Thoughts on tractor

Discussion in 'Home Gardens, Market Gardens, and Commercial Crops' started by Ben10, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Ben10

Ben10 Active Member

I am looking at buying a tractor for my property for the use of farm and other random digging needs etc etc, I have looked at many brands and have come down to mahindra or massey ferguson as the choice. It will be a "light" tractor the massey model is GC1715. Whatever i get i want a front end loader a backhoe, brushhog, tiller and possibly a box blade.( not sure on box blade i want to level out some of my garden area and not sure what to use)

From when i went and looked at it will be right at 20k with most of that on the massey i am just unsure of how they compare and wanted to seek knowledge on it. If this is not where to post just tell me. Thanks everybody.

2. Sebastian C

Sebastian C New Member

Hello, saw your post and decided to sign up and offer an opinion. I just sold a little Kubota tractor with a loader and backhoe and bought an old Deere construction Backhoe for almost the same amount. It's way cooler than the tractor was! Although I had all kinds of ideas for farm implements I only ever used the tractor for excavating and hauling stuff in the bucket. Did gigs too. Had a little field plow but after the first few times it was always easier to just break up the ground with the Backhoe than go through the trouble of removing the Backhoe and reinstalling it later. Run a regular walk behind tiller over the broken ground and ready to plant. Terrain here is mountainous so that worked better in many cases than pulling a plow across contour. There isn't a farm task that you can't figure out how to do with a construction backhoe if you're creative, and the truth is a three point hitch Backhoe needs to be babied, they're fragile. Broke the Kubota in half, no joke. Welded it up and moved on. Backhoe is sturdy and I don't have to baby it constantly.

One exception, I dunno what to say about the bush hog. Terrain here isn't conducive to mowing so I never used one. Probably can't rig that one with a Backhoe. But for everything else, they're the most versatile and sturdy machine out there. And 20k will get an awesome used one. Might not have to spend that much even. And then there's hardly any temptation for more implements. Has to be 4x4. You can do side gigs with one, small dirt moving is one of my main things.

Dunno if you'd ever considered such a notion, I wanted a farm tractor and not a Backhoe at first, then dug with the farm tractor till it broke and never used it for farm tractor things. Lots pushing trees over, carrying manure in the bucket, stringing up dead pigs to butcher them, burying dead cows that you don't want to eat, all this stuff can be done better with a Backhoe.

Anyway, just a different perspective. Good luck whatever you decide to do!

Sebastian

Waiting2Retire likes this.

3. alamo

alamo New Member

I'm not familiar with massey or mahindra, I've got a Kubota "B" series myself with loader, mower, blade, snowplow, rear plow and cultivator. I rarely use the rear blade or snowplow, loader does just fine for both. The cultivator/ripper is great for the garden and my food plots. A few passes in spring and fall gets the ground prepped pretty nice, I have a few sets of sweeps that I change out depending on what I'm trying to do. Main thing for me (and I've heard this from others) is the dealer support. I've got a Kubota dealer 10 minutes away and they're very helpful. Usually I work on the tractor myself but if I'm busy they'll service it in the spring for 200 bucks. I'm sure you'll be happy with the purchase. I use mine all the time, wish I had bought it sooner.

4. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

5. haypoint

haypoint Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate Supporter

Most folks know how a backhoe works, having seen construction sites. Before you sink any money into a small tractor and a backhoe attachment, try one out. Some are slightly better than a guy and a shovel. While you might have a few small jobs for a backhoe, those tiny attachments might take you all summer, picking away.
    I had a Long brand backhoe attachment on a 85 horse power tractor and it was painfully slow. The backhoe attachments I have seen for those petite 35 horse tractors lack reach, depth and pressure.

6. Ben10

Ben10 Active Member

Thank you everyone sorry I did duplicate post. I did end up not doing the digger because of how junky it was. I bought a massey 1739E with a loader a brush hog,disk and canopy and yes 4x4 was a must. I have put 10 hours on it so far it made fast work of my mowing it cut it in half with the brush hog and the disking works nicely. Next i will use it to put up a fence to keep deer away from my orchard. They just love to eat apple leaves.