Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone sent me this photo of this goat that is starving to death. The people that has goats do not have no grass to eat an lots of them ether have babies or expecting babies. Which I can not see a goat having babies that are in poor shape like this. The people that has these goats are not taking care of these poor animals. So someone took photos of these goats of how bad of shape they are in an need to be reported to the local police department. Do any of you know of some other places to send in photos of these goats alone with contacting the News Stations about this?

Photos of goats starving to death.

Last saying a report has been sent in so I do not have to worry about it the people near by sent in a report so it has been looked into. Now waiting or report to come back to me.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Do you know the owner? Are you absolutely positive that the current owner has starved them? Is it possible that they are rescues that someone has taken and they haven't regained their weight yet? I'd want to get answers to some questions before I accused someone of starving them. Why hasn't the person who took the pic done anything? Lots of questions are running thru my mind.

If they are truly being starved by their current owner, then I agree that something needs to be done ASAP.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
The goats in those photos are not skinny or starving. Unless they were *just* put on that pasture and have *nothing* else to eat, they look fine. Maybe not fat, but not starving. See the slick hair coat?? Bright eyes?? That goat is not unhealthy. And look at that rumen, that goat is sure getting something to eat. Starving goats have no rumen at all and are as thin as a board. How do you know they have no hay elsewhere or nothing else to eat but what shows in those pictures?? Many goats who get hay, will still eat their pastures down to that point. I wouldn't do anything, but watch and wait to see if those goats get thinner. From looking at those pictures, they are not starving yet, or abused, and so its none of your business yet. Don't jump the gun. I have picked up starving goats from irresponsible breeders before...believe me, that goat in that picture is NOT starving.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
I think they could be starving.

Could this not be a preggo doe? And I"ve seen some skinny goats that didn't look 'too bad' otherwise... IE, bright eyes and a pretty shiny haircoat. Look at the way the spine and hips protrude, and you can see the ribs even through the pygmy's thick haircoat.

Or, coudln't it be that these guys are very wormy and therefor have tubby bellies?

Also, when my goats have full rumens, their stomach changes so that they don't have that hollowed out area, quite the opposite of this goat in the pic.

I think there's a good chance that these goats are being starved. More pics would help of this and other goats involved. Turn those pics into the local humane animal care place.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The goats are starving to death. The one in the photo is expecting a baby goat soon. The person that sent me these photos does know were these folks live but right now they can not do anything due to they are now out of town due to a death in family. We know for a fact these animals are starving because if a goat wasn't starving would not have ribs showing nor their hip bones like that. There are other photos of that goat an I have never seen a goat look that poor in my life. Yes goats do get some thin but these are in bad shape. Also these goats should be nice an round not skinning like that because they are a mixed of pygmies an pygmies are suppose to be nice around not like that. Also one other thing there is over 5 bucks running with these goats and as soon have babies they get expecting again. For myself I can not do anything right now because I'm not home nor live close by but do know the people that sent these photos.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
These are pictures of truly starving goats. See the sucked in bodies, the rough hair, the flat rumens, the bones stocking out everywhere?? This was the day I brought them home. See the difference between these and the goats in those pictures you were sent??

This is the same doe as above, after getting proper care.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Yep, more pictures would help. But the goats in the pictures you sent are not starving. Not yet. Even pregnant goats don't have a rumen that big if they are starving, I know that from personal experience too. Dairy goats often look very ribby with hip bones sticking out way more than the goat in your photo. Starving goats do not have thick, shiny hair like that goat either. A pygmy with dairy blood in them can be very bony, I've seen that as well.
I say you need more photos and more facts than you have before reporting. If the goat in that photo is starving...based on its looks.....then I have starving goats here too. :) Running to report them based on the pictures you have....is just plain interference in my mind. You need more proof.

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
Where are these goats? Maybe someone here could go see with their own eyes, if we knew where to go.

