Thinking of getting a few pigs. First question.

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by homebirtha, Aug 15, 2006.

1. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    We're considering adding a few pigs to the homestead. I know I will be back with more questions, but first, what's the difference between a weaner and feeder pig? They have both listed at the local auction, so I'm wondering which type we might want. And if they're not weaned, can we give them goat milk from a pan?

Have you had good luck buying pigs at auction or is it worth the time to try to find someone local to buy from? So far, no luck on that.

Ok, I guess that was more then one question. :)

2. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

Around here...most things bought at auction are there for a reason! Personally, I would locate a local farmer...preferably someone with a pastured operation and heritage breed stock! That way, you will see the condition of the animals' living arrangements as well as the diligence of the farmer in his care. A quality weaner will give you a quality experience on the homestead! Nothing worse than bringing home 'a good deal' and then having to call the vet when the anti-biotics wear off. If I were you, I would check with these guys http://www.albc-usa.org/ I am assuming that they have a list of members with heritage hogs in Maryland or nearby? A heritage pig will be a little cheaper to feed and make the meat a lot healthier with their pasture based diet....if you have the pasture.

A weaner is a piglet just weaned and as I understand it, a feeder is a slightly older pig that is heavier than a weaner. Not sure what else would define the difference? I am sure we'll get the technical answer here shortly though.

3. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

YES! And you can do so after they are weaned as well! Pigs Love milk, and they thrive on it :baby04:
    PS - If you bring them home without their momma, they are Weaned!