Thorn apple tree w/goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Maple Tree Farm, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Maple Tree Farm

Maple Tree Farm Active Member

The land that I have fenced off for my goats has numerous thorn apple trees on the property. Will the goats be ok in this area. I would hate to have to try and remove them, as they are most of the shade trees in that area. I realized they may be a problem when I had a thorn go through the bottom of my boot into my foot :flame:

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

the goats will eat them, (if we are talking about the same trees, the ones often used for hedge rows and produces the big green brain lookin things) our goats would strop the saplilngs and eat any of the low branches they could get too, new growth thorns were eaten old thorns were nibbled around.
    the same with the Thorny Locust trees

3. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

They will cause more hoof problems than you can shake a stick at. This is one tree that I eagerly chop down each and every time I get a chance to....dunno how many thorns I've laboriously pried out of feet, and then there are the udders to worry about. Any forage value is nonexistent compared to the damage they cause.

4. Farmboy

Farmboy Well-Known Member

In my experience, goats will strip both trees and briars clean, regardless of how big the thorns are. I don't know how they do it! Some of the thorns that go into their mouths are pretty scary. :)