This weekends sale

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by kgchis, Jul 9, 2006.

1. kgchis

kgchis Well-Known Member

I was wondering is anyone had been to a sale in their area lately.

Here we are way low on rain for July. I went to the sale yesterday and they sold calves for 4 1/2 hours then started on the cows. Usually the whole sale is 4 hours or so.

People were bringing their whole herds to the sale because they are out of grass or water. I saw 2 year old beef cows with good looking first calves selling for $750 to $800. I plan to go back next weekend and buy a pair or two.

2. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

My heart really goes out to you guys down south that are going through the drought. It must be tough to do all that hard work to keep care of your animals just to be kicked in the face my mother nature. We've been reading about alot of farmers having to sell off their entire herds.

Heather

3. kgchis

kgchis Well-Known Member

Yeah we are really lucky. We have our cattle on 70 acres right now that is nearly out, but we have another 100 that hasn't been grazed yet. We are going to swap pastures in a couple weeks and hope that gets us through the drought.

We also pre-ordered our hay on a first cut. We have 100 bales in the barn so we should have plenty. Others that waited later than we did need can't find hay. The hay isn't growing back so it looks like it will only be 1 cut this year. I don't know how the others will get through the winter. Some farmers are already feeding what they bought on the first cut so they won't have any this winter. I have also heard of hay selling for $25 to $30 a bale.

4. milkinpigs

milkinpigs Dairy/Hog Farmer

Most beef herds here are already gone except for the young stock.The local sale barn here has been running 500 heads over normal for4 months, even made the news in Dallas. Low quality round bales here start at $60, good quality is going for $80-$85.If no rain by Fall, and latest reports say there won't be,the only beef cattle left will belong to the doctors and lawyers using them for a tax write off. Some dairies are talking about sell out,kind of a triple whammy deal....drought,low milk prices and the high price of everything

5. Up North

Kinda the PERFECT STORM scenario. Doggone rough go. Was reading about Oklahoma and it sounds like the entire state- all 77 counties may be declared a federal disaster. And much of that area's cattlemen have bought all the hay out of Colorado and trucked it in allready at $120-$150/ton with trucking figured in. I guess the only silver lining is the beef folks are getting reasonable price for stock being liquidated...for now.....

6. milkinpigs

only problem is there's no background music and I don't look like George Clooney !!!

7. kgchis

kgchis Well-Known Member

Well in our area calves are still doing well, but cows are in the tank. A good cow right now is about 50% off.

I am glad we are only having to sell a few calves at the moment although a couple of our older cows (15 years+) have died from the rough conditions.

FYI - I know we should have unloaded a 15 year old cow a long time ago, but my mom gets attached to hers and won't let us sell. :angel: She wants them to pass peacefully on the farm. :angel:

8. Up North

More like Bruce Willis left out in the sun too long with the brain of John Phipps. Crank up the Tejano and you got y'self a movie :) Kinda of a hybrid cross between TWISTER and THE GRAPES OF WRATH.

9. milkinpigs

the nurse has always said the bruce willis thing.....now if she could look like demi moore.......hubba hubba looked at the drought monitor lately.......yahoo had a blip on it this a.m..... it's moving north a little...keep your eyes open no joke!!!

10. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

Kgchis:
    Get ready. $30 hay sounds cheap to me. Friend put 200 pounds of fertilizer per acre on 80 acres, got 37 round bales. I put l50 pounds on 28 acres and looks as if I will be lucky to get l2-l5 bales. We will have more than $30 per bale in the hay when it falls out of the baler. Lots of old cows will meet their maker this winter.
    Ox

11. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

While you guys down south are getting hit hard with hot and dry weather, we have been hit hard with rainy weather. Many people in Vermont didn't get their corn planted because it was too wet, floods west of here destroyed some farmers fields. Some farms have planted LATE here, and are banking off of a long summer. Thing is, the way this summer has gone, I won't be surprised we see a killer frost early. If that happens, MANY farms won't be with good corn, only the stalks. I am one of the lucky ones, I have about 400 bales of baleage, plenty from now till next summer, with more hay to mow. But I am a the exception. Was talking with someone the other day, I told him how many bales I have, he was very surprised.

So the south gets hit with drought weather, while the northeast gets hit with record amounts of rain. Atleast June wasn't as bad as last October, we had 14" of rain last October.

Jeff

12. Patt

Patt Well-Known Member

Goodness that sounds like where we were last summer here in Arkansas. We got a bit more rain this summer but we're starting to dry up now. Our county almost rain out fo water for everyone over the fall and early winter. We've culled down and we're discussing let more go but it's really hard once you've built up to good animals that handle well and you realy like. Sigh...

13. Up North

Tractor parts and fuel are higher than the nuts on a giraffe..................
    You'll know things are bad when you put the auctioneer's phone number on speed dial.

14. milkinpigs

Perhaps this should be addressed on the giraffe forum: exactly how high are a giraffe's nuts? This might prove useful as I'm considering raising giraffes in the future and need to know what size ladder I would need to castrate the young male stock. Your expertise in this matter is very much appreciated. would you also recommend the www.giraffesnuts.com website?

15. Up North

They are quite a reach. Tried to band one to win a bet while on Safari.
    Lost the bet and a few teeth as well. :rolleyes: A Grand Adventure that :)

16. Up North

MilkinPigs I would urge you to reconsider stocking the ranch with Giraffes.
    First, you would have the expense of removing all overhead powerlines and replacing them with underground lines. Second, you would have expensive modifications to your 5th wheel stock trailer. Third is you are too darn close to the runways of Dallas-Ft. Worth International Airport. Fourth is you would have to retain the services of ELASTIGIRL(AKA Mrs. Incredible) to do a proper job with the AI work.Lastly, your location lacks the proper rainfall
    to support the species.