Thinking about starting over. Were is a good place?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by daytrader, Apr 10, 2006.

1. daytrader

daytrader Well-Known Member

Its HOT HOT HOT here. I mean they are growing fast as heck. That the major reaosn I invested in land here.

The wife and I loved it here, back then. Now, its starting to get crazy. Way to populated. Checking out at any major retailer is taking longer thenit did for me to fill a shopping buggy and such.

I went t Home Depot today for Plexy Glass to spend OVER 1 HOUR IN LINE for two items. Its nuts here.

The realestate market is WAY over priced.

I can not afford a farm here. I mean no one can.

We are thinking and will be meeting with a agent tomarrow about liquidating all out investment other then our home that sits on 30 acres.

The rest will be 28 rental homes all redone. All paid for. 3 plots at 3 acres and many open lots. 4 commercial areas. Shop, stores, tavern small mini strip mall. 2 industrial sites one with rail access (alone worth 2.6 :buds: ). I bet the agents will be fighting over this!

I have no idea what their commision fee is. I know I will work it down.

We figure the rental homes are worth 1.8 million on the easy side. You figure in the rest. We should be able to cash out and do fine. :clap:

We are THINKING about leaving this area and finding a nice plot in North Dakota or Iowa. Maybe Even Norther Nevada.

Buy the land. Build our simple efficant solor powered and insulated home with wood heat and wind to boot.

Buy a truck and trailer for me to play with with my own MC. Do our deal for our selves and invest in the farm. Not other crap.

I have check in many places. We can do fine in all 3. In North Dakota we could do 1k acres. Iowa almost 800 Nevada were we want to move 6k. Now, Nevada is alot of land. But they have tricky laws and most of the land is none usable other then mining. There is water and some lush areas. All I need is a bit.

Iowa is almost a wash out for us. To much full time farming and grain. I also have family there and the familiy farm is there. It would kinda be a bad thing. I will not farm the family land. To much family around there.

North Dakota is GREAT I love it. I have plenty of old freinds up there and great wheat growing.

I have my heart set on Nevada. No one we know in Norther Nevada. Souther Nevada I have most my family. Fun new challanges. The CHANCE TO MINE! Grain growing is almost impossible.

We started chatting about this today. We are both in our primes of life. 28 and 25. Debt free and with great investments.

Maybe it because we are young. I do not know. Just a REAL change seems to be what we need.

We have been trying to have a child. She thinks she may be preg AGIAIN (like every month for the past 4 years). I hope. I bet that is the change we need.

Please do not get me wrong. I work a 60+ hour a week job. Just when you are paid 1200 a week and earn 2800 a week in paid for rentals. It gets kinda boring. I work a job to have something that is not in my control. I also hate my job. They have a truck to drive. I love driving a truck.

Now, please do not get me wrong. I know we are very lucky. Many would love to have this problem. I know 6 years ago when we went chapter 11 and lived in a motel for 25 bucks a night we never seen this comming.

We really do not want to sell it all. I mean it makes great money. Just want to have the right amount to buy a new HOME STEAD set up the way we want.

If any of you folks have any suggestions were is a great place other then what I listed please let us know. I like Texas, but man. The water and Hay issue. I guess I could make a living hauling hay with my truck from Idaho and selling it.

Just for you poor dems that feel us rich republicans do not pay any taxes. If I cash out my PAID for rental homes NOT ANY OF THE OTHER PLACES. I get to pay $648,000 in capitol gains taxes. :bash:

Not to bad from 6 years ago were we were both working at labor ready just to pay for food and the 25 buck a night hotel room.

I still do not know were a wel fair office is. :walk:

I also as a poor republican PAID IN OVER 50K to federal taxes. How much did you GET BACK! Writting that check made me mad as hell. Listening to the feller next door that has 7 kids and is not now working and doing the church chase for food that is getting 3500 back. He earns 30k and gets money back? He gets a STATE paid for home that he gets to claim on. I mean dang. Were dose it stop folks? We are promoting LOOSERS!

What would many of these folks do if THEY HAD TO GET BY? I am as happy sleepingin a tent. I have plans to cover that that take almost no money. I am sure most of you have the same.

I like Northern Nevada. I WILL be buying property there very soon. I may not sell out right away, but I like it ALOT!

2. HiouchiDump

HiouchiDump Well-Known Member

Well, first, it sounds like you like Northern Nevada. If your better half also likes it, go with your gut.

As far as the finances go, why trade all that in? Hire a manager (assuming you aren't using one already) to manage your property and send you the profit. Sell off a few to buy your new place, take a mortgage if necessary (after all, you have a solid income stream, backed by equity that you could always cash in in the future) and you are still in a very strong position. How big a place do you really need? Six thousand acres is a helluva lot of land. It would take you a long time to see all of it.

3. daytrader

I AM AGAINS ALL DEBT! NO BORROWING.

I am not going to "hire" a manager. I guess the guy I am using now that takes care of thigs would work.

I just want to sell the right amount to buy and pay for everything. with at least 250k to set aside.

I have this problem. GET ALL OUT or get some out. I meanits making money. Just I have other feelings. You have to know this area with out me explaing. The east side is moving more east.

We are at the HIGHEST ever prices for homes and LAND. Farm land WILL cost you at least 10-20k a acre. I mean how could you not cash out. I see a lower market comming in the next 7 years easy.

We love norther Nevada. Dose that sound nuts? I mean we DO NOT WANT TO RAISE GRAIN. With water and SOME fertile lands. I would think with sheep and goats. We would be fine. I am sure I will find something else to do. Like metal and with my truck? Idaho to Texas with MY hay on the back is starting to look good.

My wife found a TOWN FOR SELL. Has 500 residents. ITS FOR SELL. I can see the money in my head, but that is the stuff I am wanting to leave.

The biggest thing that would hit me is the politics. It really is. I am a politician.

Just around here, The personal life sucks. I can not mow my grass with out some one to come complaining about a loose dog. I explain to them to call animal controll or COME TO A TOWN MEETING. They seem to expect me to call every one in for a special meeting about it at 7pm sunday night.

There comes a time. Were you just say hey look. I CARE MORE about this place then you. We are working on it. You bugging me on my land on SUNDAY. WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?

4. Country Lady

Country Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

Something doesn't sound quiet right here.

5. daytrader

Like what? Some one busting there but to get to do what they have dreamed about WITH OUT DEBT?

Debit is killing all you rfreinds and THIS COUNTRY. Its not the countries debts. THE CONSUMER DEBIT. Our contries debits are very low, untill you figure in you debits with them.

I happen to be a mormon. We follow the book and many things most hate. DEBIT is one of them. Read you BIBLE and see if you are a slave.

6. navygirl

navygirl Well-Known Member

:confused: I'm with ya Country Lady.

7. daytrader

Trust me by back ground is easy to check. Nice think about being elected. Check my profile and do a search or ask me. I have nothing to hide.

8. silverbackMP

silverbackMP Well-Known Member

Too many pain killers? Daytrader's sentence are jumbled and he's hitting more tangents than carter has pills. He usually doesn't write like this.

Daytrader are you OK?

9. bare

bare Head Muderator

One thing, if you are 25 or 28 as you say, you might want to change your birthdate in your profile from October 1958.

10. RLMS

RLMS Well-Known Member

Northern Nevada is the place to be if you are looking in that direction.

Our manufacturing operation is in Winnemucca. The land is reasonable enough.

The only problem is: Not very many trees. But good climate-four seasons; and good people.

11. silverbackMP

silverbackMP Well-Known Member

I suspect that was suppose to 48. I also think some of the figures he gave were acurate. However, his grammer, spelling, and his loose thought process (which is not the norm) leads me to believe he may have had some reaction to medication or something is else is wrong (I'm not be facisious).

12. Wolf Flower

Wolf Flower Married, not dead! Supporter

If you feel the real estate market is "overpriced" in your area, sell it ALL and sell it NOW, before anyone catches on. :)

What happened here in northern California is that the real estate market suddenly went insane. I mean they've always been sky-high in the San Francisco area, but I'm in a semi-rural area about 180 miles north of there. Within the last five years, property values more than tripled until my town was rated "most overvalued real estate in America" or something like that. When it gets to that point, you know people are going to start thinking about looking elsewhere, and that's exactly what's happening now. The market has gone kind of flat. I'm putting my home on the market soon and I don't think I'll be able to get as much for it as I could have a year ago.

So sell out now, while the sellin's good!

I think northern Nevada is a good bet.

13. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

Old Daytrader's been a little off his game the last few days...Read his, "Was I Wrong?" thread. If everything he writes is true, he's 25 years old and has literally built a city from the dust by himself. However, the county workers hate him and talk about him because he threatens stray dogs with a shotgun.

He's also a wildly successful businessman, store owner, and perhaps even mayor of the town he's created. He's also got a violent propensity toward stray dogs and trespassers, and relates stories that make him sound like the most dangerous man in America.

I dunno, I wish him well... :nerd:

14. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

Why open a thread asking, "Where is a good place [to relocate]?" if one has already decided on northern Nevada?

Why is a multi-millionare who made a fortune from great decisions asking us po' folks for advice?

15. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Why can't he spell or puncutate or use correct grammar?

I distrust his claims.

16. Bubba Can Dance

Bubba Can Dance Well-Known Member

Daytrader lived in Trent,
    His mind was so warped that it bent,
    To save himself trouble,
    He bent himself double.
    Instead of coming, He went

17. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Methinks we are being trifled with.
    At any rate hope you make your mind up soon, so as the rest of us can stay away.
    (God bless your little heart)

18. HiouchiDump

HiouchiDump Well-Known Member

Well, you asked for the advice. I am debt free, as you are. However, when you have the kind of money that you do, debt is an appropriate tool to preserve the income stream you have created while exploring new options. That doesn't mean you have to take a long term mortgage, but I don't understand why you would risk your considerable wealth on a new endeavor when you can buffer the risk with money from the bank.

About the only time I can imagine that I would ever take on debt again is in a situation like yours.

That said, if you just have a sense that it is time to cash out of your market, you may well be right. It is hard to find a place to put all that money that will continue to grow though. Better to do it a piece at a time, if you ask me. (And you did.)

It would appear that you have become quite a bit more wealthy than I am and in a lot less time, so you probably know what you are doing and will keep your own counsel anyway. ;)

19. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Be kind...we all have off days. What is the crime is a thread about relocating?

20. carly

carly on winged flight...

North Dakota is really reasonble-------especially near Ellendale on the eastern side of the state. There's a small college there, but very small and private....a really nice park with a pool and TONS of land. Houses go for about 50 grand and under in good shape.

Cost of living is lower. Don't know about taxes and such, just been there and thought about homesteading there a few months ago, might still. Nearest city is Aberdeen, South Dakota an hour or so away....