Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
41,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m walking down the street minding my own business when a deputy came up to me and demanded I give him my 357 magnum revolver, properly holstered in plain view. (ky has open carry) I very calmly and politely told him no. Mentioning my second amendment rights.

When he reached to take it I again calmly grabbed his arm and told him no. I also tossed him over the handrail. Luckily he wasn’t injured and immediately came trotting back up the stairs demanding my revolver. Once again he went over the railing, once again he scrambled back up to me. I calmly said to him.... ok, we can spend the rest of the morning doing this... or... we can take it up with the sheriff.

For whatever reason he opted for the latter. When the sheriff arrived shortly he too demanded my revolver and just as quickly went over the same railing. The sheriff opted to listen to me recite the second amendment and a reminder that he was sworn to uphold the law, particularly when it’s the highest law in the land. He got an odd look on his face and said,,,, I see your point.., please be careful with your sidearm.

I shook his hand and was walking away thinking what a great day. That’s when my dog barked wanting to go out and woke me up from the nicest dream ever!

·
newfieannie
9,925 Posts
that's interesting! there was a retired judge handcuffed on the street around somewhere(maybe alberta. not sure) anyway they had the discription of a 40 year old. the judge was 81. it was just for a few min until they found out who he was and that it was not the suspect. i think i probably would have been pleased. i must say he did look good for 81. ~Georgia

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I was all ready to call B.S. until I came to the end. 😁
We can carry sidearm here in town. Concealed weapon with a permit which i have. Easy to get one just go to court
house for one. Some stores like Walmart has a sign on door no weapows allowed however no one ever checks me.

·
STILL not Alice
20,197 Posts
Nice dream!

When we first moved to MO, the law was open carry. Admittedly, I was a bit nervous carrying open, but DH insisted that he would always always carry now that we lived in a relatively free state. I did not relax totally until, one day at the Signal station, as DH was opening the car door for me, a local LEO commented to him how nice it was to see a man opening a door for his wife, and that the man was able to defend his woman.

A few years ago, MO Law became Constitutional Carry, and a lot of folks became legal. ;)

The stores around here don't give anyone grief about carrying. If they did, we'd leave. Did that one time in Columbia, when a woke store clerk at an expensive "health food" store repeatedly asked DH to remove his gun and put it in our car. He informed her that it is illegal to do that. She wouldn't back down, so we left our very full cart right there and walked out.

DH wrote a letter to the store's corporate, got an incredibly sincere apology, and informed that the clerk who caused the ruckus has been educated that the store has always allowed firearms.

<shrug>

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I can tell it is Tourist season where I live. I love to hike in the woods with my dogs and am fortunate to have a beautiful state park about 10 miles from where I live. As the tourist start coming up, I hike more on the more remote trails in the park that go way back into the wilds of Minnesota. When I hike, I carry a gun. Not so much for the 4 legged animals, but more so to protect from the 2-legged ones that I do not trust especially in the middle of nowhere. Saturday, I took the dogs on an 8 mile hike way back. Pistol on my hip, covered in ticks when I reached my car after the journey. City folks just getting out of their car. to hike the 1 mile long scenic over hiked trail.."are you supposed to carry a gun in the park?" "DNR says as long as I'm licensed I can" "But you don't really need it to fight off bears do you" "well no, I don't worry about the bears....It's the no-good city people I'm afraid of" :D Not a dream, an actual conversation. HA

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Since I can't hear tone in your post, I believe the person you had the conversation with was either concerned about the dangers of the hike, or they were downplaying your need to carry?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
that's interesting! there was a retired judge handcuffed on the street around somewhere(maybe alberta. not sure) anyway they had the discription of a 40 year old. the judge was 81. it was just for a few min until they found out who he was and that it was not the suspect. i think i probably would have been pleased. i must say he did look good for 81. ~Georgia
The incident happened in British Columbia . The retired black judge was out for an early morning walk when stopped and questioned by police. They said he fit the description of a suspect they were looking for. They wouldn't allow the judge to explain who he was or call someone to confirm his identity. After being handcuffed he finally made them realize the had the wrong man! The judge was 81 and suspect in early forties! All I can say that judge must be in very good shape to be mistaken for a forty something man! Or was it the police only saw his color? The former judge was gracious and has strongly suggested some changes in policy at the local level of policing. Mistakes do happen as my own husband was stopped crossing a street in town. Police asked for ID and asked his age? Bill was 72 yrs at the time. Police said he fit the description of a patient who had escaped from the mental ward at the hospital a short time ago. The missing man was 24 yrs. old ! Now I know my husband has aged well but 48 years is stretching things a bit! There was no race judging in this incident; just bad eye sight or poor judgment .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts