Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting him to pose for a photo is like pushing water up a fall! He always wants to eat the camera for some reason!

Anyway... This is our current herd sire. He is a little over 1-1/2 years old and thinks my cane is his personal back scratcher! He bred well last year, and has bred those does again already, but seems to be scared of the new girls in the field.

... and no, it won't bother me a bit hearing some honest "opinions" regarding his stature, as this is exactly what I wanted all along. Besides, since I shelled out the money for him already, he's going to be around for two more years regardless of the opinins.

Thanks guys,
Wing

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Bring him out here.....I have a Boer doeling that he needs to meet...just for a few minutes, then you can have him back...promise :) Heck, I got some dairy girls he can meet! He is nice!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I don't now squat about how Boer bucks are supposed to look for the show ring, but this guy is awful good looking to me.

I want him too!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Wingdo..I don't show..so I won't say if I think he can or not..I just don't have that knowledge.

BUT..I DO raise meat goats..and if THAT is your venue..then I would say you have a winner. If he throws better than himself..you REALLY have a winner.

He's a nice buck..really nice. I like my Boer bucks thick. As in meaty. And at his age..I would say he will get a big heavier yet..so yes..I like him!

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
Wingdo, that's a real fine looking boy you've got there!

Sher, Dexters and Boer Goats? Fantastic! What else do you have? (Don't say alpacas.) (I love all three)

Shin

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Shinsan said:
Wingdo, that's a real fine looking boy you've got there!

Sher, Dexters and Boer Goats? Fantastic! What else do you have? (Don't say alpacas.) (I love all three)

Shin

Hi Shinsan..LOL..no, no alpacas..yet! Yes..I LOVE the goats...BUT .. those Dexter cattle are addicting!! We just brought three home last weekend. Two are bred and one is in with Sammy, our bull..they all three had different bloodlines than we have here and we were soooo excited to get the girls!

LOL..have some chickens and some turkeys. In their own way..they kinda run try to run the place too!

What do you have over there Shin? Do you have any Dexters?

P.S. Nice to meet ya!

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,844 Posts
he has excelent length and depth, if you sent a pic of him from head on or from the back i am sure he has good width too,

what is his breeding? he looks like the EGGS buck i had, i wouldnt have a problem breeding him to anything available as he will improve it greatly

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He's a Pistolero prodigy KSAL...

I was tickled with his length (big selling point when I saw him at 4 months), his muscle, and his attitude has nothing to be desired... talk about a ***** cat! His head (although it might be slightly larger than desired, according to some) is beginning to look more proportionate as he is still growing.

I've seen him crack heads with our old buck, then turn around and bury his head in my hip pocket looking for something to go along with his easy manners. I was wrong when I said he was 1 1/2 years old... he is a June 05 baby, which makes him 2 years and 2 months old. He is also an avid tree climber... caught him more'n 20 feet off the ground in a downed sycamore, with a (his) little buckling kid right behind him! That could get ugly!

Speaking of his "kids"... He has three on the ground as of this month, but the strangest thing occurs as soon as their mamas begin weaning... the kids escape their mama's fields and go sleep with him at night! Is that normal? He is very gentle with them and lets them eat, keeps the pushing to a minimum, and lets them crawl all over him when bedding down for the night... seems strange to me, but then what do I know?

The only concern we've had thus far is an insepit cough that just will not go away during the summer months (fine the rest of the year), and his apparent fear of "new" does in his charge. He has had four brand new, bright and shiny, yearling does for the past 10 weeks and I don't think there's a one that has been bred yet!

Man! There's an awful lot of new stuff to learn when changing from horses and cattle to goats... I really didn't think there would be such a learning curve going into all this! Grandpa would laugh his butt off if he could see me now!

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
Hi Sher,

Our land has been under water due to flooding - lost 3 years of hard work - and we have to re-install nearly all of our fencing, but when that's done I'm bringing home my first Dexter(s?), hopefully a cow in calf and/or with a calf at foot.

We inherited a Boer goat (nanny) when we purchased the property, and a breeder living close by is going to put one of his bucks to her. Beginnings of a small herd?

I made a deal to purchase 3 alpacas, but the seller let them go to someone who offered twice as much. (No, I wasn't angry - the seller had been crippled by an injury, was in financial strife and really needed the money.) But I haven't given up on the idea, and am still looking.

We only have two acres, plus the use of an extra acre each side, but I can also get agistment close by. (Though I'm aiming to get a bigger property in the future.)

Poultry: Most of our chickens went the way of the fox, but we are going to build the flock back up to 24 or 30 birds, and introduce Japanese Quail, plus our 3 daughters have been promised 2 ducks and 1 goose each.

We also have a dog, (Rusty), and a cat, (Ginger).

I have just about finished replacing 10 of the twenty vegetable garden beds that were washed away, and also have to relocate our small orchard, which will need to be netted. Three bee-hives were to be installed early last summer, but because of the extended drought that reduced bee forage crops, won't be put in until the coming november.

My biggest project will be the installation of the aquaponics system; A second-hand above-ground swimming pool used to grow fish, with a series of old bathtubs filled with gravel to be used as filter/grow beds for vegetables.

N.B: Retirement is where you can work hard at the things that you want to work hard at; not that you have to work hard at for an income! Sure looking forward to it. LOL

Regards, Shin

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
We have a small Boer herd, also. He looks good to me! Our buck is about the same age, and isn't as thick as yours looks to be. Wanna trade?? :)

Jan in Co

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,844 Posts
honestly i only ever saw my bucks breed a few does in day light hours, so unless your watching him all night there is no way to be sure that he is not doing his job, if the doelings come into season i am sure he will take care of them,

i had my 375lb EGGS buck breed small (compaird to him) doelings gently with out causing a fuss,

also differint bucks have differint temperaments, mine would ignore the kids for the most part but i have seen others display similar actions as you have discribed

·
Registered
641 Posts
Where did you get him, if I may ask? He is gorgeous!! Rowdy Mountains has nice goats and is in Kentucky...from them? OK, where? Gotta know!! He is really nice.....really, really nice. I'll trade you for mine....LOL!!

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually, snagged him up a while back from a fella in the "KY Ag" food chain just south of Lexington. A fella named Maupin... good man to do business with. You shoulda seen this buckling's daddy though... he was a big, sleepy-looking monster when I last saw him!

He has at least 2 more years of "servitude" to pay off first... then we'll talk about his "going away" party... with cigars all 'round!

I am going back to Maupin this fall, hopefully for a brand new crop Boer "girlings" (which was a brand new term for doelings, as presented by my grandson this evening). Anyway... the fella told me, "when I was ready..." and I think I am now.

We will be butchering one of his first whethers in about a month... wanna see him too?

His general attitude about virtually everything is what has me so beffuddled I reckon... he just couldn't care any less, about anything!

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'd love to see your wether. Please tell me how old he is too b/c I have a wether I'm feeding out also. It would be a nice comparison! I have a fullblood buck but I'm not impressed with him. We are anxious to get another buck....one to really put mass on the kids. We should be getting our first big kid crop from him this fall if the does got bred this spring like I'm hoping. Thanks for posting the pic of your buck. He is a dandy. I would love to see your wether, if you get time!! Thanks a bunch!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts