This is kind of odd.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Rockin'B, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

I went to the website of the Heritage Breeds Conservancy to look up membership info. I'm thinking of joining.

This is what I found:

The Heritage Breeds Conservancy
    is in a transition period and not currently accepting memberships.

I hope all is ok with this organization. It's such a great resource. Does anyone know the reason for not taking new members?

2. IMContrary

IMContrary Well-Known Member

If they aren't accepting new members, are you familiar with the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy? http://www.albc-usa.org/

3. Rockin'B

IMContrary,

Thanks! We had decided to join both. Just thought that it was a little weird that an org like that would stop taking members.

4. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

I can't remember the exact details (correct me if I'm wrong anyone) but I think the Heritage Breeds Conservancy got in over their heads by purchasing a slaughter house. They had some sort of program where the people that raised these heritage breeds could bring their animals to this place to get butchered and have help establishing a market for their meat. They had to stop doing it because it was too much for them to handle. They are probably in a transition period of sorting things out and redirecting the focus of their group.

Heather

5. Rockin'B

Thank you Heather. I hope it works out for them.