This is addicting..I bought another one!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Starsmom, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

After our doe Clarice had her first little guy, I wanted to sell him right away, before bonding occurred. Well, too late....we are keeping him. So we decided to take him and our 7 week old buckling to be disbudded. The 7 wk old needed a repair job on his first disbudding.

While there, we saw my friends herd. She has about 25 goats and she called them in for us. She was pointing out ones for sale and pointed out this adorable little Nubian/Saaneen doeling. My son immediately wanted her for his new baby to breed with later. I told him we would think about it. Well, my hubby doesn't make things any easier and wanted to know why we didn't buy it right then. So, tonight we brought home the little darling. She is a handful, we are used to getting babies and bottlefeeding, she is about 3 months old. She was literally bouncing off the walls of the barn. My son has a way with his goats and he went in the barn and after about 15 minutes, she was sitting in his lap and wouldn't let him get up without crying. He felt so bad that he had taken her from her Mama, that he stayed there for awhile.

2. goat mother

goat mother Active Member

WE LOVE TO BUY NEW GOATS BUT WE MOSTLY BUY ADULTS. IT IS FUN TO BRING THEM HOME. WE NOW HAVE 28 GOATS. OUR LAST KIDS WERE BORN 3 DAYS AGO. I NEVER THOUGHT OF BUYING BABIES AND FEEDING THEM. I LOVE BOTTLE FEEDING. THEY ARE LIKE BABIES. WE NOW HAVE A MILK GOAT AND THERE IS PLENTY OF MILK FOR 2 KIDS. WE SEEM TO LOOK AT ONE AND ALWAYS FIND A REASON TO BUY. WITHOUT THINKING OF THE FEED BILL. WE HAVE 15 ACERS. MOST OF IT FENCED. WE JUST HOPE OUR BIG BUCK DOES A GREAT JOB COME SEPTEMBER. WE GOT INTO GOATS BECAUSE OUR KIDS WERE IN 4-H. FOR 3 YEARS WE JUST BOUGHT THEIR SHOW GOATS. THEN BOUGHT 15 ACERS SO WE COULD BUY MORE.
    JUST ENJOYING GOATS WIT ALL THEY BRING INTO OUR LIFE.
    FELICA

3. Starsmom

I know what you mean. We have 20 acres. We have 5 horses (down from 12) 5 goats, 50 chickens, 5 cats, 2 dogs and a parrot. My son got into goats with 4-H and we bought a pair last year. We loaned out our buck, so we were given a week old buckling when the babies came. Our doe then had another buckling and we decided to get a doe for him, so now we have 5. It seems any animal born here, stays here. One day that has got to stop. I'm not sure yet, but think I may have a mare in foal. We have a 3 yr old stud and didn't think he was old enough to breed yet (he hasn't appeared to show any interest) but I believe my alpha mare (STAR) may be with foal. That would be great because I just love the BABIES. I get so excited this time of year watching all the calves and lambs, horses and goat babies running everywhere you go.

4. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

2 yrs ago when I put our bottle trips out in the woodshed after being inside (in the woodbox)for two weeks my children ages 8 and 9 yo decided it would be too scary for them so the slept in the stall with sleeping bags for one night.

Had to wash the sleeping bags 3 times to get them clean!!! :no: :no:

5. Starsmom

It is so hard to stay away from the little ones. Clarice's baby is 1 week old. When we let her out to graze, we have to put the baby in with the chickens so she doesn't get upset. Otherwise, she won't leave the stall. That way, she can graze and watch the little one at the same time. She is such a good Mama. When we brought home Blanche last night, she talked to her over the stall wall to soothe her. Clarice's presence keeps her from screaming the barn down. Of course it helps that Clarice could be her Mama's twin. She watches over all the little ones. When we brought Zorro home he was only a week old and she wanted to take care of him. Somehow she managed to get him into her stall and was nursing him. She's only 15 months old.