Through the wall stove pipe.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Oct 20, 2005.

  1. seedspreader

    seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

    Oct 18, 2004
    NW Pa./NY Border.
    Tell me about your set up...

    How high do you go?
    Is the whole thing triple wall?
    Do you have it surrounded by a wooden "chimeny" enclosure?
    Did you use a wall thimble?
    Did you use a mounting plate with the triple wall "clean out" "t"?

    Just tell me all about your THROUGH THE WALL stove pipe!
  2. comfortablynumb

    comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

    Nov 18, 2003
    Dysfunction Junction, SW PA
    I cur a hole out, square, with 8 iches space from the stud frame (in the square hole) from the 3 wall pipe that runs thru the wall& thimble. the hole is covered with tin in and out and a round hole for the thimble to fit cut in that.

    overkill but I dont wanna die.

  3. Explorer

    Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

    Dec 1, 2003
    Far West in the White Mountains, Arizona
    It all depends upon what kind of stove you are venting, gas, wood (stick), pellet. New or older? Airtight?
  4. WindowOrMirror

    WindowOrMirror ..where do YOU look? Supporter

    Jan 10, 2005
    that went through the wall... but it was there when we got the house and was NOT to code.

    Code (here in WI) is exactly as you've described, with sufficient clearance to combustible materials, enclosed in specific materials (or having a steel heat shield) with thimble etc. Cleanout is up to you.

  5. WisJim

    WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

    Jan 13, 2004
    I have always used a section of Metalbestos or similar insulated stovepipe to go through a combustible wall. The makers of the pipe also make sheets of metal with a proper sized hole for the pipe that are designed to go on each side of the wall to support the pipe and maintain the proper space to combustibles. Even with the Metalbestos or similar pipe, the distance required is usually 6 inches, so the hole in the wall needs to be 6" (inside pipe dia)+ 2" (2x wall thickness of insulated pipe--might be greater) + 12" (2 x 6" distance to combustibles) or a total of at least 20"--so the 22 1/2 inches between common studs space 24"oc is just about right.

    If common single wall pipe is used instead of insulated the distance to combustables is usually at least 16", so the hole in the wall would be a minimum of 38" in dia.

    Of course, these distances are those often required to meet building codes or insurance requirements and are based on tests and history of fires, and can be ignored if you don't care if your house burns down at some unexpected future time.