ticks and fleas and dogs

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by stumpyacres, May 30, 2006.

1. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

Is there any natural remedy to ward off these critters on the dogs? My dogs are in the weeds and woods alot and have them all the time. An front line is so expensive.

2. outdoorsy

outdoorsy Member

Just read a good arcticle in a magazine (don't remember which) about Diotomaceous Earth working for fleas. I have some to help with slugs, but the arcticle said it works for fleas and other bugs too. It suggested sprinkling it in areas where your dog may lay, in sand etc. It also said to use it in chicken coops for fleas, either sprinkle it in the nesting boxes, or have a pan of it for dust baths.
    It is all natural! It is pieces of old sea shells. (my very unscientific description.)
    I got mine at the feed store!

3. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I ordered my DE through the mail, but I had to order five pounds, which will last a very long time. Make sure it is not for swimming pools. Put it between the shoulder blades and on top of the neck. Repeat after swimming or a bath. You can also add a little to their food to combat tapeworms.

Lavender is a flea bane. You can plant it around your house so they will run by it and get some on their fur. You can also buy essential oil, mix with some water and spray on.

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

we've had decent luck with brewers yeast in the dogs food . we also grow marigolds round the kennels and the sheep keep the kennel yard mowed down. de we have not had any luck with either on or in the dogs and sheep . using up the last 50 pound bag in the hens dust bath!

5. symple-lyfe

symple-lyfe freedom-fighter/teddybear

Food-Grade DE is the best way to go. My pup hangs out in weeds and there are lots of ticks and fleas out there. I make sure to reapply the DE after a swim or bath, but it keeps the bugs out of his coat. If he's itching and I apply, he instantly stops most of the itching.

I know an internet company where you can get it for $9.50 a bag for 5#. None of our feedstores carry it. Shipping will get you, though, so look locally first.

6. JBourne76

JBourne76 Bathtub Ninja

Is it safe to use DE on cats? And if so, would you apply it like you would for dogs?