This is INSANE!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by pcdreams, Aug 31, 2005.

1. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

I don't know about the rest of the country but here gas has jumped 50 cents over the past two days. We had to come back from vacation 2 weeks early due to higher gas prices ($400+ just to go 1250 miles in a lil s-10).

I tell ya I've had just about enough of this crap. But what can we do??

had to go to the store a few mins ago. gas is up to $2.99 for regular. No thanks, I'll walk!!

2. Gwendolyn

Gwendolyn Domestic Diva

DH just called from Cleveland, it was his week to ride, rather than drive. Gas is over 3.00 a gallon, and FIL said the Youngstown Noon News said gas had jumped in places to over 3.10 a gallon. I called the local Kwik Fill to see what reg. gas is at and it is at 2.79, called DH and he said to go fill up his truck, who knows what it will go to next. Deep sigh.. I sure hope that shift meeting at work on Friday is a raise in the making...not holding my breath. :grump:

3. Countrybumpkin

Countrybumpkin Well-Known Member

Here in NW Ohio, gas is at $3.09/gal, and they are talking close to $4 by the weekend-some gas stations are being rationed already...

4. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

most are saying $4.00 by the weekend if you can get it.

5. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Diesel here is 3.00 a gal. We are walking now. I also have my mountain bike its been sitting around for awhile guess I will get it out and use that for now.
    My DD bf works a t a gas station and gal is over $72. a barrel eeeppp!!!!

6. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

We went to town and filled the car up on Monday. Due to the long lines we decided to go get the P.U. and fill that too. It took us about 45 mins. when we got back the gas had gone up 4 cents. The attendant said it was going up again that afternoon. We've got both vehicles filled, the truck has two tanks, and we filled our cans. At least DH will be able to get back and forth to work for awhile. I'm staying put.

7. whinnyninny

whinnyninny Crazy about horses

Which I think is a major factor in driving up the gas prices... people are rushing to the gas stations and getting as much as they can before the prices go up even more. I don't personally know one single person who HASN'T done that today or yesterday!

I don't want to sound like I'm attacking you, because I'm not, but people are only making the problem worse and worse, the more worried they get...

8. OldFarmGal

OldFarmGal Well-Known Member

yep. We're biting ourselves in the butt. :bash:

9. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

I personally didn't fill up. Their talking 4 days without gas when the supply is gone.

10. 1/4acre

1/4acre Well-Known Member

Soon I won't be able to afford to go to workand I only live 6 miles away. :grump:

11. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

I know one way I'll be saving gas...by cutting up my charge card with Exxon-Mobil!

I've been a customer for years and in the past sometimes my bill was so low, I wouldn't evn bother paying it until the next month.

A few months back, I was a day late in making the payment and they charged me $15. My payment was for the entire amount, by the way, and not just the minumum payment.

I called and was told that it was now their policy to do this. I told them how disappointed I was and got really quiet on the phpne. He hesitantly offered to wave the fee this time.

A month or so later, that's right, another day late and another $15 charge. I didn't fight that one.

I just sent my payment a week before it's due, so if it's late again, that's it for them.

The other company I have a card with is NEVER any difference in price because they track each other. They don't have due dates.

I think there ought to be mandatory grace periods, since the mail isn't always entirely reliable. I've even heard of companies istting on received payments until after the due date just to collect the late fees.

Like many people in these times, I pay my bills just when they are due and not ahead of time.

Sorry if this highjacked the thread...

12. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Dont know your politics,but I pay mine via Yahoo bill pay,you know the exact date it will be posted,and its free,and no stamps.So if you dont have a problem with electronic bill pay,it works very well.

BooBoo

13. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

I heard a lady call in to a local radio talk show while I was driving home from work today. She lives just north of where I live and regular gas at the local stations in her community is at $3.29/gal. -- up from $2.79/gal. yesterday. I just hope they don't start running out of it here like they are in other places -- or closing early, etc.

MaryNY

14. dovelove

dovelove Well-Known Member

Here by D.C. it went up about a dollar in two days. News stations are saying expect to be paying up to $5-$6 within the next couple of weeks. :eek:

15. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

I used to occasionally pay this bill using Billpay through PayPal, but they shut that down.

Does Yahoo bill pay come right out of my checking account? Can you send a link?

Thanks!

16. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

https://bills.secure.yahoo.com/bps

Do the 'take a tour',basic plan is free.Yes,it links your checking acct.They cover all the major outfits for paying,ie credit cards,utilities,gas cards.

EDIT- BUMMER!!!- I dont see Exxon/Mobil on the free list! I pay my Chevron,phone,credit card, gas and electric there.

You would have to use the 4.95 a month plan apparently.
    EDIT-BLOW ME DOWN,they arent there either,they REALLY dont want you paying electronically,I SAY DUMP EM! :grump:

I use my Credit Unions free bill pay for the bills not listed.They can pay anybody anywhere.

BooBoo

17. sapphira

sapphira Well-Known Member

this really hurts us. We need to go to TN - 9 1/2 hour drive to move MIL to assisted living and are afraid to go. Sapphira

18. Lerxt

Lerxt Well-Known Member

6:00AM today - $2.549
    4:30PM today - $3.199

$0.65 (25.5%) in 10.5 hours. There's no way anyone is going to convince me that needed to happen.

19. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Hey whodunit, doesn't your bank offer online banking? Ours does......

20. joe1968m

joe1968m social invalid

philadelphia area
    2.69 this morning
    2.99 this evening
    sounds like profiteering to me
    on the up side... no rush or lines for gas
    it's a safe bet that there will be no investigation for illegal price gouging
    wish i was in the oil business like the leaders of this once beloved country