Thinking about raising cattle

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Country Mama, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Country Mama

Country Mama New Member

My wife and I are attempting to restore my family farm. I was only able to save 10 acres and the homestead that has been in my family since 1843 (our daughter and two sons are the seventh generation to live here). I remember my grandpa having black angus and I am bully-be-damned to "do it the way Grandpa used to". I have the barn in pretty good shape (it was leaning bad and the roof was sagging) when I moved in 12 years ago, but an ol timer told me that "it took a long time for that building to get that way, it'll take a long time to bring-er back". Any way, the only thing I know about having 2 or 3 cows is the feed goes in one end and comes out the other. I am not into making any profit, I am doing this because it is part of my heritage and my wife ( originally a city girl) and I REALLY love our life. We currently have 40+ hens that we raise to give our children CLEAN eggs and sell what we can't eat. Now we are about ready to add a couple of calves in the spring (I also want to get a pony for my 4 year old daughter), is there any problem with housing the two in one barn? As we have a hand crank 1941 Farmall A that is our snow removal/lawn mower/landscape tractor, I plan to have someone else plant and harvest what we will not use. Any input would be greatly appreciated

2. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I keep horses and cattle in the same pasture. The horses are much more aggressive than the cattle. They will run the cattle away from the hay, etc. The cattle learn quick to sneak up on the hay when the horses are done. I won't put a horse in with small calves as I fear the horses will do real damage to them. You'll need to look at the sizes of the animals and decide. I would think a weaned calf and a pony would be on equal ground. As the calves grow, they don't usually take after things, so your pony should be ok with them.

You need to be careful about your feed. Grains meant for cattle can easily founder a pony.

Jena

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

We have run our horse with the sheep with no problem, every horse is a little different. My brother's first horse was not a good match with livestock and fit what Jena describes well! Our two ponies have been fine too thinking about it. I guess we're getting better at choosing horses!

4. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I just thought of this too. It's important that you don't put the calves and pony in a situation where one or the other can be cornered, at least until you see how they get along. That is where real injury can occur. If they have a way to get away, they will.

My old mare loves to corner the other horses in the barn. I've seen her kick the heck out of one of the others because they didn't have a way to get away from her. I have rectified that problem.

Horses and cattle are different in how they establish their pecking order. Cattle push and shove, horses bite and kick. I think the poor cows just aren't fast enough.

Jena

5. kathy taylor

kathy taylor Member

It is not advisable to herd horned cattle with non horned cattle. The dehorned cattle are at a disadvantage in the pecking order and may become mean.

Good Luck

6. Ken in Minn

Ken in Minn Well-Known Member

The best of luck on your farm, do look at the Dexters breed.
    Ken in Minn