the wooded areas on my property. To keep the nesting material dry, I will put it in clean empty tin cans slanted slightly downwards to keep the rain out. To lure the rodents, a smear of peanut butter on the rims should work.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Until we moved to our present place I had never had a problem with them other than picking them off. Then in Spring of '13 had an infection on Back of my Leg. Went to the Hospital, they cut the Infection out said it was from a Tick Bite and would continue to have problems rest of my life.

The other day I went out hunting. Brushed about 50 off me after coming out of the woods and picked a couple off me. And I had Sprayed down.

big rockpile

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good Day folks,

Well here we are in summer now and of course so is Tick Season. Now I am rural, in forest where far too many deer think it's home. We have always had ticks and know the drill when dealing with the little monsters BUT I thought I should post something here about it... Most of us who live in bush, as it were, are aware of them and what they can do to a person... Lyme Disease being just one of the nasties they can give you.

I have to say now.... This year they are INCREDIBLY BAD ! I mean, I have never encountered so many of the blighters ever.... I just finished plucking 4 off my legs and found another 6 on my pant legs... Tenacious little blighters indeed... 2 on my legs were "Super Sized" and so I had a good look under the magnifying glass to make sure I was seeing these monsters for what they are. This is becoming a daily adventure when I work in the bush itself and so I'm starting to take more drastic precautions because they are so bad.

Please be careful and pay attention to your leg's, arms and most certainly pant legs... They will get in there given the chance. Clothes (pants being most important) can be sprayed with Permethrin and make sure you are well slathered with DEET Bug Repellant. Long hair is tricky but they will grab onto it and go for the scalp, so be cautious & attentive, also very hard to remove if you haven't got someone to lend a hand.

Good Info here:
https://www.cdc.gov/features/lymedisease/index.html
https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/prev/on_people.html <--- prevention on people
and several other places as well like Mayo Clinic have good info and some more up to date maps.

BTW: The map that CDC shows... humbug it's dated ! They are farther and spreads out more
Uuuugggg. Thats terrible!!!!

Thanks for sharing the info. Steve.
We have them in California too but not thick! Ticks and lots of sick people though. I suppose n. ca. is much worse than central where I am.
I do find if you can afford to live on the beach (and don't leave the area) there are far less ticks.

To have guinees on your land could be a life saver.

Tammy

·
Registered
38 Posts
The target rash is an early indicator of Lyme disease, although other things may cause a target shaped rash. Also, someone with Lyme disease doesn't always get the target rash.

A few years ago I got a target rash and vaguely remembered it was something serious. I looked it up on Internet and found it was likely Lyme disease. I have about 4 acres, partly wooded, and from time to time have found a tick crawling on me.

I had the antibiotic shot and about 6 months later had the Western Blot test which came back negative.
Because Lyme disease can hide detection, lymetesting is notoriously negative despite having lyme. If you ever have future unanswered health questions, I would look at Lyme disease. Also, you can carry lyme without symptoms until a stressor comes along and symptoms start up. One shot will not work for many folks. I don't know which shot they used on you but I suspect it was an IM Bicilin shot. People will usually do a series of 6-12 of those shots. Doing them once a week.

As a precaution I always have Doxicyclin on hand for use RIGHT after finding a tick bite. I use it for a month. If I have symptomes I stay on it two months or until symptoms subside fully. So that usually means I am on it most summer days. Heavy duty sunscrean is called for. I have gotten the bullseye a couple times with Lyme but mostly I get no rash.

Tammy

·
Joie de vivre!
2,847 Posts
"The girl loves flowers, post: 7887179, member"]Because Lyme disease can hide detection, lyme testing is notoriously negative despite having lyme. If you ever have future unanswered health questions, I would look at Lyme disease. Also, you can carry lyme without symptoms until a stressor comes along and symptoms start up. One shot will not work for many folks. I don't know which shot they used on you but I suspect it was an IM Bicilin shot. People will usually do a series of 6-12 of those shots. Doing them once a week.

As a precaution I always have Doxicyclin on hand for use RIGHT after finding a tick bite. I use it for a month. If I have symptoms I stay on it two months or until symptoms subside fully...

... I have gotten the bullseye a couple times with Lyme but mostly I get no rash.

Tammy

^^^ THIS has been my experience and protocol as well.

Between the fact that Lyme's disease can ride in the body for a long time undetected by tests, and that it can mimic so many diseases (depending on the current location of the bacteria) it is also called The Great Imitator. If the victim is lucky to find a lyme-literate health professional, it will not become a chronic situation that is extremely hard to eliminate.

Nasty bug + misinformation + clueless health professionals = recipe for personal disaster.

Reactions: Steve_S

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@Lisa and others, the old saying that
An ounce is prevention is worth a pound of cure !
& that's a fact for sure.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts