Those of you from VT

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by pcdreams, Jun 13, 2004.

1. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

We have been browsing some real estate ads for land in VT. I'll post the links and hopefully someone will know the area and tell me a little about it.

Newport Center area

http://www.allseasonsre.com/5851.asp

This one is near Lowell

http://www.nneren.com/

enter 115974 in the search by MLS#

2. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Those are good prices , especially the 50 acre one.
    I would be wary of living on a snowmobile trail though, unless you dont mind people USING the trail through your land, and believe me, Vermonters love their snowmobiles :haha:

The one near Canada is very pretty, but be aware, if you are looking to live in the mountains, the further north in Vermont you go, the flatter it gets. Northern Vermont is very beautiful and I prefer it to the more mountainous southern area. However, the wind blows a LOT there, if you dont like that that is something to take into consideration. Also the growing season is short, and the winters are long. I dont know the actual areas posted, but I do know northern Vermont and I would live there in a second.

3. MARYDVM

MARYDVM Well-Known Member

I spent 16 years in Mooers NY, just across Lake Champlain from the northernmost part of VT. In that part of the country a "camp" often does not have road access, that snowmobile trail may be the only way in. Also, a lot of "camps" aren't insulated for winter. The wind chill drops the temps real low in the winter. Every Feb. we seemed to have 2 weeks of uninterrupted cold when the temp hovered between -15 and -40 with wind chill. Then spring with blackflies and Vt roads turn to solid mud. I would try living in the area year round before buying, just to be sure it's what you like.

4. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

Noted that no electric to home. Probably can not get power there. sounds like a real homestead.

5. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

Hi,my wife and I are also interested in possibly moving to Vermont someday.From what I've read the property prices are high and the jobs are a little hard to come by,is this true?I have read that while land is less expensive in the Northeast Kingdom,jobs are even harder to find.Job wise,are some skills more in demand than others?Any suggestions?Thankyou,BASIC.

6. pcdreams

thanks for the replies folks. I've emailed about these properties. The 12 acres in newport sounds good.

Still haven't heard about the one with the house. The ROW is the first thing I ask about in that email. I also can't determine if the VAST goes through the property or if it is ajoining the property (like a road). That is something I ask about also.

as far as not being insulated. Well I can fix that :) No electric worries me a bit. We did plan to go solar but maybe not that soon...

7. MARYDVM

For solar, remember that there aren't a lot of sunny days in that part of the country. While you are looking up there, check out Clinton county N.Y. The land price is much lower than Vt. (not as trendy) there are a lot of small dairy farms available that have gone out of business, also wooded land, and the roads are paved.

8. pcdreams

NY is beautiful also (and cheaper) but I can't stand the gun laws there :)

9. I have owned a weekend log cabin in Albany, VT for ten years. Albany is very close to Lowel. This part of Vermont is known as the Northeast Kingdom and I think the name fits very well. It is the most scenic part of New England in my opinion. Here are the main things to consider if you are thinking about living there; 1) highest unemployent rate in the state - 7%+, 2) very short growing season (I estimate 1 month shorter than where I live in upsate NY), 3) lots of snow, -30 F is not unusual, 4)high property taxes, 5) closest airport is in Burlington 90 minute drive, 6)too many ATV's. On the positive side; 1) land is still fairly reasonable but rising rapidly, 2) very high environmental quality, 3) lots of dirt roads and small farms.

A note of interest - there is a major wind turbine project proposed for the Lowel mountains.

10. pcdreams

got word back today. Everything but the house sounds good. Sounds like it needs to go.

still kind of ify on that one though. No power for 1+ miles 50k to get it there.

the one in newport has electric on site.

We plan to go solar but it might take a while ($$$) so it would be nice to have power in the mean time..

11. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

What gun laws are you talking about?

12. MARYDVM

Kind of surprised me too, since all my hunter friends seemed to have more guns than they knew what to do with. I guess it's because you need a permit to own or carry a handgun?

13. pcdreams

If I offended anyone. It was my understanding (apperently incorrect) that it was almost impossible to own/use any type of firearm in NY.

again apologies for my misunderstanding..

14. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

VAST cannot come on your property unless you let them. You tell them where they can ride or if they can ride for the coming year. If you do not want them to then that is fine. Lake Memphramagog is a beautiful lake. When you are coming into Newport you have to come down a long steep hill. Pretty area, friendly people. Has been depressed in the past but seems to be making a comeback. You have fairly good access from Newport to Jay Peak Ski Resort and a stunning view of Canada from many spots. Land is cheaper there than here in Franklin County. Jobs are what you make them.

In Vermont we have strange seasons... Snow, Mud, gardening, Leaf Peepers season. That about cuts it. I would not live anywhere else. If you are a determined individual and aren't afraid of some challenges (mud ruts or ice storms or tourists) then it really is beautiful. We live in Georgia which is in the opposite corner of the State but still in the Northern sections.

15. pcdreams

I see all these real estate adds that say property is residential, recreational, timberland, etc. I'm wondering if this is just a description or if this is how they are zoned.

I see a lot in the "recreational" catagory that I like. I'd just hate to get one and find I couldn't build a year round residence there.

16. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

The only way to be sure of the zoning is to contact the town that the place is in and get the zoning. As a pre-check on all the listings it has a spot that says zoning AR1 = agricultural com = commercial etc. Check with the town to avoid the heartbreak of falling in love with someplace and then finding it is not possible to build or have animals etc. This is a good way to get the scoop on the place too. Ask the planning or zoning boards if there have been perks done or attempted on that land, is there problems with power or are wells in the area contaminated.

One huge factor in VT now is if you buy a place with an underground tank (oil) the insurance companies in the state will not cover you. We have been running ragged putting in above ground tanks this spring.

Laurie

17. VTHomesteader

VTHomesteader Member

I'm a Vermont farmer/homesteader. I've only been here 25 years, so I'm not a REAL Vermonter. My partner is 7th generation VT'er on one side and 8th generation on the other. I am somewhat redeemed by being with him the last 18 years ;-)

This seems like a good place to mention How Not to Become a Homesteader. I wrote it a few years ago.....

http://www.homestead.com/peaceandcarrots/HowNotToBecomeAHomesteader.html

There is a huge difference in zoning from town to town. Our town has some zoning, the next one over has none.

My daughter built a nice little house for about $5000. Our underground house cost around $10,000. We have a sawdust toilet, my daughter has an incinerating toilet. Lots of links and pics on our website.

Wendy
    Peace and Carrots Farm
    Maple Corner, Vermont
    http://www.homestead.com/peaceandcarrots/

18. pcdreams

I read your website quite often :) Didn't know you were on this board also. I'm also a member over on your forums.

Lots of good info there also.. :)