Thyroid Problem?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by JAS, Apr 20, 2006.

1. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

I have a doe whose kids seem to get enlarge thyroids. She had twin bucklings last year that I noticed it in and now this year a single doeling. I did add iodinized salt blocks and they have goat blocks and I have been adding additional minerals to the creep feeder. None of the other kids are having problems, just this doe's offspring.

Has anyone ever heard of this? It doesn't seem to cause any problems, just swelling of the thyroid. I will be doing more searching on this. Thanks.

2. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

Are you talking about a milk goiter in baby goats who get to much milk. Weaning will solve the problem. Liz

3. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

4. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I have a friend whose doe has a goiter and the vet told her it's fine and not to worry.

5. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Okay, my question from the other thread is answered, LOL! I guess I won't worry about it -- am really glad, because she's a nice baby and I plan to keep her -- and I was thinking if she had something contagious I wouldn't be able to sell my other goats, and I really need to!

Kathleen

6. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

learn somethin new everyday...i thought swollen under-jaws were worms.."bottle-jaw" it's called...i have never even heard of "milk goiter"...very interesting article!..thanks!

7. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

My three-week old Nubian/Saanen buckling has one - I had read about them on here, previously, so I knew what it was. :)

Thanks everyone! I'd be lost without this site. :angel:

8. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

I actually did have two babies born with goiters that obviously were not from milk. It was an iodine deficiency. Iodine shot and block and momma and babies improved greatly. Momma had been defient in iodine..so her babies were born deficient.

But glad yours were milk goiters!!

9. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Kelp powder provides iodine as well as many other trace minerals. Goats gobble it up, too. I have read that does who are deficient in iodine, even if they don't show symptoms, oftrn throw more bucklings than doelings, also that the doelings are often weak, hairless, or don't thrive.