Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When did stealing because you think you deserve it become a part of surivival. Just another excuse for people to get away with something cause some psychiatrist somewhere is giving them a free ticket to do it.:grit:
or let me guess I'm being smug

http://www.cnbc.com/id/28249915

****A paralegal, recently laid off, wanted to get back at the "establishment" that he felt was to blame for his lost job. So when he craved an expensive new tie, he went out and stole one.

The story, relayed by psychiatrist Timothy Fong at the UCLA Neuropsychiatric Institute and Hospital, is an example of the rash behaviors exhibited by more Americans as a recession undermines a lifestyle built on spending.

In the coming months, mental health experts expect a rise in theft, depression, drug use, anxiety and even violence as consumers confront a harsh new reality and must live within diminished means.....****

G

·
It would have been more appropriate to call it "entitlement panic."

If one is forced to choose between making the mortgage payment and the heat bill in midwinter and stole a can of beans to eat that day I can see calling it 'survival panic', but stealing a tie because they wanted to 'get back at the system' is just ordinary theft.

.....Alan.

·
Premium Member
42,690 Posts
It would have been more appropriate to call it "entitlement panic."

If one is forced to choose between making the mortgage payment and the heat bill in midwinter and stole a can of beans to eat that day I can see call it 'survival panic', but stealing a tie because they wanted to 'get back at the system' is just ordinary theft.

.....Alan.
ah but you see, he was entitled to that tie, and instead of going through the proper channels, having the government steal the money from the store owner and handing it to him to buy the tie..... he is saving us money! You see how it works now? theft has become a good thing in the eyes of the majority of people. :)

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
Yep. Expect more of this kind of justification psychology in the coming months.

I never cease to be amazed at the attitude some people carry around with them like a badge of honor. It's disgusting. But then, I'm disgusted by most of our society these days. We've turned Christmas into a shop-a-thon with no real meaning, then scream and stomp our feet like badly-behaved three year olds when the resources aren't there to continue.

There is little moral fiber left, I fear. How are people going to manage when it's not a tie they can't afford, but a loaf of bread? Most people have no idea of how to take care of themselves when they don't have a regular, high income -- and they don't consider what they have right now as a "high" income -- merely what they "deserve" for showing up most days. The general population has become spoiled. I think it would do everyone good to be required to spend a year (or even a month) living in a third-world country directly after graduating from school -- maybe we wouldn't be in this mess if more people had a clue as to how a great deal of the world has to live.

Reality is going to bite -- and hurt.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it would do everyone good to be required to spend a year (or even a month) living in a third-world country directly after graduating from school -- maybe we wouldn't be in this mess if more people had a clue as to how a great deal of the world has to live.

actually they wouldn't even have to go to a third world country. Just go to the reservations and help there. Some of my dad family is so poor at times that they would have to go hunt for their food,

**and before any of you say anything racist or snippy 'NO it isn't because they are drinking' sorry but I have caught that before and it irratates me eachtime

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
I could almost understand if the man was in a grocery store trying to pocket soup for his family. But a tie? How does a tie fit into this mold?

·
Milk Maid
2,873 Posts
Oh boy.... if this is "survival mode" then we're in a whole lot more trouble than I ever thought.

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
I think it would do everyone good to be required to spend a year (or even a month) living in a third-world country directly after graduating from school -- maybe we wouldn't be in this mess if more people had a clue as to how a great deal of the world has to live.

YOu better watch it. Last time I brought this idea up, I got a round cyber-lashing! L! Good luck. :)
Cindyc.

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
YOu better watch it. Last time I brought this idea up, I got a round cyber-lashing! L! Good luck. :)
Cindyc.
I've got pretty tough skin, Cindy.

The fact is, if you took the average westerner and plonked them in the middle of Asia, India, or Africa-- even some parts of North America, they'd be a screaming mess within a week. We've become used to this soft life of remote controls and constant supply meeting demand, where only the most terribly poverty-stricken of our society actually know what it is to be "poor". Most people really don't have a clue.

Did you eat today? Those who can answer that question with a "yes" are not experiencing true poverty. RELATIVE poverty, yes.... compared to the rest of the western population, but not TRUE poverty. And that is where it gets sticky. "Feeling" poor, or hard-done-by, is what prompts these kinds of acts, and prompts people to try to JUSTIFY them. "Feeling" poor generally comes from looking around you and seeing what you think others get without effort.

That isn't poverty.

I can forgive thievery to feed ones family. If my children were starving, I'd probably do whatever I had to do to feed them. That's instinct, to keep your children alive no matter what the cost, but I can't recall a case where a designer tie has meant the difference between living and dying.

·
Premium Member
42,690 Posts
I can't recall a case where a designer tie has meant the difference between living and dying.
I cant say I have read about such a case either, but if I catch him stealing from me, and it happens to be around his neck at the time.......... it could very well lengthen his neck and shorten his lifespan. ;)

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Pesky that whole Freedom and Liberty thing. Such a shame you can't force people to do such things. Give it time though. Lot's of dedicated people are working night and day on it. Soon such considerations won't be an issue anymore.

As far as visiting the third world don't worry. In a few short years all they'll have to do is look outside. We're rapidly importing the third world right here. Won't have to travel to see it then.

·
Registered
465 Posts
There are so many legal and "honorable" ways of screwing people out of their goods or money that resorting to thievery is just plain simplistic and lazy ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts