This is NOT for the Wal-Mart Haters! Nice Gift!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Boleyz, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

I know many are going to start lecturing about "China-mart" and sweatshops and "Mom & Pop" going out of business...BUT...I did it anyway...

I had a large area of unused floor space in front of my fireplace and I got this for $298.00 plus tax = $316.00 total at Wal-Mart.

This thing came with balls, rack, cues, chalk, tip-roughener and 2 spare tips. It took over half a day to assemble and it will require some help because it comes in a flat box and is HEAVY. If you're not healthy, don't try it...hire someone to assemble it.

I just thought that if you have a family and friends and an area of un-used floor space in your house or garage and you like to shoot pool...it's a GREAT Value for the Money.

Top is something called "Thermaslate" and is guaranteed not to warp for 10 years (Yeah RIGHT!!). Whatever it is, I'm sure it's probably some kind of thick, heavy, treated particle board...it ain't no kind of real "slate"...

But Hey, it ain't got no real "Slate" price tag either. I figure it will last several years if we care for it and don't dump drinks on it. It Does look nice...

Please take my advice: If you get one, DO NOT wait until the kids are in bed on Christmas Eve to begin assembly...I DOUBT if you'll get done in time!
    [​IMG]

2. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

Looks like you're going to have fun with that! Should be a nice way to hang out with family and friends.

Lynda

3. momlaffsalot

momlaffsalot Well-Known Member

That's awesome! I can't believe the price. Is it full size? I used to play in tournaments...love pool!

4. shiloh

shiloh Active Member

THAT is Beautiful !!!!!
    I still love Wal Mart, even though their managment is trying to ruin the place with all of the really stupid changes. I go to Wal Mart for good deals. If I want "Fashion" I will go someplace else.
    The people who shout "China Mart" have not really looked at where most of the stuff in the "Mom and Pop" stores comes from.

5. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

6. Boleyz

My tape measure is out at the shop and it's COLD here...I dunno what regulation size is, or what you consider full-size...

All I can say is that it's "Adult-sized". Not a kid's toy size.

7. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

It looks beautiful, wow, how nice :) . I shop there and will never stop. as we have so many in my area because we have a Distribution Center for Walmart so everything in my area get new items and fast if they are running low on things lol..

8. Boleyz

K-Mart - 30 miles..gas $2.25

Sears...150 miles...gas $2.25

Target...150 miles...gas $2.25

Thanks for not lecturing me! :baby04: :)

9. Boleyz

Sears has free shipping...better deal for sure...and the air-hockey top at target...

Yep, I shoulda shopped around instead of my usual "Impulse Buying"...

Point made and taken... :)

Edited to add...

I dunno the other ones look like CRAP...I can't get the sears image to load, but the target one IS a kids toy and the Kmart one looks like one built out of sawhorses and an old door.

I dunno...I think I like mine...still, I shoulda shopped around...

10. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

OH that is funny. Somebody just posting a pool table that looks so flimsy and wobbly just because it is cheaper doesn't make it better . And those are BAD~!!!
    YOURS looks like a very sturdy, very durable and very nice one for a very nice price~, some just want to slam Walmart :rolleyes: Course if they would stop and think THOSE at K-Mart and Sear also were made in China or some other OFF SHORE place LMAO

11. A'sta at Hofstead

A'sta at Hofstead Turkey Wrangler

Very nice! A coincidence, we picked up a friends used pool table from Massachusetts last weekend, came with racks 4 sticks 2 baby sticks, etc. We got it for $100.00, plus she threw in a free Christmas tree and breakfast sandwiches (she owns a restsaurant and sells trees!) We had a blast all weekend and the kids LOVE it. Really good for family time, set it up in our workshop/saloon in the barn (has a woodstove) Yours looks REALLY nice though. Ours is not as ornate. I love the legs! Have fun with it, if your ever in NH maybe we can rack em up!

12. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

They had one of those on display at the Wal-Mart here! I think you got a great buy and I hope you and your friends and family have a wonderful time with it!!!

13. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

Ok, I was making a point. :) AND I do have to admit that I like the looks of yours better too.

14. diamondtim

diamondtim Well-Known Member

And that starts with T, which rhymes with P, and stands for POOL! :nono:

Sorry, I couldn't resist :p Enjoy your table without any guilt and Merry Christmas!

15. the mama

the mama loves all critters Supporter

I love it. :) We had one growing up. We also folded clothes on ours and used the sticks to 'sword fight'. :duel: When we had friends over, we would sleep under the table in sleeping bags. :p Great memories. :zzz: I hope you enjoy your table as much as we did. Merry Christmas!!!

16. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Get yourself one o' those ping-pong tables that sit on top of pool tables and you'll have yourself a dang nice workbench or crafting table!

17. Boleyz

The Wife periodically has friends over for an "All Night Scrapbooking Party" (Usually when I'm 300 miles away at the cabin, thank goodness :rolleyes: )

I told her I would make a removable top she could use for those special occassions. :)

18. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

19. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

A standard size ping pong table will sit 25-30 people for Thanksgiving. I've been eating at dh's parents' ping pong table in the garage for 16 years. I bet they never thought about putting it in the family room on top the pool table. Thats a thought. :p

20. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

Am I blind?
    I don't see a picture of Boleyz's table.
    Is there a link I'm overlooking?

I want to see it too. :Bawling:

Never mind... it's there now. :dance: