Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a person holding an office is up for re-election (has been in the office for a while). There are 11 other candidates for the office. Most of the candidates do not even have a website. I have not seen a single sign for any of them. I really like on of the candidates (because I actually spent hours to find out who these candidates are) but ... odds are, he won't get anywhere because hardly anyone even knows his name.

I was at the early voting place today ... the only signs for this office are from the opponent from the "other big party". Funny thing is that he does not put his party name on the sign (in our area, most people lean towards the incumbent's party). The incumbent obviously thinks he is getting re-elected because otherwise he would at least have a sign out there.

It is frustrating that if I vote for the guy I like, it is basically takes a vote from the incumbent and gives the opponent from the other big party a better chance. While there are things I do not like about the incumbent, I really do not like his other big party opponent.

This just irks me .... how can we get any real people into any office in this set up?

·
Premium Member
41,011 Posts
So a person holding an office is up for re-election (has been in the office for a while). There are 11 other candidates for the office. Most of the candidates do not even have a website. I have not seen a single sign for any of them. I really like on of the candidates (because I actually spent hours to find out who these candidates are) but ... odds are, he won't get anywhere because hardly anyone even knows his name.

I was at the early voting place today ... the only signs for this office are from the opponent from the "other big party". Funny thing is that he does not put his party name on the sign (in our area, most people lean towards the incumbent's party). The incumbent obviously thinks he is getting re-elected because otherwise he would at least have a sign out there.

It is frustrating that if I vote for the guy I like, it is basically takes a vote from the incumbent and gives the opponent from the other big party a better chance. While there are things I do not like about the incumbent, I really do not like his other big party opponent.

This just irks me .... how can we get any real people into any office in this set up?
Start up a new party.... one that appeals to a majority of folks, then promote it and find qualified candidates to run. Its been done before. Nobody votes for whigs or tories these days. Dishonest Abe was the first republican president.

·
Registered
16,445 Posts

Get to work. Call up the guy you like and volunteer to put a sign in your yard. Throw a get together for your friends and neighbors and tell them what a great guy he is. Better yet, invite him also and let them learn for themselves. Make phone calls. The system won't change itself. If you want to change things you have to be an agent of that change.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get to work. Call up the guy you like and volunteer to put a sign in your yard. Throw a get together for your friends and neighbors and tell them what a great guy he is. Better yet, invite him also and let them learn for themselves. Make phone calls. The system won't change itself. If you want to change things you have to be an agent of that change.
All good points ... at this point, I don't have time and resources for that. I have put my time into campaigning for a constitutional amendment that is higher on my priority list than who is in this office (thus the reason for my hanging around the early voting office). But yes, you are right :)

·
de oppresso liber
16,876 Posts
What two parties do we have? What we have is like having the choice between Coke and Diet Coke. They may look different but its still Coke and if you want a Pepsi or root beer you are out of luck.

We have the dem party and the dem lite party. Each wants to use tax dollars to buy votes to stay in office its just that one of them want to use a few million a year less than the other.

·
Registered
16,445 Posts
All good points ... at this point, I don't have time and resources for that. I have put my time into campaigning for a constitutional amendment that is higher on my priority list than who is in this office (thus the reason for my hanging around the early voting office). But yes, you are right :)
Not to be too critical but you don't have time to make one phone call to see if a yard sign is available? I appreciate your work towards passing whatever the amendment is but laws are only as good as those we put in charge to enforce them.

·
Banned
292 Posts
They have to be backed by one of the two big parties, and have corporate financing or you will never know who they are. In most cases their names don't even get onto the ballot.

The idea that we choose our representatives is one of the great myths of the modern world. We can vote for a candidate that has been chosen by large financial interests and one of two political parties. All the suggestions to go out and start your own party and etc, are nonsense. Unless you appeal to the powers that be, you are never going to get the funding or media time that you will need. No candidate that puts the needs of main street ahead of wall st or large banking/financial interests will ever get into any major office. We saw how Ron Paul was treated by the media and by members of his own party. That's about as close as any 'real candidate' has gotten in many decades.

·
Premium Member
41,011 Posts
They have to be backed by one of the two big parties, and have corporate financing or you will never know who they are. In most cases their names don't even get onto the ballot.

The idea that we choose our representatives is one of the great myths of the modern world. We can vote for a candidate that has been chosen by large financial interests and one of two political parties. All the suggestions to go out and start your own party and etc, are nonsense. Unless you appeal to the powers that be, you are never going to get the funding or media time that you will need. No candidate that puts the needs of main street ahead of wall st or large banking/financial interests will ever get into any major office. We saw how Ron Paul was treated by the media and by members of his own party. That's about as close as any 'real candidate' has gotten in many decades.
And yet Ron Paul keeps getting elected. His son Rand is well liked here in Kentucky.

