This is the polled doe I was referring to...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Wingdo, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Wingdo

Wingdo Well-Known Member Supporter

[​IMG]

And this...

[​IMG]

Hopefully this worked

2. Wingdo

3. Wingdo

In referrence to:

"I have a 1 1/2 year old, polled, doe that has never kidded. She's a beautiful little girl, conformation wise, and is so loveable she's going to break my leg from tripping over her some day! Her name, "Baby" should tell you all about her. We've had her since she was 3 months old, and exposed her last spring for the first time... she may or may not be pregnant.

She has the coloring of a typical Boer, along with the big body, slightly roman nose, "beagle" ears, and heavy muscling. She's got the same height as the Boers as well. This in combination with her general attitude, has led me to believe she has quite a bit of the Boer breed influence in her. The "polled" issue is what has me confused.

Now before I feed her for another winter, I'd like to know where the "polled" condition may have come from. I bought her from an old gentlemen that was so confused as to what he had in the field, that his wife made him sell out so they could move to an apartment in town.

Any ideas, sight un-seen, as to what breeds may be involved in this sweet little mess? She also doesn't seem to cycle the same as the rest of my Boers... more like winter/summer only."

4. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

What does that mean "polled?"

5. Wingdo

Without horns...

6. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Boers can be polled too. She looks like a Boer to me. I don't see much else there. Pretty girl!

7. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

I would think that there would be a polled Boer gene...just like there is a polled Toggenburg gene...my toggie buck is a polled buck, got it from his mummy, he is pure toggie. So why couldnt it happen in Boer...naturally. I would keep her and have a polled line...most desireable I would think!!!!!

8. Wingdo

The funny thing about this whole deal, is everyone that stops by the place seems to want to purchase her ("because we saw her from the road," they say)... the photos do not do her muscling justice at all for some reason.

Anyway... Do you folks see any Nubian, or anything else for that matter, in the build/physical traits of the young lady? I don't, but you know how sometimes when you're too close to a situation you can't see the flea from the dog!

Thanks guys
    Wing

9. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

i would say she is at least a high percent Boer, weather or not she is pure you cant really tell by looking on some of the Higher percentage animals, the sad part is nomatter how pure her bloodline is, or even WHAT it is, you can only paper her daughters as 50%,

but she is a VERY nice doe, and if i were set up for goats again i would like to have some just like her. Boer are the Black Angus of the Goat world and she is a really nice one