Thinning ZAP

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by countrygrrrl, Sep 4, 2004.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I'm painting the ceilings using ZAP (and yes, they're those stippled ceilings ... and YES, I am covered from head to toe with paint from painting the ceiling).

In any case, I'm going to need to thin the ZAP before too much longer but I forgot to pick up paint thinner or turpentine yesterday after work, and have only a bit left.

And I don't want to go into town because: 1. the closest store with thinner or turpentine is a good 20 miles away; and, 2. there's huge holiday celebrations here this weekend, lots of half crazed out of towners who have never been on curvy, hilly two-lane roads w/o shoulders :rolleyes: so i REALLY don't want to get out there and try to avoid being run into by one of them.

Is there any alternative I can use? I know ZAP is shellac-based, if that helps. I have alcohol (including some vodka for making herbal extracts :haha: ), linseed oil and who knows what else lurking around here.

2. bearkiller

bearkiller Well-Known Member

Country,

Sounds like you'd best use some of that Vodka! I'd suggest two shots to go with each attempt to get the "polka-dots" off your hide. ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the Saturday grins!

bearkiller

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:haha: Okey-dokey! Sounds good to me! :D

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Doesn't it have instructions on the can for how to thin? I think you might need denatured alcohol but not sure.

5. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Wait! It's NOT a shellac-based product. I got it mixed up with another product.

:rolleyes: Can you tell I could use a little vacation time?

In any case, it says thin with mineral spirits, of which I have none and no prospects of getting any unless I'm willing to take my life in my hands by going out on these roads with all the thousands (and I mean THOUSANDS) of out-of-towners here who are used to six and eight lane highways and have no idea what to do with our quaint little two lane curvy hilly blacktop with no shoulder.

I refuse to die at the hands of an out of towner who can't drive on these roads --- and esp. if I can come up with a good substitute for mineral spirits on my own!

I do have some boiled linseed oil --- would that make it too squirrelly?

Maybe ... what? :confused:

6. Cyngbaeld

You can prob use the linseed oil, it will take longer to dry tho. and if this is supposed to cover stains it might not work as well. This is a primer? What are you painting over it with?

7. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

It's like Kilz, but also works really well as a primer at a very reasonable price.

I'm using it on the ceilings and floors --- on the ceilings as a stain block and sealant of a sorts (I'm covering years of leaks before I put a new roof on last summer and --- well, the ceiling's never been painted), and on the floor as a primer. The areas of the floor I've already used it on, it works perfectly. I just got the bright idea to use it on the ceilings a few days ago --- when I finally realized I have no choice but to paint them, unless I plan on never raising my eyes high enough to see the ceiling. :haha:

8. Cyngbaeld

I've never used it, but I have used KILZ. Nasty smelling stuff! If you thin with linseed oil you will have to use an oil based paint over it. I don't have any idea if you would still need oil based if you thinned with mineral spirits. Also, most of that stuff doesn't block stains if it is thinned at all.

9. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Yes, it's really dreadful smelling --- I've had the fan (but not the a/c) of the central air running all day, as well as more than a few open windows.

Okay, well, maybe I'll give up on thinning it, as the entire purpose in using it on the ceiling is as a stain block. It's just so thick, it's kind of hard to work with --- but I'll just go have a cup of tea and gather my strength to do it anyway! :yeeha:

10. bearkiller

bearkiller Well-Known Member

Well Countrrrrrry,

Don't forget the Vodka in that tea!!!!

bearkiller