This might be off topic but....

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Arklady, May 3, 2006.

1. Arklady

Arklady Well-Known Member

I wasn't sure where to post it so here goes....

I need some really great jerky recipes. I have nearly 30 plastic gallon jugs my son brought home from his work to store the jerky in but I need the recipes for some really good jerky. If you ever tasted walmarts regular flavor jerky my kids like that flavor. I am really not wanting to buy the kits they are just too expensive. I have plenty of salt so that won't be an issue. I just need a really good recipe for it and then I can start working on gathering the ingredients. Money has been more than just a little tight and I am gona start stocking up now if I can buying some dried foods from that place online and doing some other drying things. Plus pickling eggs. I hear they are pretty good, and I figured if I am going to throw that many eggs to my dogs I could picklie them and make noodles and store them as well... Anyone got a noodle maker they no longer need. My sister has one but she won't give it to me says one day she is gona make noodles. :shrug: Well anyways let me know.

Arklady

2. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

Slice the meat about a quarter inch thick, marinade for a couple hours or overnight in soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, BBQ sauce, garlic, black pepper and/or whatever else is convenient (or sounds good).

I don't know that this recipe will duplicate the Wal-Mart variety, but it is not difficult to make good jerky -- and anyone who doesn't like it leaves more for others.

3. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

4. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Make hamburger rocks.

5. Maggiemoo

Maggiemoo BunnySlave

I also like to use wine as a marinade. With Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and other spices. Try different things til you find what works for you. The marinade will keep a fairly long time in the refrigerator and you can add to it and reuse it.