Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
If I need a Shelter
21,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago I got sick and we decided that we couldn't take care of the animals.Boy I hated that :Bawling:

Well got to thinking all thats going on in the world need to look at other ways of getting Food and some money.Got 20 acres hate to see it go to waste.

So we decided to get more animals.Going to have to hire someone to help get set up again.Plus this is a chance to make up for mistakes made before.

Thinking of starting out with Chickens and Rabbits,then Hogs,then Goats,then maybe couple Cows and some calves.

DW is afraid of me getting down and them either hurting me or killing me. :shrug: The way I figure they do so be it.But like she said this might keep me busy enough to where I lose some weight.I do know I can't lift any weight or hold any animal of size.But us working together and hiring someone if need be.

What worries me is go through all this trouble again and it not work out.

big rockpile

·
Jack of all trades
320 Posts
go up to the goats and pig and you will be alright cows can get a little rough.
Just make shure you have good fences.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jacksun65 said:
go up to the goats and pig and you will be alright cows can get a little rough.
Just make shure you have good fences.
Well I always had Goat-Hog tight Fences before.

Worst animal I've ever tangled with is a Sow.I know Cows can hurt a person,but most of the time with them has been accident.

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
6,264 Posts
you can sell out if they don't work out for you. worth a try in any case.
Ed

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
As long as our goats have been inside the 16ft x 5ft cattle panels we've never had them get out. Anything else and you're constantly re nailing and replacing fence.

Start small and build up slowly.

Pauline

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Get your rabbits, maybe some chickens next, see how they work for you. I think your pullin our leg, that you been around long enough to know what the different critters need and what you're able to do. Seems to me you could grow a butt load of hogs on 20 acres of pasture/corn with some electrified barb wire to keep em fenced. Hire help when it comes time to load em. If you was to get killed taking care of your own animals seems that be better than wasting away wishin. Lastly, don't get killed takin care of your critters, the world needs all the good ole boys it can hold on to.

·
Premium Member
5,032 Posts
Start slow, Rock, get the chickens first, and if you find out doing chores again dont wear you out--then add some rabbits. Definetly dont jump into more than you might be able to handle- go slow, and see how it goes.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Farmerwilly2 said:
Get your rabbits, maybe some chickens next, see how they work for you. I think your pullin our leg, that you been around long enough to know what the different critters need and what you're able to do. Seems to me you could grow a butt load of hogs on 20 acres of pasture/corn with some electrified barb wire to keep em fenced. Hire help when it comes time to load em. If you was to get killed taking care of your own animals seems that be better than wasting away wishin. Lastly, don't get killed takin care of your critters, the world needs all the good ole boys it can hold on to.
This is true.You know as well as I do animals get crowded and pushing around things happen.My DW is afraid I have problems getting up as is,but if they should happen to knock me down,unless I can get them to back away I'm in trouble.

I've got one Big Lot I had Hogs in before,that is still got good Fence half way around.I'm thinking 6 Sows and a Boar in there.Sell the Shoults as they get big enough.

Figure get a good enough Cow,put two Calves on her on one side,milk the other side,until I can wean them,then put one more calf on her until she is dried up.

Thinking of around 11 Goats.10 Does and a Buck.

5 or 6 Rabbits Does and a Buck.

25 Laying Hens.Maybe a few Turkeys.

But got to get Fence and Buildings fixed up before all this.Got Chicken House that needs cleaned out.Barn that needs stuff cleaned out and divided.And Fence that needs Replaced,New Built and Old Repaired.This time I'm going to run Electric around most of it,even though I never had any animals out.

Pigeon Lady thanks but at one time I had this place packed with animals.So I know how many it will handle just not sure what me and my DW can handle anymore.

My DW has someone lined up to help in the Winter.

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Start slow but give it a try. Better stuck in and scared than sitting out sorry you're not there.

·
Administrator
21,149 Posts
If you have the space (and it sounds like you do) I would agree with those suggesting you start small but if you want to go bigger (since you do have the experience) why not consider a partnership instead of paying someone for their help. You might be able to even find someone here that would be interested in helping you in exchange for your knowledge and a bit of the meat. Crop sharing has been around a long time.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ceresone said:
Start slow, Rock, get the chickens first, and if you find out doing chores again dont wear you out--then add some rabbits. Definetly dont jump into more than you might be able to handle- go slow, and see how it goes.
Yea got Chickens orderd.Rabbits I don't think they will be much problem.See how it goes from there.

The DW is thinking about working out something with our DS on helping.

big rockpile

·
Registered
847 Posts
I think if someone can spend their time hunting and fishing, takin care of a few animals shouldn't be a problem. \The important thing is proper setup before purchase.
Good luck

·
If I need a Shelter
21,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Siryet said:
I think if someone can spend their time hunting and fishing, takin care of a few animals shouldn't be a problem. \The important thing is proper setup before purchase.
Good luck
Well there is alot of difference Hunting and Fishing and taking care of Stock.

