Those Darling Diatoms!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Pony, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Those of you who have successfully used diatomaceous earth: How often and how liberally do/did you apply it?

The web site from which I purchased my DE said to sprinkle it on 'til the plants are white with it, but did not say how often it should be done.

BTW, so far, so good. :clap:

Now, is there an icon for "holding breath"?

Pony!

2. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

two reasons why I don't use it even though its "organic":

It does kill worms in chickens and livestock, but it will also kill good worms in your garden.

If you happen to breathe some, it damages your lungs like breathing crushed glass.

3. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

I have been careful to wear a mask and goggles when handling the stuff.

The literature I read says that it does not damage worms in the garden because they have a different physiology than intestinal parasites, with much thicker bodies/skin. Could you point me to that info on earthworms? If they are endangered by my use of DE, I'm going to need to find a way to remedy the situation.

Thanks,
    Pony!

4. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I use it ALOT in my garden...and every shovelful of dirt has at least one HUGE night crawler in it....and my donkey manure pile-they each get 1/2c a day of D.E. in the winter when I feeding oats, there are TONS of worms in the manure pile. As to the use----I apply it when it is needed and then when it is washed off by rain or watering...and it usually doesn't need to be reapplied 'cause the little buggies that were there are gone! :) As long as it is on the plant is is 'working' as far as I can see. If you think about it...by the time the D.E. eventually gets down off the plant on to the ground and gets mixed in with the soil it is very well 'diluted' and it would seem awfuly hard for it to kill a worm by then.