We recently had a situation within 15 miles of me, where 30-40 goats starved to death. I wish I had known before it was too late. They must have suffered terribly.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ozark Jewels take a big look at the bottom photo link an give it time to load you will see that the goat is to starving plus the neighbors around say that they are also starving. My daughter's friends son has goats an they do not look like that at all. If you will also look you will see there is no grass for the goats to eat. Yes Yes lots of them looks fat from a distance but when come up close you will see how thin they are an eatting nothing but dirt or grass as close to the ground as can be. When my friend gets back from the death in family I will tell them to report this. There was also someone else in the same county got reported an it turned out to be all lies not truth. Their goats wasn't looking like that at all an got reported and the animal control found out it wasn't true but these goats in are a different matter. Oh if these goats wasn't in bad shape they would done been sold.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Only other thing I must say then is you didn't look at the photos worth a dime. You would see there is no grass for the animals to eat nor the black goat would look that bad. There is other photos of goats but not a close up shot like that one ether. That isn't the rumen of the goat ether it's the baby goat not rumen. I also know because I own cows, goats an other livestock an mine has never been that thin. Yes I have dairy goats, mixed goats with my livestock an they are nice looking. Now I got to get back to work. I will get more photos of the goats myself when go back through west va on down to tennesse on way to home.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
I have taken a good look at both photos. I also see two goats in the background who are round and not starving. I stand by what I said. Unless you get more information, you are messing with whats not your business. More pictures, more info, your own eye-witness account. I'd really be interested in that.
Yes, the pasture is short. Do you know they don't get hay or anything? No.
You can sell anything. The fact that they are not sold, does not mean they are in bad shape.
I would really like to see more pictures. And unless they have talked to the owners about it and found out what their situation is, its jumping the gun to say they need reported. Maybe they are having a rough time?? Not that its an excuse, but it would be neighborly to find out before reporting it.
I'm off to do my chores now. While I'm at it I think I'll take some pictures of some bony working girls. Dairy girls are bony, and if that pygmy is part dairy....its more understandable.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
goat^farmer said:
I will get more photos of the goats myself when go back through west va on down to tennesse on way to home.
Good! That is something I'd like to see before we all make snap judgements. :)

L

·
0 Posts
ozark_jewels said:
I have taken a good look at both photos. I also see two goats in the background who are round and not starving.
I see those too.

Pics can be deceiving, but from what I can see in that second pic, those goats aren't starving. They do look like maybe they should have a little grain in their diet, but at this point, they are ok. Not tip-top shape, but ok.

·
Retired Coastie
5,077 Posts
Hate to stir the pot, but the goat in the photo has extremely poor conformation and may need some individual care, nutritionally or medically. She is probably standing on the bottom rung of the pecking order ladder and is getting less food than others. After viewing the second photo I find that the remainder of the herd appears to be thriving, by magnifying the photo a couple even look fat. Why report the owner to the authorities based on one goat, the second photograph clearly shows healthy goats, not starving goats. You asked for opinions so here is mine.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I'm with Ozark on this. Our dairy girls are VERY hard to keep weight on, but are by no means starving. They get at least 3 pounds of grain a day, a couple pounds or more of alfalfa, free choice hay and graze/browse.

On rainy days, when they don't go out and browse, they look especially bony. I think it is because they don't drink as much water - the skin isn't as plump.

I would be EXTREMELY annoyed if someone were to report us without understanding the facts.

Try to get more information before you do anything irrevocable.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
I also agree that they do not look like they are starving. Some goats are harder to keep weight on than others. The second picture they look fine. The one in the front is a bit thin, but not what I would consider starving thin.

·
Icelandic Sheep
3,348 Posts
I think everything looks fine too.

I remember when I first got my Nubian, Mocha. She came straight from an excellent breeder in tip top shape. My first thought when I saw her was that she was too thin because of the way their sides curve in front of their pelvis. I didn't understand what a goat was supposed to look like :) Mocha was/is fine and healthy.

And so are these goats. (I noticed the round goats in the back too.)

:) RedTartan

·
Registered
504 Posts
All of the goats in the background look fine to me. It is possible that even if one doe is sickly, perhaps the owner is doing what they can to save her. Perhaps she is a rescue goat, who knows? If the "neighbors" are so concerned, why are they trying to get you involved when you don't live near there? I had a nubian doe who started losing weight.... I did everything I could trying to get her to gain weight, turns out the lady who gave her to me did not tell me she had CAE. I eventually lost her, even though I did everything I could to save her. All of my other goaties look fine and I would have been REALLY upset if someone had reported me over a goat that I was trying to save. I think that if the neighbors are so upset, they should be the ones to ask the owner questions, and I sure would not "jump the gun" to make a judgement here. You may not know all of the circumstances and as I said, the other goats look fine to me and to me, it is obvious that they are eating. Just my opinion, but I think you have been given some sound advice.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I almost hate to jump on this train but those goats, from the pictures you've posted, are not starving to death. I have very well fed dairy does and some days they look just like that black doe does in the picture. As said by someone else, dairy does are very hard to keep weight on. They put so much into milk and kid production.

I think that someone needs to sit down and talk to the owner of these goats and ask some questions before running to the authorities. That would be the respect that I would expect from a fellow goat owner. I wouldn't want someone assuming that I was starving my goats without asking a few basic questions.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts