tick pesticide?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by zharzhay, Mar 30, 2006.

1. zharzhay

zharzhay Member

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a pesticide for use against ticks? I'd like something "sort of" organic, that is not as nasty as permethrin or Diazinon, but stronger than the essential oil-based products. Can you think of anything that fits this description?

Thanks,
    Erik

2. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Permethrin is actually quite low in toxicity, your body metabolizes it; I don't think you can buy Diazanon any longer, it builds up in your body. Organic does not mean safe.

An interesting discovery was made recently regarding ticks. It seems that rodents play a key role in the perpetuation of the bug. Ironically, efforts to exterminate the rodents have almost no effect on the ticks because rodents repopulate so quickly. A new approach capitalizes on this discovery by treating the mouse population rather than trying to exterminate it. This involves a special feeding station where the rodents get food (no toxins) and touches a wick with a pesticide as it enters the feeding station. This pesticide effects the immature ticks which mostly reside with the rodents. Over a period of time it nearly completely eliminates the ticks.

Some pest control companies may offer this, I don't think it is available on the consumer market yet. Unfortunately, it requires regular service and might be a bit pricey.

Tick control depends a lot on your environment. If you have animals that roam a large area, it becomes difficult. Especially because the tick can go so long without a blood meal (6 months or longer). There are no chemicals you can use that will last this long. Diazanon granules only lasted 2-3 weeks. There are some granules that will last close to six months, but they are not consumer market products.

The best policy may be to treat your animals with something like frontline. I believe they are labeled for ticks and fleas. (not certain)

3. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Got a catalog in mail from Spray'nGrow that has a product called Dr. T's Flea and Tick Repelling Granules...$15.95 for 4# jug which is supposed to cover 3200 sq. feet. Had oils in a granular form....cedar,cinnamon,mint and lemongrass. I'm gonna try it this spring. Web site is spray-n-grow.com or 1-800-3232363. Company out of TX. DEE

4. Lynnette

Lynnette Michigan Hobby Farmer

I have two suggestions for you. The first is Diatomaceous Earth, organic, safe and effective. Just make sure it is food grade. Also, guniea hens, they are a type of chicken that runs lose in your yard and thrive on bugs, particulary ticks. I am looking into getting some myself and the DE for the same reason.

5. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Neem oil works on lice, fleas, and grasshoppers, might work on ticks? It smells AWFUL, but it works!

hollym

6. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

Sulphur - you can buy a small bag at your local nursery. Put some in an old knee high stocking and just hit it against your legs or ankles to dispurse it where you need protection the most.

You can also sprinkle it on the ground.

7. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

Save your money
    I treated my yard about a acre
    around the house three years running in a row.
    trying to stop the ticks before they got to the
    used habitat. Never noticed a bit of reduction in ticks.
    Spent a bundle on that stuff too.
    Frontline for animals and skintastic for people
    works.
    I did discover frontline in a quart bottle last year.
    $42 lasted all year for 4 dogs and three cats
    directions on bottle for both species.
    I got it at my groomers. who's out of business
    Before that I had spent about $360 per year
    to keep the animals flea and tick free.
    Tried to get a local vet to order the bottle stuff
    they gave me a line about it not working as well
    I told them BULL !! It worked everybit as well as the little packets
    and saved me major bucks.
    So if anyone finds a source for the bottles of frontline let me know.
    I'll give a shout when I do.

8. zharzhay

zharzhay Member

Hi all,
    Thanks for the replies...
    Yes, please let us know if anyone finds bottles of Frontline.
    Regarding sulpher applied to skin, it doesn't work at all with our ticks here :(
    But, I will try it orally (match-head sized dose per day) and let y'all know.
    Regarding the Guineas, I have 7 here and they make a noticeable impact, but only in the area right around their base (pen).
    Also I am in process of burning all leaf litter and ground veg (tick hiding places), so that Guineas and Chickens will have better shot at the ticks.
    Good luck everybody, and keep letting us know what works and what doesn't.

9. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Move north?
    Being from the south, I could tell you about ticks....But up here in Maine, ticks are limited to a few a year. And my dogs are outside most of the day. Depending on the weather.
    But I do have chickens, all over the yard...I'm sure that helps.

10. pigeonracer2k

pigeonracer2k Well-Known Member

We are lucky as we have a lot of trees around the property both oak and pine. These dry out and form a blanket around the place, and in early Spring at the first safe opportunity we burn them This just about solves the tick problem. We have found that pine trees really seem to attract them.

11. Red Devil TN

Red Devil TN Well-Known Member

Ug. It seems like it's a bumper year for them. I've come down to TN a bunch of times before we moved and I've never seen them out just hanging around on every surface. Them and the catapillars this year. Maybe from the non-existent winter?

12. WolfWalksSoftly

WolfWalksSoftly Level II -Inappropriate

Spring is always a good and bad time, especially after a mild Winter..the onslaught of the ticks. I use permetherin on pants legs and shoes and then a spray with at least 30% DEET on my skin...works for me.

A friend of mine swore by taking both garlic and sulphur tablets, but I have never tried it.

I am able to buy Frontline in the large bottles from my Vet.....and yes, it is a lot more economical.

13. Sherrynboo

Sherrynboo Well-Known Member Supporter

14. Dink

Dink Well-Known Member

Ive heard that putting out lime helps...

15. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

Sherrynboo
    Thats the stuff.
    Thanks so much. I just put a application on all the critters and was sweating finding it.

I highly recommend it. It works ! Doesn't seem to effect the animals adversely either.

Thanks Again

16. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

Oh, man you got that right. I pulled six of the off my 3 yo. (at three different times today.) All you have to do is walk out in the yard... UGH!

I did actually do a google search on organic pesticides, and found that there were some herbs that supposedly worked well. That was yesterday. Today, I found out too late that the research I did (which I wrote on paper for some reason-don't know why since I was at the computer) had become the 5 yo. painting project for the day. Sooo.... I will try to find it again.

17. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Fire ants kept them out of our Cen TX homestead all 4 yrs we were there only saw one probably not from our yard. In NC city yard with few fire ants (yet) we dursbannned and cut down on the population only lived there 2 yrs though so unsure about recurrence.