Thought I would share with you all...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Joy in Eastern WA, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Joy in Eastern WA

Joy in Eastern WA Well-Known Member

...our new house we're building!

www.spfarm.com/home

Can't believe, after two years, we are finally getting started on the house. This coming week, we will have the first floor framed in and the wrap around porches started. Doing this all ourselves with a little help from our friends.

Barn, greenhouse and other outbuildings will probably have to wait until next year to get started. I'll get the small orchard planted after the wheat is up this fall.

Lots to do and I want it all done now! :D

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Nice place! Now that you have plenty of water and a dry well for a return are you considering installing a geothermal heat pump?

3. margo

margo Well-Known Member

Don't worry, the time will fly by, 'cause you'll be very busy. :) It looks as if the views from all sides will be pretty and I notice it appears to be reasonably flat. All the best, may it all go together as planned. Very happy for you. Let the dream begin........Margo

4. Joy in Eastern WA

Joy in Eastern WA Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comments! We are so thrilled to *finally* be doing something! It's a dream coming true right before our very eyes and it's great to be partaking of the whole process.

Agmantoo, we have thought very seriously about the geothermal system, especially with the dry well, but the guy who was going to work with us on the system said that we couldn't do the open loop because of the volume of water need for the size house we have. Yes, we have enough volume per minute, but the amount that needs to be pulled up and the power needed would keep the system from being as effecient as it's designed to be. The closed loop system would be a no go as well, since the pipe would be laid down in an alfalfa field. Gophers love alfalfa, so they could possibly chew through the lines. Not a good thing. So, needless to say, we're back to square one on the heating and cooling. DH is looking into a new type of air to air heat pump that's very efficient and it's being recently introduced into the New England states. So, if it works real good for them, it should be a charm to have out here. The only drawback, we need to make a decision this week about our system.

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I push 8 GPM thru my geothermal heatpump from a depth of 220 ft and the unit has run for 14 years extremely economically. My well only has 12GPM which leaves 4GPM for the house. I do have large bladder tanks in order to reduce the frequency the pump motor cycles. I do not have any strip heat and did you know that a geothermal does not have to go thru a defrost cycle plus in the summer you can pull heat off for the hot water? All of these are additional savings and would offset pumping from deep. I suggest you talk to others to get additional inputs.

6. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..................Joy , great pics of your house . Maybe you'll get to spend Christmas in your new home . There country is so beautiful, but I'm wondering , did that counrty use to be covered with timber say 100 years back . I would think that there were tree's every where, just courious......fordy.... :)

7. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

Just Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

8. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

How exciting Joy! You have a wonderful view too! :)

9. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

Looks beautiful out there! I'm glad for you. :)

10. savingup

savingup Active Member

It's a beautiful place. Many happy days!

11. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Looks GREAT!!!

Really nice looking house by the plans...

Good luck.