Thread count of !00% cotton sheets ?'s

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by homebody, Aug 17, 2006.

1. homebody

homebody Well-Known Member

I know that the higher the count the smoother the sheet. Was wondering if the Egyptian cotton is best and would the higher thread count sheets last longer than lower number count. Anyone know? Thanks. :)

2. Sherrynboo

Sherrynboo Well-Known Member Supporter

I just got some egyptian cotton sheets, 300 thread count. They are wonderful! I am going to get another set this week since they are on sale for 39.00. They should last longer than the lower count ones I think.

Sherry in GA.

3. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Did you know they have sheets with over 1000 thread count? Isn't that crazy? I couldn't believe it.

Donsgal

4. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

I bought some 600 thread count, and they were really nice. But they did wear out faster than the 320's. Why? I have no idea.

5. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

I looked up the answer for you:
    http://www.best-in-bedding.com/frequently-asked-questions.htm

Okay, what is really the best thread count number to look for in bed sheets?

Thread count refers to the number of threads used in one square inch of fabric. The higher the thread count, the finer the thread used to create the fabric. Thread counts as high as 1,000 per square inch can be found, however, for most bed linens, a thread count of 180-400 provide a sufficiently luxurious feel but with stronger threads which will last longer. It is not necessarily better to have a higher thread count because the finer threads used to create very high thread count fabric will simply not last nearly as long as a lower thread count fabric.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

How high do thread count numbers go anyway? Are those sheets really better- they certainly are more expensive

Thread counts refer solely to the number of threads used to create one square inch of fabric. The thread count number can go as high as the manufacturers can create. Today, thread counts over 1,000 are common but very, very expensive. The extremely fine thread used in the weave to create fabric that has such as high thread count number means that each thread is very, very fine and therefore not as strong as a thicker thread.

Whether you choose to pay the higher price and enjoy the shorter life of a very high thread count sheet is entirely up to you. Linens containing thread counts of 180-400 are much more practical and last much longer for the average household on a budget.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I am told that it is because the individual threads must be so incredibly thin (smaller than a hair), that they are much more delicate and thus wear more quickly.

donsgal

7. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I got 400 thread count egyptian cottons bed sheet and pillow set. The set cost about $20 more than the average best cotton sheets at Wal Mart. I think they are worth it.

8. Jaclynne

Jaclynne Well-Known Member Supporter

Its my understanding that Egyptian cotton has a longer staple(?) for making the thread. This makes a softer and stronger thread, thereby making softer sheets and fluffier, more absorbent towels, so a better product.

Halo