Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in purchasing some .30-06 online. The listing states, "THIS AMMO ATTRACTS A MAGNET" What's the significance of that? It's milsurp, so I assume the case is brass.

Any insight?

·
Registered
41 Posts
It is disallowed by some ranges so make sure where you shoot they have no restrictions.

Being milsurp does not automatically mean it is brass cased. Plenty of milsurp is steel cased often with a lacquer, or even metal coating such as brass or copper, over the steel. I don't recall ever seeing steel cased .30-06, but I couldn't swear it doesn't exist.

A magnetic bullet can have either a steel core(we're talking mild steel,so not armor piercing) or have a steel jacket that is coated with a thin layer of copper.

Would this be Greek surplus? If so it is considered to be good ammo.

·
Semper Fidelis
4,609 Posts
If it the CMP military Greek surplus ammunition in .30-06 Springfield, then it is a steel cored bullet with a brass case. I have some of it in my stockpile, from a bulk order thru CMP that a bunch of us did a while back..

If firing the .30-06 Springfield ammunition in a rifle, I don't think that any indoor range would allow that.....

Definately not armor piercing ammunition..

Seedspreader - my Russian mil-surplus 7.62X25mm Tokarev and 7.62X54mm from the spam cans, are all steel cored projectiles and steel cased.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts