Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
This is my life
3,869 Posts
Two years ago I had a bumper croup of squash and tomatoes.
After a couple of months of freezing, canning, drying, cooking I had had enough LOL so told about 5-6 different people that they could come and get anything they wanted out of the garden.
I did not have a single taker, everyone would be happy to take anything I wanted to harvest and take to them but sweating in the garden was too much trouble.

I wonder what their response would be now?

G

·
Two years ago I had a bumper croup of squash and tomatoes.
After a couple of months of freezing, canning, drying, cooking I had had enough LOL so told about 5-6 different people that they could come and get anything they wanted out of the garden.
I did not have a single taker
I've had offers like that several times in the past, and I took them up on it!!

Sadly, I no longer know anyone who grows a garden or fruit trees any more, so I haven't had such offers for some years. :(

·
AFKA ZealYouthGuy
11,454 Posts
One man's disturbing is another man's encouraging.

Gleaning is a great thing, they had a huge harvest, extras, expected up to 10K got 40K... (of course my bet is that it was far less than 40K, I know how even "professional" crowd counters mess up counts, compounded by the vast area of what must be a HUGE farm to expect 10K normally...

Pardon me if I don't get worried about this.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I'm with you seedspreader. I don't find this discouraging or a disturbing sign. I know people who purposely bless others in this manner, so they can receive blessings themselves. Gleaning has been going on since the beginning of time. It's a good thing!

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
I think it's great. they aren't passively waiting to be cared for, they are out there gathering food. Terrific!

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I have a market garden. After the last market and before a big frost, I gave away over 250 winter squash. The food bank came and got them. This year all the squash were already picked but last year the head of the food bank came and gathered the squash from the field himself. He got two truck loads. They were happy to have them. I give away pullet eggs too.
Linda

·
Appalachian American
10,639 Posts
We have some friends who live in the northwest that belong to a group called Gleaners. They pay a small fee each year, and get together to glean the fields of leftovers, and also do pick-ups from certain stores.

It means a lot of food is not wasted by using just a couple of hours of their time.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
We have a fair number of potato farms around here, and they have been doing this for years. You go for yourself, or many civic groups will collect for food shelves.

·
God Smacked Jesus Freak
7,456 Posts
I knew of that gleaner group when I lived in WA (20 years ago, and my sis belonged to a somwhat organized gleaning group when she lived in WI and IN. I know it's in my area. Just saying it's been around a long time. It's a great deal!! Makes sense!!! I'll bet "thousands" have been quietly doing it all along.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I think it's great. they aren't passively waiting to be cared for, they are out there gathering food. Terrific!
Yeah, that's a good way to look at it

I also think it's wonderful that the farm owner offered it for the taking! Some people would just let it rot.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'm delighted that the farmers were able to offer this, and also delighted that many people took them up on it. It's so much better than allowing the food to rot in the fields.

·
Registered
261 Posts
We have some friends who live in the northwest that belong to a group called Gleaners. They pay a small fee each year, and get together to glean the fields of leftovers, and also do pick-ups from certain stores.

It means a lot of food is not wasted by using just a couple of hours of their time.

I was a coordinator for the Gleaners for a little while (I had to move to Oregon to Arizona)

I got broccoli, fruit, food from stores, and just about everything I needed to eat, even Salmon! (I got 6 of them and made a deal with someone that they smoke them all, and I got three, they got three. Then I divided the salmon between some friends and I. Good deal.

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
Problem? I grew up doing this.

It supplied the majority of our veggies for the whole year. Us kids would help mom glean on the weekends and then she would can all week while we were in school.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts