Thinning Fruit

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by YuccaFlatsRanch, Apr 20, 2005.

1. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

How many of us really thin fruit the way we should.

Its just like killing babies - just started today and I have hundreds of dead baby nectarines and peaches littering the ground. Still bunches on the tree though.

2. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

We try to through the thinned fruit in a wheelbarrow and compost it away from the orchard to prevent spread of insects and disease, which could happen if the fruit are left on the ground under the trees.

Jim

3. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I hate too, because I think of all the work that little seed went through to make a plant and who cares how close it is to the next one...

One my trees, I don't thin, because one way or another things happen...on the peach tree, if the critters don't eat most of them, the emu do. or they eat the blossoms before they can fruit.

The apricot tree is close to 40 years old, so it only sets out so much fruit, and it all ripens at the same time. My grapes always get eaten by the birds or snails, the avocados are eaten by the opossum and rats and emu, and the oranges, well, they get ants and white fly.

THIS YEAR I plan on taking a stand. Netting going over the grapes, high pressur hose on the citrus, and I have been giving them loads of rabbit doo. I think we will have some great fruit, this year.