This fall I should be doing...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Sep 9, 2005.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Figured we should start a thread about what should be going on this time of year around your homestead...

One of the things I need to do is get the new updated poultry house finished. I also have to plow the back field (virgin ground) to try to get it up to snuff for spring planting. I also want to plant garlic. Oh, and more firewood and some winter proofing. What else should I be doing? What are you doing?

2. 9Pines

9Pines Well-Known Member

I have quite a list to do this fall. ugh.

Cut and cover the strawberry beds.
    Cut and cover the aspargus beds.
    Till down the garden and cover with more straw.
    Grade the driveway because the last two storms made some nasty gulleys in it.
    Fill tractor with fuel and hook up the snowblower.
    Wash and repack the fish house for ice fishing.
    Change the ice auger from the soil blade back to the ice blade.
    Check all heat tapes and make sure they are plugged in.
    Put plastic on the windows.
    Check antifreeze in all vehicles.
    Get winter emergency kits ready for vehicles.
    Fill the propane tank *gulp* and the kerosene turbo heater.
    We just got our wood splitter back from being borrowed five years ago..now we need to split wood for me to cook with this winter.
    Strip the bark off all my woodsticks so I can be carving on them this winter.
    Cover the lund boat, and park it away for winter.
    Drain all gas out of engines (tiller,weedwhipper,lawnmower)
    Get the blade on the four wheeler.
    Wash all bedding and put on heavier quilts and blankets.
    Clean out the greenhouse and have it ready for seed trays in early spring.
    Check all smoke detectors and carbon detectors.
    Cover the air conditioner, grills and mowers.

I think I'm going to print this one out and tape it to my fridge. wow.

3. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

WOW! I thought I was pretty much caught up for the winter till I read your list, after which, I added another dozen things to my own list! At least so far I have

Cut/split and stacked 7 cords of firewood for heat
    Recalked and painted all the little gaps that appeared around the trim during the summer.
    Cleaned the chicken coop and put in fresh wood shavings and repaird the doors and painted same,
    Taken care of the garden produce.
    Chopped down and peeled 25 coat tree trees for working on this winter.
    Thinned 10 acres of pines (still need to rent giant chipper to deal with this)
    Filled the wash outs in the driveway.,
    Sanded and restained all three decks and railings.
    And began stocking up on food stuffs for us and the animals.
    But I still have so much to do >LOL

4. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Never shoulda' read this thread so early in the AM. :eek:

I'm tired already just reading your both of your "to do" lists and wanna go back to bed :sleep:

Good thread tho, makes me realize what still needs to be done. :eek: If I can just wake up... ;)

5. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Finish bulding the house and barn.
    Cut and stack wood.
    Get round bales of hay.
    Burn dozer piles.
    Winterize the chicken coops, rabbit hutches.
    Main things are the house and barn.
    tnborn

6. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Yikes...am I supposed to finish the house and barn too! The barn is barely started (not getting done this year for sure) and the house still has insulation ceilings and no trim around doors and windows and floors and ceilings LOL. Gonna have to wait too I suspect!

7. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

Yikes! So much to do!

finish canning tomatoes

clean and wash down walls of poultry house before snow

pressure wash and put away all lawn furniture

clean up the spent garden

give herbs and perrenials a fall "haircut", divide some clumps, and mulch

take winter clothes out of storage, sort through summer things, donate or store

Those are just a few of MY things. My husband does all of the hard stuff like stacking firewood, cleaning the chimney, and winterizing the tractors. I'm not quite ready to let summer slip away yet!

8. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

well we will be moveing to the farm oct.1 i thing the first thing we will do is get some sort of heat in the old house there isnt any yet and the nights will starty getting chilly im shure

9. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

Been watching the progress ... Enjoy the new place and good luck. It makes me feel good when a plan comes together for folks. Gives me hope. :clap:

10. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Thank God i live where there are no definite seasons!

11. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

thank-you and never give up

12. CountryGoalie

CountryGoalie Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head...

Bring in firewood. More than usual, since we'll likely be using the small woodstove to heat parts of the house and simply pile on the blankets when it comes to the bedroom, with the looks of gas heating prices....

