Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does not make you smart

College does not make you smart either

This was funny

·
Registered
33,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
@MoonRiver I thought of your comments related to producing tech workers. I think you are so right. There are many ways to groom people

Someone else said our culture is a barrier to young people being attracted to tech. I think that is right.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,605 Posts
@MoonRiver I thought of your comments related to producing tech workers. I think you are so right. There are many ways to groom people

Someone else said our culture is a barrier to young people being attracted to tech. I think that is right.
You might not be able to turn out enough elite computer people, but you certainly can turn out competent people.

·
Registered
33,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might not be able to turn out enough elite computer people, but you certainly can turn out competent people.
Cream rises to the top given time.

I had a two year AAS from a backwater Arkansas technical college. Companies I worked with sent me to MIT, Queens University, and dozens of training and education opportunities to further my abilities. The whole narrative of companies not investing in people is simply wrong in my experience.

I had budget authority to send people to training. I sent some people, and I did not send others.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,605 Posts
Cream rises to the top given time.

I had a two year AAS from a backwater Arkansas technical college. Companies I worked with sent me to MIT, Queens University, and dozens of training and education opportunities to further my abilities. The whole narrative of companies not investing in people is simply wrong in my experience.

I had budget authority to send people to training. I sent some people, and I did not send others.
You could have come to my company and not had to go to all those 2nd rate schools.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
14,605 Posts
Maybe I did go to yours too
We were Novell and Microsoft authorized so we offered the CNA/CNE/MSCE courses, authorized CIW (Certified Internet Webmaster) and offered web development courses, and authorized CompTIA for classes like A+, Network+, and Project+ certification. I probably had 20-30 certifications. That was back when my brain mostly worked.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
OMG, I enjoyed watching. If the term doesn't already exist somewhere, I think we need to add "Collegeist" you like racist or for those who think just because they went to a college they are smarter than anyone else. Love that the Marine kid was more intelligent than some. And laugh after they ranked them when suddenly, "IQ test were inaccurate". Bunch of stuck up college educated snobs. I'd hire the military guy any day of the week over the others in the video.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
My father had to quit school in the 9th grade to take care of the family and so his siblings could graduate. It was the hardest thing he ever did because he wanted to go to WestPoint and become an officer. He always told me to never stop learning. That is your most important job that you will ever have. And yes, he was very intelligent.

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,134 Posts
College means very little, really. Especially those who use the time to party and skim by with little effort. I'm not ashamed to say I got a BA in Liberal Arts but if I were to do it all over again, I probably wouldn't have gone to college.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I once read that there were seven different "types" of intelligences, some I remember were kinesthetic, music, math, linguistic, relational....and I can't remember the other two (and my memory is probably off). I have always used this as a good way to ensure I never thought myself better than others. That strung-out meth head might be a musical or linguistic genius, and while Lebron James appears to be as smart as a 5th grader he certainly has a kinesthetic intelligence that far surpasses mine (when he isn't hurt).

In my quite-wide experience, I would take the Marine over anyone else for damn near any job I needed done.

For any job I would possibly hire for, whether that is flipping burgers, running cattle, swinging hammer, rooming patients, keeping my books, or cleaning my house (IE: Ability to learn and do anything needed), I would have ranked them as Tyler (Marine), Kaylee (Software), Sada (finance), then Ray (Biology)...and the other two need to apply somewhere else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts