Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you bed so deep they can't stick their feet through the slots of the pallet? Or, do you do something to the pallet before covering it with straw?? I am afraid someone could break a leg but am interested in the concept. Thanks!!

·
Registered
455 Posts
We used pallets under straw one winter when we were having drainage problems. We covered the pallets with some left over barn siding (the 4'x8' panels) pieces first. For the same reason you mention---fear of a broken or twisted leg.

·
Banned
2,113 Posts
I have a serious water problem; my place is on a hillside just oozing with springs and the result is mud and water everywhere.

I'm currently working on my permanent goat house (as opposed to the temporary, hoop one) and I'm thinking, for the flooring, pallets with stall mats on top.

That would get the goats up off the soggy ground and they couldn't get a hoof through the pallet. I'm not sure, though, about them lying on the rubber. Of course, there would be bedding on top of the mats but I'm concerned about there being an adverse reaction to that much contact with the rubber.

Has anyone else tried the stall mats for goats?

Janis

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
My goats have pallets in a pen that is muddy when it rains formulated into bridges and towers. they all head butt play and jump on them. If they were horses they would all have broken legs by now. goats are different, I am personally comfortable with them playng on them. Now my ponies aren't allowed access to pallets that aren't solid topped! I just throw straw on top of them and it slowly works down under the pallet in shelter situations. Its a pia when it comes time to clean them out. if you don't put bedding down on top of them in a barn floor situation they get a layer of rock hard smashed poop and dirt on them.

·
Katie
19,970 Posts
We use pallats under all our lean too's, house's, etc. for the goats. We put sheets of ply wood on top of the pallats & then cover that with the black ruff rolled type roofing. It works for us & the goats don't seem to mind it. I don't deep bed though, not because it's on pallats, Just because I clean there houses everyday & fresh bedding all winter or when it's rainy. I have never had a goat get cold & sick yet & I'm in northeast Michigan.

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
We use pallets in the barn floor, but they are not the widely spaced pallets. The slats on these pallets are so closely spaced they present a solid surface/top.

We use bedding on top, but its still a pain to clean, we use a long handled flat scraper tool from a bakery to get beneath the packed poop/bedding and just peel it up.

Halo

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,437 Posts
I'm very thankful to have on hand the pallets I use for goat house flooring! Two springs in a row, we had such awful flooding, the goat house floor was ankle deep in water. No where for them to go to get dry.

I now have pallet flooring with plywood nailed to the tops of the pallets. Keeps the pallets in place and keeps the goats from catching a foot between the slats. Throw down some hay / straw, and everyone is set for wintering.

Mice may very well ensconce themselves under the flooring, but I'm betting the NEXT flood wipes them out :)

Yay! for pallets!

NeHi

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I have my goats on rubber mats with pine shavings; they love it. I get the 4x6 mats for $37.00 each at Tractor Supply or Southern States Co-Op.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
I use pallets in all my goat sheds. I do not put any type of solid flooring on top, *BUT* I do throw about 1 bale of bedding in for each small shed. They walk on it, it gets mashed between the slats and before the first day is over, you have a perfectly solid floor for them to walk on. The water still runs under when we get a flood, and there is no room for mice to live. I have done this for years and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a serious water problem; my place is on a hillside just oozing with springs and the result is mud and water everywhere.

I'm currently working on my permanent goat house (as opposed to the temporary, hoop one) and I'm thinking, for the flooring, pallets with stall mats on top.

That would get the goats up off the soggy ground and they couldn't get a hoof through the pallet. I'm not sure, though, about them lying on the rubber. Of course, there would be bedding on top of the mats but I'm concerned about there being an adverse reaction to that much contact with the rubber.

Janis

Janis
I haven’t had goats super long, but mine sleep on stall mats with straw on top and seem to be fine. Mine aren’t on top of pallets, just in a barn. Still I think it would be fine to use stall mats in your situation.

·
Premium Member
24,804 Posts
Jan 13, 2021

The thread is 12 years old and the poster you quoted has been banned.
The recommended reading section is full of really old threads.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts