Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm quite curious to know if the new research data will deter any smokers here into quitting.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
Not me Some day I hope .Got two uncles that are over eighty years old still going . Seen smog in some city's the air was so thick you could cut it with a knife equal to four packs a day :confused: Id move :clap: Have breathed enough diesel smoke to kill half the county . Fired lots tobacco barns an breathed lots of gun powder smoke . When they run out of smokers what they going to blame it on next .I know fat people they should buy two plane tickets government approved ten ply tires on their cars sit in back seat as they are to close to air bag . Had me a brand of Cigs once named Black Death said on the pack I like Em an i'm gunna smoke em :lookout:

·
Premium Member
18,153 Posts
I've heard of second hand smoke, but what is third hand smoke? Please enlighten me.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I've heard of second hand smoke, but what is third hand smoke? Please enlighten me.
http://medheadlines.com/2009/01/06/third-hand-smoke-becomes-latest-cigarette-scare/
Third-Hand Smoke Becomes Latest Cigarette Scare
Smoking cigarettes is a bad idea and medical science is continuously proving it’s even worse than originally imagined. Science has proven that smoking often kills the smoker, by way of inhaled (first-hand) smoke. Second-hand smoking is both annoying and dangerous to anyone who, willingly or not, inhales the smoke of a nearby smoker. The medical journal, ‘Pediatrics,’ has now identified third-hand smoke and the health dangers it poses, especially to the very youngest non-smokers in a room.
Even when a smoker isn’t actively smoking, toxic dust and dangerous volatile chemical compounds that filled the air while the cigarette was lit are still in the air. And what goes up, almost always comes down, settling onto furniture surfaces, flooring, and all other objects in the same room where the cigarette was smoked. It’s this residual contamination that is becoming known as third-hand smoke...

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
I think it's sort of rediculous unless somebody normally lives in a sterile environment - lol. There are other things I'd worry about before "third hand smoke."

Having voiced that opinion, I'd also like to tell that I haven't had a smoke since New Years Eve, and don't intend to.

·
Premium Member
18,153 Posts
Thanks for the education, BamaNama. In our house, and probably many homesteaders houses too, second-hand and third hand woodsmoke is quite common. Many of the same toxins found in cigarette smoke are also contained in woodsmoke.

·
Banned
2,828 Posts
Well that explains the stench you smell when you enter a home/apt that housed a smoker even when they've been gone for weeks.
Same with clothes & soft goods you buy from Ebay.

·
talk little, listen much
1,696 Posts
I live with a 2 pack a day smoker and third hand smoke is so yucky its unbelievable. I repaint the ceilings every few years, you just can't wash them up there.The bathroom, yup I have had a rainbow of colors and the towels to match - why be normal in a 5x9 space eh? Its hard to go to work and talk to people (as a sales person) and smell as if you just had a pack of cigs with your coffee... its bad but you know what? It isn't against the law for him to smoke and I really resent people making it uncomfortable for him to smoke in a bar, or car, or outside at a ball game... first we out law legal cigarettes, next its pop and candy... who knows where this is all going to lead in the future... are we going to let big brother tell us what to do every minute of every day? They just might decide everything for us being we are too stupid to make our own choices - look, we chose to smoke and drink, how smart is that? We choose to be farmers - alot of hard work for little monetary return, how smart is that....
big brother is watching....

·
Banned
2,828 Posts
Its hard to go to work and talk to people (as a sales person) and smell as if you just had a pack of cigs with your coffee... ....

I'm surprised an employer wouldn't say something, especially if customers mentioned it.
A friend in MI just got let go from their job for smelling strongly of smoke after 3 warnings-she worked in a hospital. The employer said the smell was overpowering & offensive to the patients and their families. The firing was considered justified by the Labor board because it came under the same rules as personal hygiene.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
I find secondhand beans, chilli and beer far more offensive :bash:
as well as women who bathe in some gosh awful perfume (which BTW also releases toxins )

·
Banned
2,828 Posts
I find secondhand beans, chilli and beer far more offensive :bash:
as well as women who bathe in some gosh awful perfume (which BTW also releases toxins )
I hate strong perfumes, aftershaves and that gosh awful potpourri that people put in little bowls in their houses to cover up bad smells. :hand:

I'll take bean & chili emissions over smoke and perfume smells anyday. At least they're naturally occuring. :D

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I used to be guilty of producing 2nd & 3rd hand smoke. Never heard the term before, but it was very obvious in my house! Finally quit for the kids, as well as my own health - it gave me ulcers & made me cough a lot. But I have an aunt who is almost 90, in great health, & still smokes a pack a day! :flame:

Perfumes - especially the warring odors of aftershave, shampoo, lotions, deodorant, & perfume itself - can be sickening - literally. Many food smells can linger on clothing. That doesn't bother me too much, but I wish more people were aware of it. It can be offputting. :hand:

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
4th hand smoke: When you survived being born from a mother who’s own mother smoked.
5th hand smoke: when your next door neighbor or the guy down the road smoked a cigarette yesterday and the wind is blowing just right.
6th hand smoke: If you know someone that smokes
7th hand smoke: If you live on a planet where someone smokes… Ackkkk WE ARE ALL DOOMED!!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
We smoke outside where there is a breeze, so I don't have third hand smoke in my house. And hopefully its not really on my clothes either, since the breeze dissipates it before it "comes down".

I want to quit smoking but I'm not motivated at all. I've always been a very light smoker. I hardly ever smoke more than 1/4 ppd. And for years I only smoked 2 cigs a day.

I know it can still hurt me, I'm a nurse after all!! But I'm just not motivated enough to do anything about it, other than to keep it outside and away from my kids.

My daughter was asking about the tar in cigarettes, and I told her to look at our ceiling tiles in the basement. Some are older, and others are new. The older tiles are brown and they used to be white. That was before my husband and I got married 21 years ago, when it was his house and he had lots of parties and people smoked in the house.

Since we've been married, we either smoke outside, or sometimes (rarely) we smoke by the woodstove with the door slightly open so it sucks all the smoke into the stove.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm surprised an employer wouldn't say something, especially if customers mentioned it.
A friend in MI just got let go from their job for smelling strongly of smoke after 3 warnings-she worked in a hospital. The employer said the smell was overpowering & offensive to the patients and their families. The firing was considered justified by the Labor board because it came under the same rules as personal hygiene.

I work at a hospital, and one of our policies is that we cannot wear perfumes, or other scented things like lotions because of allergic reactions. At the bottom of the policy it says this applies to cigarette smoke as well.

I have no doubt that they would use this policy to fire someone for smelling like smoke.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Well, they passed off enough bogus "research" on so called second hand smoke to gin up enough hate and fear to essentially abolish private property rights who knows how far they'll go with third hand smoke.

I don't smoke and hate the smell of cigarette smoke but I find anti-smoking nazi's infinitely more repugnant and vile than any stale cigarette or stinky cigar. Unfortunately a disturbingly large number of fellow citizens will gladly use the government, men with rifles, to force me to operate my business or use my property in a way that suits their wishes and desires. That is absolutely appalling and frightening.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
cigarettes have saved lives in my house. if it werent for cigs, i would have offed half my family by now. in a nutshell..it keeps me sane:bouncy:

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Thanks for the education, BamaNama. In our house, and probably many homesteaders houses too, second-hand and third hand woodsmoke is quite common. Many of the same toxins found in cigarette smoke are also contained in woodsmoke.

really? didnt know that. interesting!

makes you wonder when you hear about people being close to 100 years old and still smoking a pack a day......

1 - 20 of 36 Posts