Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this week I went to replace a few prep items that I've been using. Imagine my surprise when they were not on the shelves. I ask when they would get them in stock and was told they would no longer be carrying them.

One was a roller & papers for home made cigs. I can see the roller being dropped b/c they consider it drug paraphernalia. They still sell the bags of tobacco, but not the papers or rollers. :shrug: The bags have a couple packs of short papers in them (not enough!), but I like the long papers and always bought them to roll long cigs (think generic "Virginia Slims"). I guess I'll have to do some early spring cleaning and keep my fingers crossed that I find my old roller.

The one that shocked me most was canning jar lids. They sell out as fast as they stock them so why would they no longer carry them? I suspect that it's not by choice, but b/c they can't get them anymore. They said they won't restock them next spring so I need to find them somewhere else to buy them. :eek:

I also noticed that a lot of brands are now missing. They have cheaper brands replacing the good brands that I used to buy. I buy a certain kind of TP b/c it doesn't clog up the septic tank. They don't sell it anymore and they won't be getting it in the future. Some of the other things are now brands I've never heard of. The good stuff is missing from the shelves.

This isn't a lot of things, but enough to make me raise my eyebrows just a bit and wonder why the sudden changes. It makes me wonder if they are having supplier problems?

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
I have found that a lot of items are being replaced with quick-to go products. Canned fruit - there used to be a whole aisle of it. Now there are a few cans, but mostly the single serving ones - with jello.

Places like Wal Mart change suppliers as quickly as they run one supplier out of business or find one that will sell their products more cheaply than the former supplier.

I couldn't say why exactly. Be nice to know.

·
Banned
1,627 Posts
One was a roller & papers for home made cigs. I can see the roller being dropped b/c they consider it drug paraphernalia.?

there is a guy up in the village that rolls his ciggs with 2 fingers and his thumb, hope he don't get caught with all those drug paraphernali digits.

you can buy the rollers on ebay.

I have looked in 3 wal marts for any left over lids this past week, they had everything but the lids.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Spinner, if you can find or shop at a smaller grocery store, you should approach the manager/owner about ordering items in case lots. Large stores do not want inventory (canning lids) taking up shelf space for several months waiting to sell.

The smaller store should welcome the business and should give you a better deal for a case lot. No stockers, cashiers or baggers to pay. No shoplifting to contend with, especially on small items like canning lids or papers.

Shop the store some first and get to know the people there. The atitude of walking in with a statement that, "wall mart or winn dixie doesn't have it so I will try here", will not work.

Any item put in a septic system will help clog it (washing machine lint, tp,****,etc). Get family members to save PAPER bags from stores, fast food places for you. Put soiled (#2) paper in that bag. (#1) paper can go in the regular trash as it is virtually sterile (except if a UTI is present).

Once the tp dries there is NO ODOR and the closed bags can be disposed of safely. You could dispose of all tp in this manner and save your septic system.

·
www.HarperHillFarm.com
3,089 Posts
Any item put in a septic system will help clog it (washing machine lint, tp,****,etc). Get family members to save PAPER bags from stores, fast food places for you. Put soiled (#2) paper in that bag. (#1) paper can go in the regular trash as it is virtually sterile (except if a UTI is present).

Once the tp dries there is NO ODOR and the closed bags can be disposed of safely. You could dispose of all tp in this manner and save your septic system.

Or, give up toilet paper and switch to the family cloth instead.

I bought a good supply of canning lids on ebay last year and I'm set for a while now. I'll still pick up jars at yard sales and salvation army.

No smokers here, so your other dilemma isn't an issue for us. :p

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Earlier this week I went to replace a few prep items that I've been using. Imagine my surprise when they were not on the shelves. I ask when they would get them in stock and was told they would no longer be carrying them.

One was a roller & papers for home made cigs. I can see the roller being dropped b/c they consider it drug paraphernalia. They still sell the bags of tobacco, but not the papers or rollers. :shrug: The bags have a couple packs of short papers in them (not enough!), but I like the long papers and always bought them to roll long cigs (think generic "Virginia Slims"). I guess I'll have to do some early spring cleaning and keep my fingers crossed that I find my old roller.

The one that shocked me most was canning jar lids. They sell out as fast as they stock them so why would they no longer carry them? I suspect that it's not by choice, but b/c they can't get them anymore. They said they won't restock them next spring so I need to find them somewhere else to buy them. :eek:

I also noticed that a lot of brands are now missing. They have cheaper brands replacing the good brands that I used to buy. I buy a certain kind of TP b/c it doesn't clog up the septic tank. They don't sell it anymore and they won't be getting it in the future. Some of the other things are now brands I've never heard of. The good stuff is missing from the shelves.

This isn't a lot of things, but enough to make me raise my eyebrows just a bit and wonder why the sudden changes. It makes me wonder if they are having supplier problems?

You might try speciality tobacco shops rather than the local wal mart or grocery store for the rollers and papers.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
I was in ACE hardware store to pick up a plug for my sink (we changed out the faucet from one with a sprayer to one with the sprayer attached, and had to plug the extra hole.) They had LOTS of canning lids and jars. So far, (crossed fingers) I haven't had any problem finding canning products. I think it depend on the area your in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts