Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
aka avdpas77
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out at my local Ace hardware looking for a shovel handle. Just wanted to let everyone know they have wide-mouth quart Ball mason jars on sale (with rings and lids) for $10 a dozen and narrow mouth for $7 dollars a dozen.

I've kept my eyes out at farm sales, but there must be a lot of people looking, because I am not finfing much or they are going too high. So, if any of you out there are in the same boat as me, you might want to check it out. I am not touting the chain, simply relaying a good deal. I think they are on sale for about a week.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I came across that deal yesterday and bought 3 dozen of the wide mouth jars and 5 dozen of the regular. I've seen jars going for ridiculous prices at auctions and there's no way to guarantee those bought at auction don't have chips.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Check Craig's list for canning jars. I got maybe 6 dozen jars from a little old lady that wasn't canning anymore. They were free. I had to pack & move them.

·
Premium Member
25,277 Posts
Rural King is having a store wide rebate sale (merchandise credit check), canning supplies included. Today until Sept 6 (?) IIRC.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I've been admiring the green ones. They remind me of the depression glass green. Thought they would be nice for storage in my kitchen. They had them recently two boxes for $14 but I couldn't get there to get them. I have a friend who works at our local-ish St Vicent De Paul and she got me some smoking deals this year.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
It's actually sad that, around here, I can buy the ball nrand jars brand new cheaper than what people ask for used ones on CL.
I saw an ad a few weeks ago, someone had a few hundred canning jars for sale, all quarts. $1.50 each, of course no lids or bands with them.
Well, more power to them if they can actually sell them, but it won't be to me.

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
Back before Y2K I could pick up canning jars at the thrift stores for 5-10 cents. Once that became a threat, they went up to almost the cost of new, so if you had to purchase lids they were more expensive than new. I used to know only one or two people that canned, and now I know many people canning so there are fewer used cans to be found. Finding them on sale or clearance has usually been the best bet for me.

Dawn

·
Registered
904 Posts
Back before Y2K I could pick up canning jars at the thrift stores for 5-10 cents. Once that became a threat, they went up to almost the cost of new, so if you had to purchase lids they were more expensive than new. I used to know only one or two people that canned, and now I know many people canning so there are fewer used cans to be found. Finding them on sale or clearance has usually been the best bet for me.

Dawn
It was my thinking ahead again. I saw it coming and that is why I posted Wanted Canning Jars ads in two local papers. I did that in 1998 because I knew what Y2K would do to jar prices. I picked up over 3000 jars free during the next two weeks. I also bought a 5KW generator for $479.99 that was over $650 the next year. I wasn't worrying about Y2K but most Winters here we lose power at least once.

·
Lovin' my Fam
4,459 Posts
I know I probably have 40 dozen quarts- well I am now outta pints we filled them all- I put an ad on Craigslist asking if anyone one wanted to trade case for case- quarts for pints!
I know pints are cheaper at the store- but I figure if I can trade I would rather do that

·
Premium Member
25,277 Posts
We've got one thrift store that occasionally has jars for 50 cents each. The other has them all the time for 90 cents each, no bands or lids. I won't pay new prices for canning jars with no bands or lids. Besides, Meijer usually has a buy one, get one 1/2 off sale or buy 2, get 1 free sale about this time of year.

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
In a month, start checking out TSC, Lowes, and Home Depot.... they sometimes close out everything, for a fraction of cost. I bought several hundred boxes of lids for 40c each a few years back.... got cases of half pints for $2/case.

Just have to check regularly, and if you see a clerk, ask.... all they can do is say no, or they don't know.

Reactions: 7thswan

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
In a month, start checking out TSC, Lowes, and Home Depot.... they sometimes close out everything, for a fraction of cost. I bought several hundred boxes of lids for 40c each a few years back.... got cases of half pints for $2/case.

Just have to check regularly, and if you see a clerk, ask.... all they can do is say no, or they don't know.
Great advice. Will start watching.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts