Thread subjects....

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Little Quacker in OR, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Hey gang. How about putting a real subject in the line that 's made for it? It would be really nice if everyone would do that. Usually everyone is pretty good but some of those "subjects" are really useless.

Don't use something like "I was wondering if..." That's dumb and doesn't tell me anything about what you are posting about.

If your post or request has to do with an animal..name it. Instead of " Looking for Aussies ". how about putting the breed there? How hard is it to type in Australian Shepherd or if you want to make it smaller use Aust. Shepherd. We'd all know what that is. There are several breeds that are called Aussies. The Aust. Shepherd is only one of them. I can think of four or five right off the bat.

So, give a guy a break, OK? :haha: Clarify those subject headings. That's what they are for.

LQ :p

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

Don't you think you could have titled this thread better than "Thread subjects"?

I like to hover my cursor over the title to read the preview, saves me opening up lots of threads I'm not interested in.

3. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

hmmm, must be an official from the ' Department of Subject Integrity' :worship:

Or did we get a new moderator and no one told us??? :confused:

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Thanks for the reminder! It would be kinder to those with dial up connections if all of us can be a little more 'up front' with our subjects. Once you get DSL it is easy to forget that everyone still does not have it. Also, it makes it easier for anyone doing a search to find the material.

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I agree with this consept; what I do not like is the ones that post only a link rather than state what the post is about. I don't care for the ambush approach they offer. :yeeha:

6. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

How about special training to start a thread and a permit and maybe even a small user fee. Just to remind people that freedom of speech is not free.

mikell

7. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Exactly.

And "Looking for Aussies" is a perfectly good thread subject. If you have one of those breeds of "Australian" dogs, you will probably look at it. If you dont, you wont.

How hard is that? :confused:

And if a subject is "useless" or "dumb"...dont open it if you dont want to. :rolleyes:

8. dakani

dakani Well-Known Member

Actually, must say it's a tad confusing for someone who is an Aussie!

9. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

HA! Thats what I thought that threard WAS looking for! I don't live in Austrailia, so I didn't read it.

Sylvar

10. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I think people should write whatever kind of subject line they like, and like Bare says just hover your mouse over the title for a second to read the first few lines. I know LQ is a great contributor and its even a sensible request, but to each their own I say. We all have our pet peeves, I'm with Mitch on those blind links with no description, they should be discouraged at the very least.

11. Stickywitch

Stickywitch Well-Known Member

I feel sorry for the poor sap who originally wrote "Looking for Aussies in the subject line. :no:

12. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

it's kind of ironic considering this subject line by LQ:

I thought I'd heard everything! LOL

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=32181

did that subject line really give any indication of what that thread was all about?? :confused:

Why not just NOT read those that you think are 'dumb' ?
    It's unkind, unfriendly and elitist towards new homesteaders or those with questions to become the focus of yet another of your school marm type handslappings!!

As I see it; we all have the choice and freedom (unless the real mods & rules say otherwise) of posting without critque and reading just those threads that we want. :worship:

13. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I thought "looking for Aussies" was by someone wanting to date Austrailians!

14. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

Hey, folks, lighten up!! If we are going to have an archive on this forum, wouldn't it make sense to use an informative subject line? I think we might have fewer repetitions if we could do a search on a subject, read the existing posts, and then come to the board with the new questions. It is impossible to do with non-informative subject lines.

Same thing on the change of subject halfway thru the thread. Start a new thread and use a good subject line instead. That way it can be found. I appreciate humor as much as anyone, but feel it would be a lot better in the body of the message.

I would also like to suggest that name-calling and labeling goes against the spirit of this board. An expert on nuclear physics probably doesn't know squat about sewing a dress. We all have our areas of expertise and our areas of ignorance. It is those areas of ignorance that we are trying to fill by using this board.

This board is so valuable to each of us. Let's keep it friendly and helpful. No one is trying to police anyone, only help. Also, if criticism or comment is offered, let's put the best light on it and assume that the poster means well. Not all of us have tact as our middle name. I would hate to think we would be driving someone away with carping. I need the info they have.

15. chas

chas Well-Known Member

I'm glad your title grabbed my eye, because I thought it was a search for lonely Australians :haha: And never looked into the matter since I'm not from down under ;)
    Have a great day.