This is beyond neglect!--buck saga continues..

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dk_40207, Nov 16, 2006.

1. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

So I went out this morning to give another small drench, as the last one went all over the place..I also decided to give another b shot because his skin felt so tough last night, I wasn't 100% positive that it went under the skin....

So..I get him locked to a post....start to try to drench and he pees-well it was a slow pee, but normal. Yeah!, I think...but wait. I go to give him the b shot and his skin stays how I pinch it! Major dehydration! I noticed last night that his skin was like leather--hard to puncture--but I overlooked this:(
    He is bad dehydrated...he has access to water here...so I'm not sure if he is just not drinking or had water issues where he came from. All of our does are fine.
    I run iside and grab a 32oz yogurt container from this morning(still has yogurt all over sides) and I mix gatorade into water in it. He really loved it at first--probably took approx 15 oz. But then he just stopped and I couldn't get anymore down him...

one more thing that I chocked up to cold/scared/excitement--he shakes a lot. None of the does do this. So how would you procede? Here is what I have done for him:

Last night: amonium chloride drench, probiosw/ iron, wormer, penicillin shot, b shot. whew! All in the dark!
    This morning: small AC drench, b shot, gatorade/yogurt drech, pen shot.

I'm a little concerned that he might not make it. It does seem that he has a whole lot going against him right now....

2. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Is he cold or is he running a fever? Shivering can just mean he's stressed too. It's hard to say.

Put a goat coat or old sweatshirt on him. I hang a heat lamp over punk goats. I know lots of people won't, but I do.

You know, people have a tendency to panic and then "overtreat" a goat. They stuff anything and everything down them. Give the little guy a break and let him rest. Try more fluids in an hour or so. Too many "treatments" can overstress them and cause symptoms too.

It always amazes me, on message boards, when someone or something is sick, 40 people will recommend 40 treatments, and I'm always afraid the owner (or mom), will try every one of them. Treat the dehydration first. When you have him hydrated, then consider his other symptoms, or lack there-of. Give the treatments you've already tried a chance to work too.

3. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I wouldn't want to drink more than that at once, myself!

I think the poor critter is scared.

4. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

If he indeed is in the process of passing a stone..hello?..he is probably shivering from pain. Our wether shook...no temp...he was feeling miserable..that's why the vet gave us the Ace..cause he knew it was going to be painful to get it passed. He will also tense up from the pain...in return this will make it harder to pass a stone..depending on where it is. That was the second reason for the minute shot of Ace..muscle relaxer so the stone could pass easier.

Have you taken some warm water and massaged him?

5. dk_40207

I'm getting ready to take him some warm water. An yes, rose, he is scared. He came to a new place and is suddenly being handled all of the time! He actually loved the gatorade...sucked on the syringe like a baby bottle...he just stopped after three syringes full.
    At this point I am more concerned about the dehydration. His urine looked normal, so I guess I will continue the AC for a few day and see.
    I did the b shot because he's stressed. Wormed him because he is new...and probably hasn't been wormed in years. Probios because it couldn't hurt...pen because as he is in bad shape, peeing blood, foot rot, had a nasty scab come off his chest, nad has a snoty/sneezy nose---I figured he just might need it.
    It seemed like a lot to me too--but he has a lot to treat! Pen and wormer were the only meds. anyhow...

Thanks! Oh, and any thoughts on the dehydration?

6. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

You are a good person; the attention you are giving him is marvelous. I will send good thoughts your way (and his).

7. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

hang in there! Do get a temp. You need it for a baseline if nothing else. If he has a fever, you need to know if it is going up or down. if his temp is normal, that is uselful information at this point also. If it is subnormal, that is another story. A temp should be taken right away when an animal/person is sick so you can tell which way the "patient" is headed. Sorry for carrying on...I'm a nurse...LOL.. :)

8. nursefarmer

nursefarmer nursefarmer

Well,sweet Jesus,I hope the farm you rescued these poor goats from is getting out of goats...what a shame.Yet another thing you want to do is get a big RED colored salt lick out there for everybody-free choice......Don't give up-you are doing well-keep going,your goats need you ! press on...it will NOT be this hard always,you just have to get these guys "up to par",then you can "status quo" it,as long as you MAINTAIN the best essentails daily.GET THAT SALT BLOCK...I bet they will all get right on it,the red one has minerals in it too ! GOOD LUCK

9. dk_40207

We put the block in. We give loose minerals to all the girls--but he is in a separate area(I have a young doe that can't be bred yet). DH put it in last night--he did get loose minerals for a few days when he came.
    He is much better. His skin isn't as "dehydrated feeling" . He is also much more active--chasing around a doe;) but that's for another thread....
    Thanks for all of the encouragment!