This is suppose to be the week...

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by southrngardngal, May 29, 2006.

1. southrngardngal

southrngardngal Well-Known Member

Finally my hubby decided that he would eat rabbit. So, this week he and my stepfather are supposed to dress out most of our colored rabbits to put in the freezer. Yeah!!!

Some of them are a little over a year old. Will they still be good to eat? And if so can any of you give me ideas on how to cook them?

We are going to cull all but one colored doe and one of the bucks. We will keep the fuzzy lops, the English lop, the dutch, one that belongs to the daughter of a friend of mine and the NZWs since several are bred.

Maybe if the NZWs see that some of the others suddenly go missing they will straighten up and do their job! AND if they don't then :croc: only it won't be the croc eating them. LOL

2. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hi Southerngal ,,

The recepie thread has a lot of recepies ,,

hub butchered 7 fryers this past weekend ,, on Sunday I precooked one in water with onions , garlic , chicken bullion cube , seasionings ,,

deboned when done tearing into smallish pieces , kept broth to substitute for water in recepie ,,

took a box of Hamburger Helper - Stroganoff used the rabbit in place of hamburger ,, Dad said was the best rabbit recepie I'd made yet :) ,,, and he hates eating Hamburger Helper ....

Hub was doubtful when I started ,, asking me if I didn't need a 'Chicken Helper' type and I'm like .. "It Don't Matter! I'm just substituting a different meat !" .. :p

preecooking in water n seasionings tenderizes the meat from all ages of butchered fryers ..

Tammy

3. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's a bit on the old size, so make sure you simmer it for a while longer, just like you would a tough piece of meat from any animal. It should still be yummy though, if you cook it good! :)