Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Weather
2. The cost of raising whatever it is one is raising (livestock, produce,etc.) this includes fuel costs associated the raising or growing
3. Politics

I was in a pipe and iron supply in rural New Mexico (there for a funeral) three days ago to buy some blacksmithing supplies the owner had. I had to wait for the folks in front to finish discussing with the owner who each recommended for the upcoming mayoral elections. I didn’t mind - #3 affects #2, and #1 adds its own compounding effects to #2. Who knows, maybe there is a candidate that will promise to fix #1 ;)

·
Registered
14,393 Posts
I was at the saw mill last week. The office was full of employees eating lunch (5) and customers (3). During my 20 minutes the discussions were as follows-

#1. Cost of lumber. 12 2"x8"x12' boards were $473.
#2. Local shade tree mechanic for hire felt bad for two weeks and pissed blood on a Wednesday morning, so he went to his doctor. Transferred to a hospital later for testing and told he was terminal. Went home that night and died Friday.
#3. Customer complaining about delays in getting certain pieces of lumber due to pick a reason. Nobody had the proper screws for some exterior log construction. This one turned politically pretty quick.
#4 Guys daughter raises goats. Their new LGD got thru the fence earlier in the week and killed four baby goats. She cried for two days.

Meanwhile the office Tom was sleeping on the owner's desk with his tail across the keyboard. Each time he needed to do a little work, the owner would lift the cat's tail and move it. When he was done, the cat would put his tail back over the keyboard.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
1. Weather
2. The cost of raising whatever it is one is raising (livestock, produce,etc.) this includes fuel costs associated the raising or growing
3. Politics

I was in a pipe and iron supply in rural New Mexico (there for a funeral) three days ago to buy some blacksmithing supplies the owner had. I had to wait for the folks in front to finish discussing with the owner who each recommended for the upcoming mayoral elections. I didn’t mind - #3 affects #2, and #1 adds its own compounding effects to #2. Who knows, maybe there is a candidate that will promise to fix #1 ;)
Admin - this post repeatedly posted several times. Not sure what happened, but likely an error with myself, and/or my ipad. Can we delete the excess duplicate posts?

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Canning jar lid shortage. Canning jar shortage. Cost of animal feed. Lack of rain or excess of rain. Do you know Jesus?

Ok, we covered the usual gab fest among the women around here.

Hubby would add: crappie biting? lake level?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
When first moving to southern Nova Scotia forty-four years ago the first thing I learned early on was; never to be in a hurry when in a store, gas station, or bank. At the bank, the tellers seem to know all the customers personally. When transactions are finished then it is catch-up time with news of family and friends! Waiting in line at a grocery store had the same effect as did, getting gas at the local service station. It seems unique to small towns but I got used to it. Covid restrictions such as safe distancing changed the small-town charm of communication .I don't know if things will ever be the same.

·
Registered
40,295 Posts
When first moving to southern Nova Scotia forty-four years ago the first thing I learned early on was; never to be in a hurry when in a store, gas station, or bank. At the bank, the tellers seem to know all the customers personally. When transactions are finished then it is catch-up time with news of family and friends! Waiting in line at a grocery store had the same effect as did, getting gas at the local service station. It seems unique to small towns but I got used to it. Covid restrictions such as safe distancing changed the small-town charm of communication .I don't know if things will ever be the same.
I so want to spend some time in Nova Scotia, someday soon.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Canning jar lid shortage. Canning jar shortage. Cost of animal feed. Lack of rain or excess of rain. Do you know Jesus?

Ok, we covered the usual gab fest among the women around here.

Hubby would add: crappie biting? lake level?
Outstanding example! My grandpappy was the son of a sharecrop cotton farmer in Texas. He always said one is never closer to God than when farming; one is always praying for something: more rain, less rain, more sun, less sun, etc.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was at the saw mill last week. The office was full of employees eating lunch (5) and customers (3). During my 20 minutes the discussions were as follows-

#1. Cost of lumber. 12 2"x8"x12' boards were $473.
#2. Local shade tree mechanic for hire felt bad for two weeks and pissed blood on a Wednesday morning, so he went to his doctor. Transferred to a hospital later for testing and told he was terminal. Went home that night and died Friday.
#3. Customer complaining about delays in getting certain pieces of lumber due to pick a reason. Nobody had the proper screws for some exterior log construction. This one turned politically pretty quick.
#4 Guys daughter raises goats. Their new LGD got thru the fence earlier in the week and killed four baby goats. She cried for two days.

Meanwhile the office Tom was sleeping on the owner's desk with his tail across the keyboard. Each time he needed to do a little work, the owner would lift the cat's tail and move it. When he was done, the cat would put his tail back over the keyboard.
Where else does one regularly see an office Tom, other than rural America? Love it!

·
Registered
14,393 Posts
Everytime I go into the saw mill office that cat is asleep. A fat orange tabby. He sleeps dawn to dusk and the owner lets him out when he goes home. Not a mouse or rat in their entire yard he says. He gives him a dish of water and that is it.

My building supplier is one county over. Everytime I go into their warehouse, somewhere on the top of a shelf, or a kitchen cabinet, usually 6' or more off the ground, is a Calico Tom. Same MO. So deep in sleep he hardly appears to be breathing. Then at night he works the yard.

Both of these cats bear no resemblance by any stretch to domesticated house cats. They are both common topics of conversation and the reason I brought home a Tom of my own.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
45,138 Posts
Everyone never feels the same way about everything.

I am a life long central Texan. I tend to hang out with life long Texans, with a few others thrown in.

I was not making a joke.

When I grew up in Austin, it was under 200,000 people. My friends and I rode our bikes all over our part of town, played in the creek, stayed out till our mom's hollered to come in.

Austin now has over 2,000,000.

Austin used to be home to many local businesses, a grass roots music industry, lots of fun and funky places to go and things to do.

You now have to have a reservation to go to Hamilton Pool, and you aren't allowed to swim. Trails are closed. Guided hikes are cancelled. Travis County Parks | Hamilton Pool Preserve

I avoid going into the central part of Austin. Traffic is a nightmare. Homeless still are an issue, but not as bad as they were before the citizens forced the city government to remove the worst encampments.

Californians:
"Actually, if you look at the decade from 2010 through 2019 (the last year that Census data is available), the number is even bigger. It shows a net number of 885,000 people moving to Texas -- about 303,000 of which were from California."

"Don't California my Texas" is a common bumper sticker. Liberal voting has impacted local taxes to the point that I am going to have to pay over $11,000 in property taxes for the house my father built in 1957. It's a modest two bedroom, two bath home.

Illinois and New York and other deteriorating northern states have sent their families fleeing for a better place to live. Florida has lost folks to Texas over the years because of hurricanes.

Median rent in Austin is now about $1800 for an apartment under 900 square feet. This is a hardship to folks who are waiter, hairdressers, grocery store workers, etc etc etc.

It's a source of humor, too.

The folks that move to Texas because it had low taxes have been integral in the tax rates going up. They pay STUPID high amounts for houses, and that makes the property taxes go up. They vote for services that won't actually benefit enough people to make it logical, and that makes the property taxes go up.

Example on stupid cash purchase:
I sold a newly remodeled house in a nice middle class neighborhood near the interstate that divides Austin north/south. The company that bought it paid $510,000 for it. They bulldozed the house. I haven't been back to look, but rumor is that they built two McMansions on it. I assume that they cut down the beautiful pecan tree in the back yard. I haven't been back to look.

I totally understand that people move to better their lives. It's just that they have a tendency to foul up the place they moved to for the folks born there.

My family always complined about Yankees, so it's in my DNA to complain that Yankees are the problem. My grandfather saw carpetbaggers personally, so it's personal. (not exactly a joke)

I am who I am. Texan by birth, a mix of southern belle, no nonsense granma, and wildcat if you threaten my family or state.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Everyone never feels the same way about everything.

I am a life long central Texan. I tend to hang out with life long Texans, with a few others thrown in.

I was not making a joke.

When I grew up in Austin, it was under 200,000 people. My friends and I rode our bikes all over our part of town, played in the creek, stayed out till our mom's hollered to come in.

Austin now has over 2,000,000.

Austin used to be home to many local businesses, a grass roots music industry, lots of fun and funky places to go and things to do.

You now have to have a reservation to go to Hamilton Pool, and you aren't allowed to swim. Trails are closed. Guided hikes are cancelled. Travis County Parks | Hamilton Pool Preserve

I avoid going into the central part of Austin. Traffic is a nightmare. Homeless still are an issue, but not as bad as they were before the citizens forced the city government to remove the worst encampments.

