This is the farm in ND...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by WildernesFamily, Jul 7, 2006.

1. WildernesFamily

WildernesFamily Milk Maid

that we would have bought if everything could have worked out the way we wanted:

http://www.northernappraisalandrealty.com/drakehund.htm

What a great homestead it would have been!

For now though we're looking at MO and we'll be buying a house and saving up for a year or two before buying our homestead.

~ Jane

2. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm sorry you couldn't get that, it looks perfect. How cold is ND in winter? lol

3. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

It is beautiful...but I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. :)

4. annethcz

annethcz Well-Known Member

That is a very nice piece of property. But Missouri will certainly be warmer in the winter, and will have a longer growing season.

5. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

Wowee! I can't believe how cheap houses are there -what's the catch?? No employment, hellacious winters??

But I could almost pay cash for a couple of those places...this gives me great hope that maybe one of these days, I'll be able to be debt-free...

6. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

wow nice place. Cold winters tho. but hey im use to the cold

7. Oceanrose

Oceanrose Driftin' Away

WIND. COLD. ISOLATED. WIND. BLIZZARDS.

Prices are generally 'great' for a reason, I agree, and if the above didn't bother me so much.. Or it was just 3/5...

8. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Can you grow tomatoes at zones 3 and 4???

9. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Yes, but it would be a good idea to use floating row cover. And a small greenhouse for starting seedlings would be a good idea, too. Also, make as warm a micro-climate as possible for your heat-loving crops.

Kathleen

10. georgiarebel

georgiarebel Well-Known Member

Funny I spent 4 years in North Dakota in the Air Force, and hated it while I was there, but as I get older actually kind of miss it now. I love the South, but it's getting too crowed for me. That's a heck of a deal with that much land, it would sell for a half a millon down here.

It does get very cold in the winter, but you get use to it. The locals say it keeps the riff-raff out. If you're an outdoor person it's a goldmine. I've thrown around thoughts of moving out West when I retire, but the somewhere in the ozarks seems more realistic. (Enjoy more of a four season climate). If I make it out as far as the Dakota's again think I rather settle in Montana (the scenery is good for the soul)

GR

11. Oceanrose

Oceanrose Driftin' Away

The major problem with the cold, is with the wind, it beats on you, and wears you down. CAring for stock in an area like that is just plain and simple hard. Can it be done? Sure! Anything is possible. But, it's cold. I'm not sure what the soil is like there for crops either.

Is that zone 3-4? In MN, we're zone 3. I'd assume that'd be zone 2..?

12. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Yup. Zone only relates to the expected lowest temperature, which of course happens in winter. Since we don't grow tomatoes (or most of us don't!) zone doesn't matter. I start mine in the greenhouse and move them outside when it's warm enough. If we're going to have a frost before Oct 1 I throw a cover over them. After Oct 1 the days are so short the plants don't have enough sunlight to make really good tasting tomatoes so they're pulled and composted.