Pull the kennel apart, take the skidsteer through and even the ground out, put the kennel back together with the six-foot chain link into bigger sections to the retirees can run togther insteadof next to each other.

Pull everything out of the rabbit area. Clean profusely (ie, de-cobweb-ize, make sure the wooden frames underneath the caging is still sturdy...). Pare down the herd. :viking:

De-cobweb-ize the chicken coop. You'd be surprised how many spiders live in the rafters!

Burn the big pile of feedbags sitting where the new load of hay needs to go. :D

There are other things, too... heh. That's just off the top of my head.

13. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

Oh No....This is not a good thread :)

I am much better able to cope with all that needs to be done if i only focus on a few things at a time.

I am tired now

Shane

BTW - Top Five List

Paint Roof
    Plant cover crop in garden
    Process 100 broilers
    Prune Fruit trees (Late late fall)
    Fill holes in yard

14. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

We're still unpacking while contemplating our first winter in this old (and drafty!) farm house. Our immediate "to do" list:

Get gas line buried so it doesn't freeze (yeah, it's just lying on the ground)
    Replace windows if we can afford; if not get plastic and maybe devise shutters.
    Split wood
    Stock up on food
    Get blade for ATV
    Finish prepping new garden plot so it's ready to work in spring
    Caulk house
    Put in insulation and new ceiling upstairs
    Get chicken house predator-proofed and repaired so we're ready for chicks in the spring

That's a start...

Oh, yeah, and unpack a few more boxes :rolleyes:

15. 1/4acre

1/4acre Well-Known Member

:confused: Replace weather stripping on doors, finish building the new raised beds, pick up another truck load of manure, pick up bales of straw,prep the garden. Take down yard canopy, wash down yard furniture and put away. Air out the down comforters, wash all the pillows, do the seasonal clothing switch, wash windows(construction on my road everything covered in dust :grump: ). Thats not all but I got tired just thinking about this. :shrug:

16. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Since it is soooo darn hot and humid here in so.Mo in the summer fall is our do-it season. This year plan to:
    Errect the new 12x24' greenhouse we bought,build cedar planting beds in it and some type of potting bench. Tear down the old one.....
    Cut,stack and split 2 dumptruck loads of log tops. Fortunately most are around the length our wood furnace needs and won't need spliting since our wood spliter is in Iraq! Doubt he wants to spend his Nov. 2 week leave in the wood lot!! Need to do a cord or so for the backup stove in the kitchen,too.
    Finish the rest of the raised beds in the garden and mulch the paths with wood chips that a landscaper friend has been piling up for us all summer.
    Prune the raspberry patch,cover the strawberries with Remay and move the one lily patch out of the way of the greenhouse-to-be.
    Winterize lawn mowers,tractor,cars.
    Get 1/2 beef in the freezer and check up on the pantries. We get some vicious ice storms down here and can be stranded for several weeks on the icy mountains.

Wow,making me tired to think of all this stuff. We try to do all the inside stuff thru the summer so we can spend our days outside come cooler weather. DEE

17. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Sadly? Oh transitions........... This fall I have to return some/most of the garden (1/3 the back yard) in our military housing back into lawn, sell/disassemble the greenhouse, level out the lumps from older compost heaps and make sure all my compost is fit to be spread neatly/discretely around the plants by July- or else some paid gardener will be scooping it up as ugly and throwing it away.

18. Sharon in NY

Sharon in NY Well-Known Member

Ugh - I have tons to do, but since I'm 8 months pregnant, most of it will probably simply not get done. Sigh.

Sharon

19. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Well I just got done puting a new roof on our house ( hope I never have to do that again, I'm definitely getting too old to lug bundles of shingles up the ladder). DW took a weeks "vacation" from work and pretty much has all the canning done. The firewood is all in.

In the next few weeks we'll press out 30-40 gallons of apple cider, put the garden to bed, and butcher the pig. Then I can go hunting :)

20. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Ah yes, I will be pressing cider also and butchering two pigs.