Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
giving up, admitting defeat, waving the white flag, and any other way there is to say it....

After 6 months, 2 mortgage companies, and 5 closings we opened the door to our new house on Thursday. I left at 6pm yesterday and drove back here.

I walked away, sent the mortgage lady and the realtor a note stating that I'm going to start the process of rescinding my commitment to the property.

I'm not going to go into everything that transpired, that would end up being a novel.

The short of it is that the pool was not in working order and the solar heater was laying on the ground behind the house. They had tore apart part of the foyer to make for easier scavenging. The place was still loaded with crap. Lots and lots of crap.

Yes, I'm an idiot for taking people at their word and going ahead and signing. If I hadn't been so stressed about getting the kids in school, I'd have done a final walk through. Lesson learned-don't have faith in what someone says.

I'm hoping this will force their hand and if not, I guess I'm back to house hunting...

Another time that being alone sucks...I need a hug...sigh....

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Sending positive energies and hugs your way, sometimes you just got to pull the plug, drain the tub, and refill with clean water.

You were not defeated, you were lied to and scammed .... big difference, I'm going through something somewhat similar. My motto is " I'm hanging in, hanging out and hanging on"........ I promise things will not be as bleak as they seem now.

·
Reluctant Adult
8,956 Posts
Terri, you've been through way too much in your search for a new home. I'm sorry it's all been so disappointing -- and draining as well, I'm sure. Don't give up (I know you won't)! Something terrific will be there for you. And I'm sending you as many hugs as you can stand!

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: (More if you need 'em!)

(And FBB, Welcome Back Kotter lyrics? Seriously?)

·
Registered
679 Posts
I had a similar situation when I was last house hunting...
I was devastated at the time and the kids did end up changing schools in the middle of the year, but it was for the best. When closing on my current property the insurance rep. Showed me a massive list of attempted claims for water damage / frozen pipes burst on the house that fell through. Turns out I really dodged a bullet on that one!
In retrospect I now say "gods plan was better than mine."

·
Conscientious Disrupter
4,246 Posts
Bless you heart Terri! I'm sorry you had to go through this. Just hoping your damage control works the way you want it too. (((hugs)))

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Almost always, if you keep forcing yourself into a questionable situation in spite of "warning" signs, it turns out badly (and that goes for more than house hunting). Be patient, and be proactive with your communications with the mortgage company and any agents involved. If you hired a closing attorney, check with her/him today (or tomorrow if the office is closed on a holiday).

Best wishes.

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
So sorry to hear of your house troubles.
{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

Reactions: Terri in WV

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Many yrs ago, I did rescind on a property. It was easy. However, I thought the law had changed. Real Estate was no longer able to be rescinded on. Bet Lori Christie would have all the answers. If she doesn't post on this forum, I would certainly PM her. Good Luck! Let us know what happens.

·
Still an :censored:
15,870 Posts
I'm not saying what you saw is minor. It's a very big deal to anyone. The bigger issue is what else has been misrepresented that isn't immediately obvious. Even with the kick in the head the experience has been, I'm with the others that think you may have been lucky.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Keep this in mind if you (or anyone else) does a real estate deal. If promises are made that certain things will be done, that a clause is included that a walk through will be done a day or more before closing. If it isn't satisfactory, the deal is off.

If they said they'd do certain things before closing, that may be a legal agreement, even if verbal. If you want the place, a bid from an outside source should be made to correct the deficiencies (sellers pay for it), and take that out of the purchase price, and/or hold all their monies in escrow until its brought up to agreed to condition.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts