Thumbs Down to TSC in Florida

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Tango, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

This post is my personal experience with three Florida Tractor Supply Company stores: Fort Pierce, Okeechobee, and Sebring. They suck! The latest bit was today's purchase of goat feed (Dumor). The bags looked beat up and I asked the asst. mgr. if the date on them was the expiration date. He said no. They were all dated Sept 17, 04. I purchased one bag and while loading it I noticed it had been torn and taped. i returned it and asked for one that had not been torn. I just now went to open it and it was moldy. All of it. I live 40 miles from that store :mad: This will be the last time I purchase at a TSC. I'm not even going to return it. I've had to return everything from Manna Pro Rabbit Feed, to Catfish food, to Tiz Whiz show feeds. All moldy or insect-ridden. I've returned so much feed the manager has given me a funny look as if I was the one with a problem. I've gone to TSC for stocked items time and again and they are out. Items as simple as mineral blocks, tractor belts, saddle pads; things they carry and sell normally. I've requested special deliveries because I used to purchase a 1/2 ton at a time of specialty feeds. They promised but never delivered: in Sebring and Okeechobee. Goats and rabbits especially can't be switched around at feeding time- but I've run out of feed waiting on their promises. They don't seem to understand that ordering and stocking items they promise to customers is very important. So this is it. My rant at TSC. I'm not returning that goat feed bag; I'm posting my experience on the internet. I've given them over $7K in business in three years and I'm going elsewhere from now on. MIneral blocks and goat feed was the last items I was purchasing from them anyway. I''d already taken my biusiness elsewhere for all of my other livestock.

2. uri

uri Member

Just e-mail or call the company. I learned a long time ago not to bother with managers. They can't do anything anyway. Going to the top will yeild you results, besides, maybe you will save someone else some trouble.

3. bare

bare Head Muderator

I think I'd be takin' that moldy feed back to them, at eleven am on Saturday when there's sure to be a crowd. Rip the tape off and walk slowly though the store with it over my shoulder, trailing moldy feed where ever I traipsed.

Our town is small enough, that I always call ahead to check on the availability of stuff, make 'em put my name on it before I even head out the door.

4. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

well if you know their email address, iwould sure like to have it. the one close to us, is out of everything, all the time, and they don't carry many items that they used to carry. it is very upsetting. because I have to drive 40 miles to the closest farm and home store, they carry a little more but not much, and orices of both places are going out of site.

5. tkrabec

tkrabec Well-Known Member

I agree TSC is crap, they have no stock. And a while ago I bought a case of OIL and they had to open it because they do not sell things by the case, I was gonna ask Why they had it on the shelf in the case if they do not sell them that way.

Oh Tango check your feed before you leave walpole, they have been screwing upwhat they give me. I order layer pellets and get layer crumbles(more expensive) but I want what I order.

-- Tim

6. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Hi Tim,
    Walpole has been going through a lot of emplyee turnover in the past six months; don't know what that is about. I've had to check my order with them before I leave the place. I'm there every week so I know the guys and fortunately I speak Spanish. I think it is the misunderstandings of their newer Mexican employees which cause the mishaps. They are very sweet but can't read the invoice. Walpole is still good to their word though. In December, I purchased a 25 lb. bag of Manna Pro Calf Manna and they gave me a 50 lb. one. When I discovered it, I let them know and they let me keep it :) TSC seems to have "screw up," as a daily mantra and "oh well, " for their customer service.

7. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

TSC's proprietary feeds are especially crappy ... look out for the warnings not to feed to ruminants (because they contain cow parts ... UGH!!!!)

I prefer to do business with our local elevator as they also have people who can actually answer questions ... not ones hired chiefly due to the fact they're willing to work for $6.50 an hour (I know this because I worked briefly for TSC when they were opening a new store in our area).

It sounds to me like they're suffering the same problem that torpedoed their predecessors, the County Post and Quality Farm and Fleet stores, which tried to expand too quickly and fell apart as a result.

Ah well!

8. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Wow. It has got to be poor management of the store. Our TSC in Huntsville is wonderful. Clean, friendly people, nice feed. The people there are so helpful. They will just bend over backward to help you with any question or anything. Nice store, great products. Wish you all could have one like we have. I just assumed all the stores were nice like this one. I have never been to this store and asked for something that they didn't have it. They have a little bit of everything. I would take that feed back and I would also contact the corporate office and get the manager's name and let them know what that store is like. There is no reason that that store can't be as good as ours is. Wishing you the best.

9. burfer

burfer Well-Known Member

I was wondering if I just liked to complain! EVERYTIME I go to check out the prices are different than what is posted. Once on Alfalfa pellets the price that rang up was quite a difference. I told the check-out person that the sign says X amount. She told me the person who changes the feed prices was out sick, I just about lost my mind! I few dollars makes a HUGE difference in a year when you buy TONS of feed! :mad:

10. uri

uri Member

While on the subject of TSC. Will someone please tell me what the numbers on the bottom strip of Dumor Foods mean? Is it the expiration date or the manufacturing date?

11. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

My wife was a receiving manager at Q- farm store before they went belly up. We would not touch there feed products. The distribution center had nasty habit of loading the delivery trucks with the feeds beneath pallets of auto and tractor fluids like antifreeze & hydraulic fluids & such which on several occasions would get broken and leak onto the feeds. There injectable meds & antibiotics would be transferred in uninsulated totes that spent days in the back of the very hot trailers.
    I agree they tried to expand to quickly they also had very poor upper management.
    I think Q- farm & TSC are to much alike and find it hard to trust the quality of there feeds as well.

12. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I don't know uri. That is the date I asked the asst. manager about the other day. It would be ironic if all other companies I'm familiar with displayed expiration dates while Dumor bags displayed manufacturing dates on them.

13. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

first of all, go to the website, and cut and paste your complaint
    then call whatever other feed store is closest to you, and if they dont stock what you need, ask them to stock it, put it to them this way, if youre talking to a lackey and not an employee
    you stock this and this for me, and i will buy all my feed from you, last year i spent XXXX.00 dollars in feed, and if joe behind the desk cant/wont help you , talk to someone who will

back a few years ago when i was till in ND i had a heck of a time getting goat feed, then a new feed store opened in a nearby town , i went to the store, bought my horse and chicken feed, and visited with the guy , said, you know what i raise goats, i really would like o come here and buy goat feed, rather than having to buy 100 lbs of corn 100lbs of oats 150 of soybeands and 50 each of dried molasess and BOS......would you stock it for me ?
    he was like, well, i dont have anyone else to be buying it ...
    i said , are you sure ? lots of goat people when they cant find goat feed will just buy sweet feed BOS and soybeans, and mix it themselves ....
    a little light went off in his head, and he got on the phone and called for an order of goat feed...
    sure enough next time i went in , he had a whole pallet of it , i bought the 300 lbs i needed, and asked him what happend to the rest ( about 1/2 the pallet was gone)
    he said, well there was a lady came in , and did exactly what you said , and so i mentioned to her we had this here goat feed.... and she bought 5 bags :D

if it will make a company money, they will do it for you .
    the smaller the company the better the customer service.

14. idahocurs

idahocurs Well-Known Member

Let me add a note if you ask a local feed store to get you something especially if they are small buy what they get for you. I say this because my bil has a feed store in a small town and I hear him say all the time he get's tired of ordering specialty items for people because they either don't buy it or always complain about the price and decide to continue getting it when the go into "Town"...there is something to be said for the local feed store and I will support them unless I can save a large amount of money because they large "supply stores" are not going to come out and help you out as the small operator will.