·
Registered
16,445 Posts

Political change doesn't come from the top down. It comes from the bottom up. Start with local elections, town councils, school boards, mayor, selectman, library board. If you can't find someone you like, run yourself. Support people you like locally and encourage them to climb the ladder. It's tough to win your first election. Tough to try again. But if you believe in what your trying to do its worthwhile. Whining about how flawed the system is does no good. Working and fighting within that system may not do much good but, then again, it just might.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not to be too critical but you don't have time to make one phone call to see if a yard sign is available? I appreciate your work towards passing whatever the amendment is but laws are only as good as those we put in charge to enforce them.
I can put a sign out but we live on a dead end street - so maybe 4-5 other people would see it. So very little impact. If this were a local office, it may work this late in the game. Since this is an office in Washington D.C.. I do not think anything I do would make much difference. (I know, I should have thought of this earlier.) [ETA: Sorry, that came out a little snarky ... not meant that way at all, just being realistic.]

At least I feel that the Amendment I support has a good chance of passing. It is one of those things that supporters are funded through local grass roots efforts and opponents from out of state are pouring tons of money to defeat it. But I think it has traction and it is something that is very important to me.

·
Registered
16,445 Posts
I can put a sign out but we live on a dead end street - so maybe 4-5 other people would see it. So very little impact. If this were a local office, it may work this late in the game. Since this is an office in Washington D.C.. I do not think anything I do would make much difference. (I know, I should have thought of this earlier.) [ETA: Sorry, that came out a little snarky ... not meant that way at all, just being realistic.]

At least I feel that the Amendment I support has a good chance of passing. It is one of those things that supporters are funded through local grass roots efforts and opponents from out of state are pouring tons of money to defeat it. But I think it has traction and it is something that is very important to me.
And one of those 4 or 5 others comes aboard. They influence another, and another and another...... It may have no effect this election but this isn't the last election. Political change isn't a short game.

·
Registered
16,445 Posts

And one of those 4 or 5 others comes aboard. They influence another, and another and another...... It may have no effect this election but this isn't the last election. Political change isn't a short game.

ETA- what would happen if you told everyone you've talked to about your amendment about this candidate you like with the same enthusiasm?

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
I like coke better than pepsi anyway.
:)
I also do, and I am waiting for the new Pepsi and Coke coming out that will have Sugar in it combined with another type of sweetener and will be with no HFCS. Cool
And also be less in calories~! nInstead of 210 per bottle it will be something like 150, that is going to make a difference.

·
Banned
8,092 Posts
but both are bad for you:sob:
Hey!!! The 'same' thing could be said for the two-party system.....:gaptooth:

·
Premium Member
41,011 Posts
The two current parties have divided us into two pretty equal groups when it comes down to policy... The only realistic way to form a third party would be to figure out how to pull enough voters from both parties to gain a fair share of the vote. I dont like republican partys stance on many things, and dont like the dems stance on others... I would be all over a party that stood for adherence to our Constititution as written... without all the incredible "revised interpretations" by the Supreme court. I would also want the 12th 16th and 17th amendments repealed to prevent politicians buying votes with our tax dollars. That would pretty well cover my complaints with the feds. It would automatically reduce spending levels by 90 percent, thus lowering everyones taxes and getting rid of our national debt. It would also mean that everyone in this country would finally be recognized as equal citizens and they would all have to provide their own livings unless their communities (city, county or state) wanted to put up with them. Religious zealots would be allowed to worship however they wanted, and others would not be required to follow those beliefs if they didnt like them. No more "majority rule" but rule of law like it should be. Our federal government would be returned to the government it was designed to be.... a government of, for and by the states... not the people... The people need to be governed of course, but thats what we have state governments for.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
What bothers me about the two parties is all the politicians involved.:) You would think they have a monopoly of it.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
i think - for the most part, people just don't care any more, because they know, that no politician will be able to deliver most of what they promise.

The system for better or worse is already in place and miost know it is not usually changeable.

No President (or pols down the chain) is going to ever make massive cuts to spending. It will cause more economic problems and anger voters. Lobbyists, bankers and power brokers will eat them alive.

Regarding your elections, if a 5 term incumbent is running he/she will likely win again (though not always), so opposition candidates (including their party) will mostly go through the motions, of challenging them, putting the money and effort for candidates elsewhere, that might win.

You 11 candidates could get web sites for a few bucks, use Facebook, etc., walk in parades, make homemade signs and beat on doors, meeting voters face to face.

Sometimes is just takes some effort.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
:flame:
Hey!!! The 'same' thing could be said for the two-party system.....:gaptooth:

Yes, agreed that is what I meant. They both are different forms of evil.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts