Thinking of getting calf

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by squeezinby, Jun 19, 2004.

1. squeezinby

squeezinby Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of getting a calf to rase, so that I can sell it later.
    I would like to have some info on what to look for when I go to the auction.
    Thanks

2. BrushBuster

BrushBuster Well-Known Member

buy something already weened it wont be that much higher and by the time you buy powdered milk probably will be cheaper plus you will be sure it has had colostrum and be alot easier to keep alive

3. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Might want to wait a bit as deacon calf prices are very high at the moment.

Last winter, before the mad cow scare, they were fetching around $90-100 a hundredweight. Last week at the local sale barn, calves around 100 lbs were bringing up to $175/cwt.

I got lucky and bought a little 70-pounder for $75/cwt. Think people were shying away 'cause he's brown ... probably thought he has Jersey in him. I honestly can't see the Jersey, though ... he is built like a Holstein ... and we have an occasional red calf on the farm where I work.

I was kind of leery about buying a sale barn calf, but he seems to be doing fine so far -- knock on wood!

Here's a tip if you do buy: check the tummy for a yellow stain around the stump of the umbilical cord. If the farmer takes time to dip the cord in iodine, they probably make sure the baby got colostrum, too. Of course you can't be sure, but ....

4. From my experience ..........last year we tried to raise bottle calves as a summer project for the kids (ended up mostly my project) we purchased 22 calves first 10 all holstien bought in Feb/March others bought 1-2 at a time lost 6 of the 12 heat in summers in TN are tough on bottle calves
    so this year we are not doing bottle calves this late in the year bbought 5 in Dec and 5 in Feb................. mortality 0 also I am buying the calves from Experiment Station they get two round of colostrum........

5. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

With the price of calves what it is, buying one now for resale is a risky venture. Remember, calves are one of the few animals on which the price per pound drops with the more they weight.

Ken S. in wC TN