Californians:
"Actually, if you look at the decade from 2010 through 2019 (the last year that Census data is available), the number is even bigger. It shows a net number of 885,000 people moving to Texas -- about 303,000 of which were from California."

"Don't California my Texas" is a common bumper sticker. Liberal voting has impacted local taxes to the point that I am going to have to pay over $11,000 in property taxes for the house my father built in 1957. It's a modest two bedroom, two bath home.

Illinois and New York and other deteriorating northern states have sent their families fleeing for a better place to live. Florida has lost folks to Texas over the years because of hurricanes.

Median rent in Austin is now about $1800 for an apartment under 900 square feet. This is a hardship to folks who are waiter, hairdressers, grocery store workers, etc etc etc.

The folks that move to Texas because it had low taxes have been integral in the tax rates going up. They pay STUPID high amounts for houses, and that makes the property taxes go up. They vote for services that won't actually benefit enough people to make it logical, and that makes the property taxes go up.

Example on stupid cash purchase:
I sold a newly remodeled house in a nice middle class neighborhood near the interstate that divides Austin north/south. The company that bought it paid $510,000 for it. They bulldozed the house. I haven't been back to look, but rumor is that they built two McMansions on it. I assume that they cut down the beautiful pecan tree in the back yard. I haven't been back to look.

I totally understand that people move to better their lives. It's just that they have a tendency to foul up the place they moved to for the folks born there.

My family always complined about Yankees, so it's in my DNA to complain that Yankees are the problem. My grandfather saw carpetbaggers personally, so it's personal. (not exactly a joke)

I am who I am. Texan by birth, a mix of southern belle, no nonsense granma, and wildcat if you threaten my family or state.
My brother lives in Texas. His property taxes were going up every year. He froze his taxes for a while then stopped paying property taxes completely. He doesn't have to pay any taxes but if the property is sold the back taxes have to be paid. If he dies whoever gets the house has to pay the back taxes.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
16,991 Posts
I agree, although born a Yankee, we moved to Louisiana when I was 12. I have lived in the South ever since and wouldn't have it any other way, although at least half of Virginia acts like it is in the North. Even in most of the South it pays to stay out of the large cities.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
....... You now have to have a reservation to go to Hamilton Pool, and you aren't allowed to swim. Trails are closed. Guided hikes are cancelled. Travis County Parks | Hamilton Pool Preserve

< snip >

Thanks for your response. We have had all the same kinds of problems happen here in the Fraser Valley where I live and in the Greater Vancouver Metropolitan Region (total population 2.6 million now), so I'm familiar with that of which you speak. It's what happens to any place that becomes popular ........ everyone else and their dog from everywhere else wants a piece of that pie. Our government finally had to put a ban on the sale of houses and properties to all non-Canadians and foreign investors. Dealing with the homeless invasion is still an ongoing problem that I don't see ending any time soon.

I guess the biggest difference between your location's problems and ours is that here we don't lay blame specifically on any particular groups of people because so many have come from various locations all over the world. We understand that we allowed many of those problems to be brought on ourselves because of our past complacency and being cocky and boastful about what we had. There is a better understanding now that it's our responsibility wherever possible to nip future similar problems in the bud before they get a chance to happen and that means being more authoritarian and putting up barriers about what we want to preserve. Both metaphorically and literally.

Sorry about Hamilton Pool Preserve, I read that link and see that the reasons for it being closed off in places is because of all the falling rocks and there seems to be no explanation for why it's happening. That cliff overhang and the pool grotto are stunningly beautiful. I can understand there being a time limit now too because of the homeless problem.

The "Helpful list for yankees moving to Texas" is funny. Somebody needs to make up an appropriate funny list like that for Canada border authorities to hand out to all foreign visitors and new immigrant residents.

·
Registered
646 Posts
but now they
Why, thank you so much for the attack. What's up with you??
n
Sorry----I have a hair in the wrong place today. There are 2 women who live here (newbies) that are full of nothing but gossip and BS. Never keep thier dogs on leashes...you know; no rules for them. So they were gone for 4 days and it was lovely here---quiet, and no BS....but now they have returned....and they are very loud (but the dogs are cute) and I am cranky. Sorry for what I posted....😁

1 - 20 of 25 Posts