Stock you are dealing with live animals.You can't take care of them at your pleasure.And if you get down or in the Hospital someone has to take care of them.Plus like I say me not being very sturdy on my Legs,my DW is afraid I'm going to get trampled.

Hunting isn't that hard shoot a Deer,drive up to it winch it up into the Pickup go to the house.Or call someone to help which I do alot.Fishing drive up to the river,get out put a line in :shrug:

Yes we'll have it set up before we get any animals even the Chickens.Might not get anymore than them.But I sure miss my Goats.

Here is some I use to have

big rockpile

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
i've said it before and i'll say it again. electric fence works wonders with goats. and hogs and horses and cows, for that matter. got your chickens? then move into rabbits when you get used to the chickens. you've done it before, take you time and do each new thing one phase at a time.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
big rockpile said:
I've got one Big Lot I had Hogs in before,that is still got good Fence half way around.I'm thinking 6 Sows and a Boar in there.Sell the Shoults as they get big enough.

Figure get a good enough Cow,put two Calves on her on one side,milk the other side,until I can wean them,then put one more calf on her until she is dried up.

Thinking of around 11 Goats.10 Does and a Buck.

5 or 6 Rabbits Does and a Buck.

25 Laying Hens.Maybe a few Turkeys.
Shazam! We have two pigs in the freezer, raised three and let Dad have one for the feed costs.

We have 6 does and a buck. Maybe you could start out with fewer animals than 7 hogs and 11 goats and see how it goes too? I.E. maybe 3 hogs and half a dozen goats?

You might also consider the mini-goats, not the pygmies or Nigerian dwarfs, but the kinders or minis. A kinder is half pygmy, half Nubian or other larger breed. The mini is half Nigerian dwarf and half large dairy breed. I love my minis! They aren't as big so easier to handle, but not so short that you have to bend over to handle them :D

The hens are a wonderful idea - chickens are so easy to take care of. I've never had turkeys, but wish I'd had geese to raise this year, with all this rain they could easily have been pastured with no problem! Christmas goose... mmmm!

We have 10 hens, and that's WAY too many eggs for us. (DH has two every morning and still it's too many) I wind up feeding them to the dogs, but that keeps the dog food bill down and they are getting some good protein that way that's fresh so it's good for them too.

I'd love to have a calf to raise, but those rascals are expensive right now! I don't want a bottle calf, but would be happy with one just a little past weaning age.

Whatever you decide - good luck! It sounds like you miss having the livestock around, and while sometimes they are a pest, or a nuisance, for all that, I'd miss mine too.

Cheers!
HSH

·
If I need a Shelter
21,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CJ said:
Why don't you stick with chickens for meat and eggs, and just get a pair of milk goats? Rabbits can be quite a bit of work with the cages. If it's just the 2 of you, between those and a garden...
Well got to think how my mind works :rolleyes: Figure if I have one animal might as well have a bunch,because one animal will tie you down as much as a bunch :shrug:

Yea Chickens and Rabbits would do us.Milk Goats wouldn't be cost effective because we only use half Gallon of Milk a week.I was thinking Cow more for the Cream.Oh if I get down DW can't milk so it wouldn't get done or she would have to get someone.

I just have it in my Head that I have 20 acres I might as well make use of it.Thing is if I put Stock on it I know they will kill hundreds of Pine Trees we spent years planting.The reason I will have to put back up Fence is because we took down Fence to guide Deer by Stands :shrug:

But then I have days like today Hips hurting,maybe I better rethink this :rolleyes:

big rockpile

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I agree with everyone else who said start slow and see how you handle the workload. If you set it up right, it can really reduce the work. The two things that come to mind are feed handling and watering. How much can you lift? Will you be able to heft 50 lb. feed bags or do you have another system in mind for feed handling? Hauling water is the other big job around here, as far as physical strength goes. But if you set up a system where all you have to do is turn on a hose, life will be easier.

Most of the other stuff: feet trimming, moving animals from one pasture to the next, hauling to butcher or butchering yourself, etc., you can plan ahead and have someone there to help. It seems like the daily heavy lifting is the part that might hold you up.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
edcopp said:
You have every right to be scared, you're old. :)
Do ya think?

homebirtha I can lift about 20 pounds.Thats another thing I was thinking I can't milk because my hands lock up on me,takes awhile to work again.Maybe I better rethink this,animals are not ones to wait around if their being fooled with.

As far as butchering with Winches,Sharp Knives and Saws.Not too hard.Plus usually we have some help.

big rockpile

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.