Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In about 5 years I will retire (ifin I am still alive and kickin) I have lived on farms all my life and the wife has lived on farms the last 35 years weve been married.We cut back a few years ago on the farmin and just have 100 acres for huntin, cutin wood and enough space to pee where I want when I want!

back to the question! when I retire we are thikin about doin the fulltime camper thing and just move and stay for a few weeks here and then move for a few,and so on.
Now I have also though about livin on a lake close to home(100 ml or so )here in the Ozarks,but the problem with ether is would that style of livin get old and I miss my lifestyle I am use to livin.
the bad thing about thinking about it all is,it makes me want to retire now :facepalm: what you say thanks bob

·
Registered
551 Posts
You just described my dream life! Me & the wife are only in our late 30's but told her one day I'd love to just buy a nice camper and travel all over staying for a few weeks or months and then moving on to explore another area. I'd be in heaven! If you financially can do it and the wife is on board with it I'd say go for it!! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I know of two people who both have campers. One has a truck and the other a camper they drive. They travel south in the winter and North or West the rest of the year. One guy has bought land in various locations; usually 2 to five acres. Then when he wants to move he has some where to park his camper. He works odd jobs to get money. The other guy is a Busker working fairs and exhibitons in the US and Canada. I like to roam and could live that life except would settle during growing season so I could have a garden. My husband though is a farmer with roots in the ground and don't like moving or traveling So my roaming days are over!

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
We have 3 places, the homestead, a lake cabin and a cottage at the beach. We live at home everyday, just different places. We are lucky in that DS lives on the homestead in his own cabin so he takes care of things when we are gone. We don't have a lot to do at the homestead, mostly just enough to keep eating. I find plenty to do at each, fishing, hunting, gleaning from the forest and exploring. We have a little metal detector. We travel to other places just to get away and enjoy the world within 300 miles or so. Up to the Canadian border, down along the beach to the redwoods and N.E. to the lake. Over the mountains to the rim rocks, not much I want to see in the far S.E part of the state. We like trees and water....James

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
I'd at least rent an rv for awhile and try it first. Some people love it but some people find it not to their liking after all.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I think it's a great retirement gift to give yourselves for a job well done, buuuuut I don't think it's very realistic for an aging lifestyle. As we age, the stress and lack of movement from driving long periods can really wreak havoc. Also, all that moving around will make it nearly impossible to have consistent health care provider.

I've been told that I'm too pragmatic. I hope I'm not squashing the dream.

I would view the camper or RV as a short-term gift you give yourselves ... a second honeymoon. Then return to a steady address and start the next 35 years. :D

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Me and my wife considered this. We now have a couple acres by Bennett Spring State Park and have a small lot with Cabin by Warsaw close as we can get to Truman Lake.

Like both places. Our problem is we have a few Rabbits and Chickens and two Dogs. Dogs are not the problem other animals are but we enjoy them.

If we Traveled with RV, we wouldn't have anything stable and would be close quarters all the time.

It is just me but if I wanted one Dream place it would be in Warsaw. Like the Town right on Lake of the Ozarks but close to Truman Lake. Great Fishing and Hunting, all kinds of nice shops in town.

The Harbor

Down Town

big rockpile

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
As someone who's lived in an rv for over 9 years now, the excitement does wear off, at least it did for me and my wife. We want very much to leave the fulltime rv lifestyle behind and settle down again.

It's probably a good idea to have a "home base" that you can return to if and when you don't feel like traveling for a while. You may get the hankerin' to grow a little food some spring or summer.

An rv will depreciate kinda like a car does. You can buy a $200k rig today and it will be worth a LOT less than that 10 years from now. Hopefully, if you keep a piece of real estate, that will be more stable in value, if that matters to you. It might also mean you won't have to either sell or put into storage everything you have that you won't want to take with you everywhere you go.

Having that place to come home to if you decide to do so can be a good idea financially even though you may need someone to look after the place when you're gone.

Good luck!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bellyman & big rockpile you guys go it nailed ,that's what I am afraid of.I like it where I am,but I have always though about fulltime traveling and also living on a lake! big rock living on a lake would be great in the summer but in the winter when it dies down does it get boreing thanks bob

·
Registered
665 Posts
One other problem if you are doing this and are over 50 yrs old. Medical care! Docs need to get to know you to make sure if what you might be complaining about is normal or requires tons of investigatory care and lots of $$$$.

We have moved 16 times. Between Milwaukee and Chicago but it might have been between Milwaukee and Dallas as Chicago is so huge that you are 2.5 hours apart from various suburbs. We are real healthy but doctors and medical has been a bear to keep track of. Simple check up stuff require what then may be needed 2 years later at your next location is just crazy to track down.

Also, don't underestimate the feeling of being an "outsider". We have worn ourselves out making friends over and over. For the kids and us. New parishes, new stores, new everything each time.

Now, we are 2.5 hours from everywhere but staying in one place as of May 30 this year. Just giving you the other side of the coin.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The ole Poot and I did this off and on for almost 15 years. I found that I missed the farm life terribly. It was fun to do for a bit but we eventually settled back down and are starting over on our little piece of ozark heaven.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
bellyman & big rockpile you guys go it nailed ,that's what I am afraid of.I like it where I am,but I have always though about fulltime traveling and also living on a lake! big rock living on a lake would be great in the summer but in the winter when it dies down does it get boreing thanks bob

That is one thing about Warsaw. Fishing slows, yes it gets quiet but the Town is Gearing up for Christmas. You say you go Hunting. Truman has some of the best hunting in the state. By the time hunting slows Fishing starts back up.

Warsaw don't shut down like it does here at Bennett Spring. Bennett Spring has nothing from last of October until first of March.

Village set up by the Dam. Christmas time.

Me and my wife traveled all over the U.S. but found we had not seen Missouri. There is so many places to explore and spend few days to weeks at a time.

big rockpile

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've not spent a lot of time in RV parks but I have lived out of a truck camper and a pull behind camp trailer for some months at a time. The main drawbacks I find are that there isn't much room to spread out your stuff, and in RV parks there's no privacy. At home I have a work shop, a place for animals, a yard to putter around in, and a shed for my toys and junk. I also have places here and there to pee without shocking the neighbors. I like being home most of the time, but there are times when going off on an adventure is a good thing. If you want to see certain places or do certain things you have to travel. And having an RV of some kind makes that a lot more comfortable and pleasant than camping out in a tent or staying in motels all the time. But, personally, I get tired of traveling around RV style quicker than I get tired of staying home.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks, everyone is throughing out good thoughts,as many have said I do worrie about getting bored and not havin my space

·
Premium Member
23,896 Posts
I lived on a lake for awhile,did not like all the people,noise,tresspassers. Traveling all the time- No, I like to garden too much.

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
For me, it would depend on the lake. If it is a small quiet lake with few if any neighbors, then I would love it, assuming there was some good fishing. If it was your typical large lake with endless lawn mowers, chainsaws, and speed boats then I will stick to my rural home where I have privacy and peace and quiet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts