This year's pigs, keeping and butchering - Pics

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by gilberte, Oct 17, 2005.

1. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Looks like some goods eats there! We did ours last week, only thing we've eaten so far is the liver, mmmmmmmmm.
    Does that electric fence keep them in okay? They never get loose? Doesn't the grass and weeds grow up and short it out?

2. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

Gilberte

No, my pigs have never gotten loose. Not once. Never. I am a huge believer in electric fencing. I’ve said it before but they use this fencing to keep the lions and tigers at the zoo from even testing the other fencing they have erected. Twice a year I fire up the weed eater and cut down the weeds under the bottom wire. I unplug the fence before I do this. Then I spray the weeds with Round Up. The biggest problem I have with the fence shorting out is when slugs climb up the T-bars onto the insulators and then die there when the first pulse kills them. When I come outside in the morning and hear the fence “snapping” I unplug it and go searching for the slug. BTW I’ve accidentally left the fence unplugged for more then a week.

Allan:

Yes, it was dark. We started at 7:00pm and finished about 9:30pm. I had the Honda generator in the back of the truck, powering a couple stands of halogen lights.

I’m surprised no one noticed the little blond head in the corner of the gutting picture. That’s my 6yo boy learning more about anatomy then most kids three times his age.

Pete

3. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for posting the pics. I am still very much in the reading and dreaming stages... haven't even figured out where the fences should go yet :rolleyes:

So, for folks like me who have never been around a kill/clean operation it's great to actually see it going on.

Thanks again! :goodjob: