This year's calf born...

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JulieLou42, Jul 12, 2006.

1. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

Monday about 9:15 PST, with the aid of a fantastic veternarian.

[​IMG]

Ginger was bellowing loudly at 6 a.m. when I first got up, and this continued for 2 hours, with no bag breaking and no hooves showing through. so I callled him and he came in about 40 minutes.

RibRoast was trying to come with his head first, which doesn't work very well... but he didn't know that! So, vet broke water, straightened out his legs, moved the placenta away from one of them, and attached the chains you see in photo.

[​IMG]

The whole ordeal took about 20 minutes prep.

She was given penicillin and oxytocin, the latter of which was to be certain she'd pass her afterbirth, which she did at about 2 hours postpartum.

It took about an hour for calf to be cleaned up and on his feet and trying to get food; but mama wouldn't let him and just kept dancing away. So I figured I'd better get in there and milk some colustrum out for him. I think she knew what was going to happen as soon as she heard my milk bucket clanging near her. I took about 3/4 gallon and ran up the hill to strain it and bottle it. Within the next hour or so, he took down close to two quarts of it.

Ginger's calling now, so I better go see what she wants; getting close to milking time again.

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

alot of times mothers will make their newborns work for their first meal, that way they are sure that the baby is up and moveing good, its a instinct from the wild days, a herd animal needs to be up and moveing and able to keep up with the herd in a VERY short time to have a chance with preditors,
    even though you have no preditors that will likely come for the calf the cow was just doing what came naturally,
    is this her first calf? they are both VERY nice looking animals, Congratulations

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Great news! :) I'm glad Rib Roast made it. What kind of cow is Ginger?

4. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

You know what works instead of Oxytocin? Warm water, we use it and they all clean out fairly quickly after drinking it. We had one clean within minutes after drinking warm water. Took another one an hour or so beyond getting up.

Either way, good to see everyone made it.

Jeff

5. john in la

john in la Well-Known Member

Glad to see everyone made it through OK.

Good picture of the Vet for others to learn from.
    Notice he is using sterile obstetrical chains. (Rope can be used but it is hard to keep clean)
    The chains are looped around the foot for guidance but are also looped above the first joint. If you do not loop above the first joint you can pull the foot off.
    He is pulling DOWN and not straight back.
    There are no tractors; pickups; or come-a-longs in sight.

AND it is great when the coach helps. LOL!!!

[​IMG]

6. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your input and all.

This was her fourth calf, but only last year's was she able to do all by herself.
    Two have had difficult presentations, and one was just too big to get out by himself, even tho' he was the second calf.

Oh, well, she's great in so many other ways:

1. Her milk is OUTSTANDING!
    2. Easy milker, well-behaved
    3. Bellows loudly when in heat.
    4. Has 100% AI conception rate
    5. Takes heat and cold well.
    6. Is quite friendly
    7. Not so much milk that I cannot milk once a day, when the time comes.

Loved that bubble thought you added to the picture, John. Koda just wouldn't stay away! I didn't know she was anywhere near at the time. Ginger hates the dogs being around her calf.

Her bag looks humongous here, but it really doesn't seem to produce that much milk. I got 1.5 gal last night from her left rear quarter; it seems the calf mustv'e got all of it from the right. And this morning I got just over a gallon, which will be the first gallon the family can use...yeah!!!!

She's a 3/4 Guernsey x Red Angus.